Almost Clark (Chapter Thirty-Four)

Chapter Thirty-Four

Chloe waited at The Planet until well past midnight. She kept up with the news, having no inclination to make her own. There was something about suppressing the truth that put a bad taste in her mouth.

She couldn't wash it away. There were footsteps in the hall. She looked up. Jimmy was at the door.

She got up hurriedly. "I was just leaving. Sorry."

"Sorry for what?"

She stopped and shrugged. "Existing?"

"I should be sorry," he said quietly. "I've been a jerk."

"I understand, Jimmy. I hurt you and..."

"But I know you're not with Clark," he cut in quickly. "And, I gotta admit, that was what upset me at the time."

She looked down. He had a good reason to be upset. She'd betrayed him with Clark the very day he left. It was once, but it was enough.

"But I know," he went on. "I know you had your own reasons. And I... I respect you enough to accept that you know what you're doing."

"Thanks, Jimmy."

He smiled and walked away. She almost wanted to call him back, ask him to tell her the things he used to, wash away the pain that she'd never hear them from Clark.

****************************************

At five a.m., the news had broken. Lionel Luthor was implicated in the death of Lana Lang. Sufficient recorded conversations existed to pin it on a dead guy. And Lex Luthor was free.

At the Kent house, the celebration was dubious. Chloe was relieved that they were now free to pursue Lex on his own crimes. But she knew for a fact that Lionel hadn't done it. Luckily, he was dead and, therefore, wouldn't suffer for his "crime."

Clark and Lana sat glumly in the kitchen. Chloe sat across from them, nursing her coffee. It was Saturday and she had no real reason for getting away. She would get through this morning. She was just so tired. She'd spent her four hours of sleep fitfully, waking to every creak, wondering if either of them were joining each other in bed. It bothered her beyond anything.

"We need to figure this out," she said quietly.

"What's to figure?" Lana was staring into space. "I can't stay now."

"Well, you wouldn't have been able to stay anyway," Chloe pointed out. "Even with Lex in jail, his deceased wife couldn't go reintroducing herself."

"Yes, but after..."

Chloe's eyes widened. "After what?"

"Nothing," Lana said, looking down.

"No," Chloe said tightly. "Finish that thought." When Lana stayed silent, she tried for her. "After they carried out the death penalty, right? After he was dead, you could just pop up and say it was all a mistake and you bumped your head and landed in Florida?"

"I wouldn't expect you to understand, Chloe." Her eyes were suddenly wet again. "I lived with that monster..."

"He's still a human being. I don't warm up to the death penalty, period. But it's even worse to let him die for..."

"He would have killed me," Lana insisted. "I know it."

"He wouldn't have and you know it. He lived and breathed for you just like every other man in this town. He would have crawled and begged and then screwed an underwear model. Trust me. Lex's sneaky machinations run a little bigger than Uxoricide."

"You're glad this happened," Lana sneered.

"Glad a man didn't die based on a lie? Yes. Am I happy another man who also did not kill you will be remembered for having done so? No. But it's better than the alternative."

"As long as I'm gone, right?" Lana stood up and threw the words at her. "Then you can keep lying to yourself, Chloe. Your search for the truth obviously stops there!" She stomped to the door and threw it open. Clark looked conflicted, but finally followed her, throwing Chloe an expressionless glance.

Chloe didn't waste time. It only took a moment to know what to do. She got to the phone.

"Lois? It's me. Can you come over right away? And bring the SUV."

*******************************

"Lana!" Clark called. "Lana wait!"

She finally slowed and stopped. Her shoulders were shaking and she looked so fragile, he feared she'd shatter into pieces.

He put his arms on her shoulders. "It's okay. I know you didn't mean it. You wouldn't let a man die."

She turned and buried her face in his chest. "Clark, I would. Don't you see? The world is a worse place for Lex Luthor having been born."

"But it's better this way." He rubbed her shaking back. "Lionel's gone. An accusation like this can't hurt him now."

She lifted her head. "Clark, can't you see? We could have been together."

"But not like that, Lana. It would kill us."

"We can be together, Clark." She pulled him down to the grass and sat. "I never planned on leaving you, not altogether."

He stroked her face. "What do you mean?"

"That house, Clark, the cars and passports... There are two names. Lorna Leery and Carl Leery."

He drew back, confused. "You mean you..."

"I was going to come back for you all along. And now I have."

He shook his head. "You want me to..."

"Come with me," she whispered. "We have a home, we can get jobs. I have plenty of money."

"Lex's money," he said quietly.

"Does it matter?" She leaned up and pressed her lips to his. "Clark, I love you. I always have. And we can be happy."

"Lana, I... I've always..." His throat felt stuck together. He couldn't find the words. "I have work to do. I need to stop the projects- Ares and 33.1- People could be hurt. There are things I haven't told you. I..."

"It doesn't matter, Clark. The world's problems do not belong to you. Aren't you tired of saving everyone except yourself? We can have a normal, happy life with kids and little league and camping trips. Can't you see it?"

He could see it. It was what he'd always dreamed of. "Lana, there's more. My father... My real father. He'll call me and I'll have to go."

"Why?" she breathed.

"I just do. There's a destiny and I know that I have these gifts to help. There's a world that..."

"But why can't you help yourself? Help me? We are destined, Clark. We always have been. Can't you feel it?"

He looked deep into her eyes as she leaned up again, throwing her arms around his neck. He placed his around her waist. His mouth met hers.

********************************

"Come on, start the car!"

"Okay! God!" Lois slammed the back and walked back to the driver's seat. "That's a lot of stuff," she said, starting the car.

Chloe shrugged and hugged her laptop against her. "It accumulated." There was no possible way she could squeeze it into her car. Lois' SUV was a better choice. She wasn't sure she'd need a car.

Despite the sheer amount, it only took minutes to gather all she had at the farm. She'd been sufficiently motivated. She wouldn't stay to watch...

Lois pulled onto the road. "So where to now?"

"The bank," Chloe said, staring grimly ahead. "Oh, before I forget." She pulled a typed letter from her laptop's case. "Can you fax this for me? Preferably by Monday."

Lois slammed on the brakes and stared at it. "Chloe, this is a letter of resignation from The Planet."

"I know. I wrote it. Can you drive?"

Lois muttered to herself and pulled forward. "Mind telling me why you're giving up your dream?"

"Dreams change, Lois."

"This is about him, isn't it?"

"No," Chloe lied. "And yes." She'd spilled Lana's purse when she stumbled in last night. She'd seen it. Clark's picture with the name Carl Leery. She was a fool if she thought he wouldn't go. "It's about me, Lois. I need some time to rethink my priorities."

"Good," Lois snapped. "Maybe they'll stop including him."

"Just watch the road. Okay?"

Lois breathed deep. "So why the bank?"

"My savings."

"What?"

Chloe braced herself as the car stopped again. "I'm going away, Lois. Maybe I'll come back and pick up where I left off, but..." She sighed. "I'm just tired."

"Okay," Lois said softly. "Fair enough." She drove in silence for a moment. "I don't suppose you want some company."

Chloe smiled. "Maybe sometimes, but I really want to be by myself. Find myself in a new place."

Lois sniffled. "Okay."

"It's not about you, Lois."

"I know," she wailed. "It's just I never see Lucy and you know my dad's a big jerk and you know I don't make friends easily with my big mouth and you're my family."

"I still will be," Chloe said, reaching for her hand. "And I'll call and you can come up and visit..."

"A lot?" Lois asked, still sniffling.

Chloe laughed. "Yes. A lot."

"Okay, so... The bank. Then where?"

"Well, we have all weekend." Chloe glanced sideways at her. "I mean, you don't have plans, right?"

"Nope." Lois gave an obviously forced smile. "Free as a bird."

"So... You ever been to Maine?"

Chloe braced herself against the dashboard as Lois slammed on the brakes again.

"Maine?"

Previous Chapter

Chapter Thirty-Five

1 comment:

Trinity said...

I really hate Lana in this chap