Out of The Depths (Intro)



Title: Out of the Depths
Author: TheAmazingApe/Apeygirl/April
Pairing: Chlex (others featured)
Rating: NC-17
Warnings: triquel, smut, angst, missing scenes for season 8, alternate season 9
Spoilers: Up to the end of season 8
Short summary: Sequel to Deep In The Bottle and The Depths We Sink To. Chloe and Lex end up teaming up to fight an unexpected enemy… there may be sexual tension involved.

Super long author’s note:

I always planned to wrap up my Chlex trilogy. I just never knew exactly how. I had these vague ideas about explaining season 8 through Chlexy lenses before taking Chloe away from everything before she was marginalized and derailed (from a character standpoint) in season 9. As much as I enjoyed Chlollie, a lot of the events of season 9 featured a cold and calculating Chloe I had a hard time reconciling with the Chloe I knew.

But I always heard these rumors about how season 9 was supposed to be… back when they thought Rosenbaum might come back. I never kidded myself they’d go Chlex, but I remember spoilers hinting Lex and Chloe working together to fight a Clark that was not quite right. I always wondered how season 9 might have gone with that. Then I got a charity request fic from Bek… 

She wanted woman-choking Clark in season 9 addressed in a special way… with Chlex working against him with “some verbal judo, some cat and mouse and a whole lot of sexual tension.”

I pretty much knew then that this was how to wrap this trilogy up. I wanted more than Lex rescuing Chloe from her life of servitude. I wanted Chlex working together, and Lex having a chance to right his past wrongs by being the one that saves the world from an alien invasion. 

How could I resist writing this fic that way?

In other words, I’m finally finishing this trilogy now. I will be dealing with Season 8 and a small part of season 9, but this will be going AU. I really want to get Chlex to a happy end. But I almost love the challenge of working with canon and making sense of it… but only up to a point.  So I want to find a way to explain season 8 for Lex, as hard as that may be. Wish me luck!

Might I just say that I found season 8 fascinating up to the finale? Despite a few episodes and arcs I hated, the general arc (the B&B of Chloe and Davis) was interesting up until they made Davis just another psycho (and negated all Witwer’s fine work) in the finale. It was a bit like how I felt about Lex, though not to that extent. I really wish this was a show that liked their villains nuanced instead of shoving everyone into black/white boxes.

There might be some frustration for you guys in early chapters, waiting for Chlex to finally meet up. They will be thinking of each other, but not in each other’s space until I can make it happen. I’m sorry for that. I just want to explain/fanwank some canon where I can. I never have dealt with season 8 directly and didn’t want to move onto my alternate season 9 until I had made people (Lex especially ) explain their actions. I’ll try to keep my forays brief, only dealing with things either related to Chlex or that I want to fanwank. 

Rest assured, I will make Lex look better than the show did. I hope that helps

Prologue/Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five


Alternate Banners:

Banner by Chleansmile

Banner by Purple_moon123

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so fucking excited for this fic! Now hearing what season 8 would have been like if Rosenbaum had stayed just makes me sad to think of what might have been... But now I get to read your lovely version! Seriously, Chloe and Lex working together and eventually Chlexy smut, psssh. The Smallville writers never would have given us that anyways, so I'm happy to be reading it through your amazing writing! :)

April said...

@jessicakadie: Thanks so much! I really do wish MR had come back, as I think the set-up would have been interesting - the JL and Chloe forced to work with the enemy to bring Clark back from the brink. Of course, true, they wouldn't have given us Chlex smut. I know better than they do on that. :)

jnnfr326 said...

I always imagined that if Lex had come back for season 9 Chloe would've teamed up with him to buy all the kryptonite weapons instead of embezzling money from Oliver to do it. Lex and Chloe always had some of the best scenes together because the two characters were both so good with the banter and snark...it would've been nice to see it again.

Jessica Britt said...

I hope you finish this I love it.