Almost Lois (Chapter Nineteen)

It had been three days since he'd been fired from the fish market. He was only now losing the smell. He was supposed to be job-hunting, but he wasn't. He was on a bench across the street from The Daily Planet, wondering when she'd leave for lunch. He could at least take a look. She hadn't come out yet.

He looked at the paper in front of him instead. She'd written up the strange mugging, along with a rash of incidents. They were incidents he knew well. He'd been a part of them. Criminal near-misses that had been happening all over the city this month. None of the witnesses could explain them, but all reported a strange fishy smell.

He laughed as he closed the paper. He wondered if she was starting a wall-of-weird again, pinning up each crazy occurrence. It would be just like her to...

"Hey! C.K.!"

He turned slowly to the left. There was only one person who'd ever called him that. "Jimmy... Uh... Hi."

Jimmy was balancing four coffee carriers... or trying to. "What are you doing here?" He put two down and stood smiling, one in each hand.

"Just taking a break from... uh... work."

"Oh, yeah. You work in the city now."

Clark stood. "How did you know?"

"I was taking the bus to work last week and I saw you. Tried to say hello, but those windows are so hard to open..." He tilted his head. "The fish market?"

"Yeah." Clark shrugged, looking down. It was a little embarassing that the only job he'd been able to get was gutting fish. "I did work there. But I'm looking for something else."

Jimmy laughed. "I'll bet... Oh. Um... Not that there's anything wrong with fish and... uh..." He laughed again. "Listen, could you give me a hand?" He gestured to the two carriers on the floor. "Nobody uses the actual coffee maker at work and... Well, I seem to be the errand boy of choice, not being able to say no and all."

Clark hesitated. If he went in, she might be there. The idea was both tantalizing and forbidden. He looked across the street and saw her coming out. She hooked her purse on her shoulder and turned right. He was as disappointed as he was relieved. "Sure, Jimmy." He quickly picked the two carriers up off the bench."Just for a sec, though. I have some... Well.... want ads to scan."

"Sure, sure." Jimmy grinned and started across the street. "I haven't talked to you since that one time you were at The Planet. Lot's changed," he went on. "I mean, Lois - You remember her, right? - Well, she's got the front page more than not. Of course, every other investigative reporter keeps quitting. They can't handle it. The lady's a shark, you know? Gets all the fish and they just sit there pouting. I say they're a bunch of babies. I mean, if they can't get the by-line, they can't get it. No reason to quit in a big huff. Right?"

"Yeah. Right." Clark followed him in, looking behind him to make sure she wasn't coming back.

"Perry's still as miserable as ever. You'd think the guy would have calmed down with Luthor in seclusion and all. But, no. I think he almost craves the pressure, you know?"

"Yeah," Clark agreed, not really listening. He followed Jimmy into the bullpen. He wondered if she was at the same desk. As he passed, he saw it was the same, but different. It had been sparse before. Now she had pictures up of her with Jimmy, with Perry, one sheet of her with an older red-head from what looked like a carnival photo booth. There was also a spattering of her own articles. He bent his head and looked over-top of his glasses, seeing words like unexplained, fish smell... A post-it near said "fisherman vigilante?"

He almost laughed as he followed Jimmy to a large table where an unused coffee maker sat with a toaster and several empty donut boxes. He put his carriers down next to Jimmy's and turned to him. "It's been great seeing you, but I really should..."

"Oh, stay a minute. Say hi to the Chief."

"Oh, I'm sure he's..."

"Olsen!" Jimmy and Clark both turned as Perry came striding from his office. "Please tell me you got it."

Jimmy quickly dug out a cup. "Full-fat, triple shot, extra whip," Jimmy said easily, holding it out.

"Good." He took the cup, then glanced at Jimmy again. "And... uh... The other thing?"

Jimmy stepped close and reached into his pocket. Clark saw half of what looked like a packet of cigars.

"Not here," Perry hissed. He jerked his head toward a desk near his office. Clark recognized the woman from Lois' photos. "She's got eyes in the back of her head." He cleared his throat. "I need to see you in my office, Olsen," he said loudly. "There's a..." He trailed off, finally noticing Clark. "Hey, Clark Kent."

"Hi, Mr. White."

"I was wondering when you'd come by again. I still owe you and I..."

"Oh, I can't stay. I was just helping Jimmy with the..."

"Sure you can. I was wondering how to get a hold of you." He felt an arm on his shoulder and he was pulled forward. He glanced behind him at Jimmy, but he only shrugged and followed. "I'd ask Lois, but you know how she is. When she's here, she's on the computer and dead to the world, so..."

He moved forward helplessly as Perry moved with him through the doorway of his office. He could break away, but did he really want to? Maybe he could catch a glimpse when she came back. "I've been around," Clark said.

"Well, not here. I haven't seen you since that day I sent you off with Lois." Perry pushed him into a chair and moved around his desk, settling behind it. Clark heard the door close behind him as Jimmy came forward and perched a hip on Perry's desk. "You haven't been back since." Perry leaned to Clark. "Did she scare you? Because she does that sometimes."

"Well, I..."

"I did ask her how to get a hold of you one day, but she just said 'who?' and went off." Perry shook his head. "Girl's been loopy lately, not that you can tell from her work. I think work is part of the problem, though, with her. All work and no..." He suddenly stared at Clark. "What have you been doing with yourself."

"I... uh..."

"Clark was working at the fish market, Chief." Jimmy turned toward Perry. "But he's out of a job right now."

Clark saw something pass between them before Perry turned to him with a wide smile. "So... Kent. Would you say you're pretty mellow? Don't get upset too easily..."

"Uh... I..."

"Him?" Jimmy snorted. "Chief, this guy was raised on a farm." He turned back to Clark and winked. "Right?"

"Well..."

"I knew that," Perry said. "But... You're not the kind of guy that gets all huffy if things don't go his way..."

"Actually..."

"Chief, the guy is so mild-mannered, he doesn't know what huffy is." He winked at Clark again. What was going on?

"So say you had a job here. I gave you a shot at working in, say... The investigative department. You wouldn't throw a hissy-fit if someone else maybe... got most of the headlines."

"I can't..."

"I'm telling you chief, the guy is Mr. Manners. You know the small town types are about as mellow as..."

"Olsen, will you let the guy talk?" Perry smiled at Clark, then started as a door slammed open behind him.

Clark sank in his chair as a certain familiar voice rang out. "Perry, I interviewed some more people about the reverse crime wave and everyone is reporting fish smells. It's like some..."

"Lois, can this wait?" Perry asked, gesturing to Clark. "I'm in the middle of an interview here."

Clark wanted to say that this could not be an interview. He shouldn't even be here. But he just stayed still in his seat, not wanting to bring any attention from the woman behind him.

"But this is important. There is definitely a connection. Almost every time, someone smells fish and this is everywhere, not just near the docks."

"Not the vigilante fisherman again," Jimmy groaned.

"Or woman," he heard her add. "I think it's tied to the fish market." He watched helplessly as she passed him and came to Perry's desk. "I've been nosing around there today and two of the employees are ex-cops. One man, one woman. They apparently couldn't take the pressure. But maybe they still have the taste for..."

She trailed off suddenly and her shoulders straightened. She turned around and looked straight at Clark.

He gazed, wide-eyed as she pointed at him. "You! You're the guy from the dumpster." She crossed her arms. "You also showed up at my doorstep one night. Don't think I haven't figured that out. And now here you are. In my editor's office. What a coincidence." She tapped her foot and gave him a tight smile. "I've actually seen you around town quite a few times. I actually thought I had a stalker." She laughed. "Then I realized something. You had a jumpsuit from the fish market on."

"Well, I only..."

"Do you think I'm dumb? You..." He shrank backward as she came forward, jabbing a finger at him. He knew she was too smart for him. She'd probably already figured it out. There went his incognito efforts. "You've been angling for my stories!" she finished, her hands on her hips. Clark wasn't sure if he should be relieved or horrified. She turned to Perry. "Chief, this guy has been everywhere I've been. I bet he works for The Telegraph." She glanced back at Clark. "Must not be doing a great job. They haven't been reporting the fish angle."

"Lois, are you nuts?" Jimmy laughed. "This is Clark."

"I don't care what his name is." She turned her glare on Jimmy. "If he's trying to scoop me, he..."

"Clark Kent," Perry cut in. "From Smallville. You know him."

"No, I..." She trailed off, shaking her head. "I spent some time in Smallville. I mean, I had family there, but..." She glanced back at Clark, confused. "So... You work for The Ledger then?" She shrugged and perched a hip on Perry's desk, facing Clark. "Okay, then. No threat. Didn't think they'd be on to anything in Metropolis. Aren't you reaching as little above yourself?"

"He doesn't work for The Ledger," Perry sighed. "He's going to work here."

Clark stood. This was too much. "Mr. White, I really..."

"Here?" Lois shook her head. "Perry, I know we've lost some people that... couldn't handle the competition..." She seemed to preen slightly. "But this guy..." She looked him up and down, an expression of disdain on her face. "I mean, if the guy from the Trib coudn't hack it, do you think a hayseed will do any better?"

Clark gaped for a moment. "Now just a..."

"Kent's a good guy," Perry said, waving a hand. "You even said he was good in the field."

"I said.." She shook her head, squinting slightly. "What? Did I see you play football for the Smallville Cornshuckers or something?"

He felt himself getting angry. "As a matter of fact..."

Perry looked from one to the other. "I thought you two knew each other."

Lois laughed. "Likely. I don't know what you think you're getting into, but this is a city paper." She stepped up to him, lifting her chin. "And if you think you can hack it, give it your best shot. Just remember I will top you every time. I don't care how... tall you are." She bumped his shoulder on her way out. He heard the door close as he sank into the chair again.

Jimmy laughed. "She takes some getting used to."

Perry sighed and leaned back. "The girl's overworked. I've been saying it all along."

"But you keep printing her stories," Jimmy pointed out.

"Well, I'm not stupid." He smiled tiredly at Clark. "Welcome to The Daily Planet."

Clark stood again. "But I never..."

Perry stood. "You start tomorrow. Be here at eight." He looked Clark over. "Do you have a suit and tie?"

Clark looked down at his flannel and jeans. "Well, yeah. But I..."

"Good," Perry barked, coming around his desk. "Wear it and get yourself some more. We have to project professionalism here. In the meantime, I'm stepping into the supply closet." He turned to Jimmy. "The stuff?"

Jimmy rolled his eyes and handed him the cigars in his pockets. "There you go, Chief."

He took them and put them inside his jacket. He slapped Clark on the back, then brought his hand back, shaking it. Whao! Strong guy. Hope it helps."

He stared dumbly as Perry walked out, nearly tiptoeing past the desk in front of his office. He felt Jimmy's hand on his shoulder. "What just happened?" he said, almost to himself.

"I think I just got you a job." Jimmy squeezed his shoulder. "Thank me later."

He stared as Jimmy left, too, leaving him alone after the best and worst ten minutes of his life.

Previous Chapter

Chapter Twenty

2 comments:

40SGal said...

Poor Clark! That's a first for him. Lois not making him the center of her world. lol!

April said...

Heh. Might be tough to get used to. I think Clark almost ends up the center of everyone's world by default of what he can do/does.