Almost Lois (Chapter Thirteen)

Jimmy was nodding and writing furiously at whatever Rachel was saying to him. Everyone else was staring at the LNN coverage, aghast.

"While Luthercorp has disbanded, Luthor himself still has over two billion in money and property. Though he could not be reached for comment, it's believed that he plans to wait before attempting to rejoin the business world. His memory loss is perhaps more pronounced than previously believed. The conditions of his release include outpatient care, a stipulation that he see Doctor Kevin Grady at least once a week for a year. His physical health however..."

"Turn it off," Perry said shortly. "I could give a crap about his physical health." He turned to Jimmy. "Olsen, are you done?"

Jimmy hung up the phone. "Yeah. Rachel gave me the story. She's on her way to Luthor's mansion now."

"Lane, check it over. Make sure it reflects what a miscarriage of justice all this is." He looked tired. "We'll get it out with our evening edition."

Lois nodded and took the notepad from Jimmy and began typing. She wouldn't change too much. Rachel had never had front page news. If she wanted them to keep their civility, she'd have to keep this in her words. She honestly had no idea how she was functioning.

She had to find out what Grady had done. She still wanted to trust him, but her life may be one the line. Would she have to pack up her lovely new apartment and lovely new clothes and just... leave?

She wouldn't, not until she knew for sure. She knew it would be useless to go to Kevin Grady. His building was probably surrounded by press now that he would be Luthor's main therapist.

She turned to Jimmy. "Jimmy, could you call Doctor Grady's office for me?"

"Doctor Grady?" He shook his head. "Oh, yeah... The guy who'll be treating Luthor. Won't the line be busy all through?"

"Get pimples to help out." She really did need to find out that poor girl's name. "Get him the message to call Lois Lane. Give him my cell."

He shrugged. "Okay."

"Thanks. I'll buy you a drink when this is over," she muttered. Poor Jimmy. He deserved more than a drink from her. Not only had she broken his heart twice, but she now used his willingness to please and rejoiced that he was so willing, that he couldn't remember. She'd be good to him. She wouldn't be to him what Clark was to her.

*****************************

Clark hovered in the trees near Luthor's Smallville estate. He'd seen him go in, past the hourdes of press outside the gate. He didn't dare get too close. If Luthor was out, then he knew all about Clark. And he was free to do as he pleased about it.

But he'd watched the news. He knew Luthor's name was dirt in the business world. He may have the money, but not the power. He touched down, adjusting his glasses. He just needed a look inside, then he'd check on her.

He moved toward the first floor window he knew was Luthor's office. It was empty.

"Excuse me, but you're trespassing."

He turned slowly from the window. It was him. Lex Luthor in a dark suit with no tie, standing outside his own house and staring at Clark. "Lex."

Lex looked at Clark's suit, then over his face. "Are you press? How did you get past the gates?"

He slowly circled around Lex, trying to get on the outside of him and of the house. Lex turned with him, his eyes still following him warily. "I'm not press. I..."

"I really don't care what you are or how you got in," Lex sighed, crossing his arms. "But leave now or I will call security." His eyes ran over Clark's large frame before coming back to him with something that looked like fear in them.

"I'll leave," Clark said, nodding slowly, his hands in front of him. He turned.

"Wait... Do I know you?"

Clark turned back, confused. The news had said his memory loss was more extensive than believed. But from what Miss Tessmacher said, it had been a lie. "No," he lied, wondering what Lex would say to that.

Lex shook his head and looked down. "For a moment, you seemed familiar." The bewilderment in his eyes seemed genuine and Clark felt completely thrown off. He turned away and stared at his house. "Look, I've had a long day and I really could do without..."

Clark didn't waste time. He sped off quickly on foot and toward home. If Lex was having trouble remembering, maybe he'd forget their encounter just now.

*************************

"Paper's in bed," Perry sighed. He lifted his large and colorful glass. "Nothing like a virgin margarita to celebrate." He smiled falsely and looked with some longing at the shot glasses in front of Jimmy and Lois.

Doris pushed the glass towards his mouth and sipped her own wine. "Stop whining, Sir."

"Worse than my mother," he grumbled and sipped the fruity drink.

Jimmy and looked at Lois and picked up his shot glass. "Ready?"

"You have no idea," she muttered, licking salt from her hand. They downed their shots in unison. She grimaced and sucked her lemon, but savored the warmth flowing into her stomach. The doctor hadn't called yet. She'd drink until he did. It was all she could do.

"I got the next," Jimmy said, signaling the waiter.

"No!" Lois signaled him herself, holding up a twenty. "I told you. Drinks are on me." She handed the twenty to the guy. "Keep 'em coming."

"Does that include food?" Perry asked, scooping up a huge amount of salsa on a chip. "Because these are not gonna cut it."

"Food, too. Why the hell not?" It could be her last meal, she might as well go all out.

"I always liked you, Lane," Perry said, opening his menu.

After an hour of taquitos and nachos and more lovely tequila, Lois liked everyone at the table. She liked everyone in the bar. Maybe even everyone in the world, aliens not included. And she loved Doris' giggle. "You are just adorable," she said, leaning across the table, interrupting Jimmy's story.

"But that's not all," Jimmy slurred. "After the whole..." Jimmy gestured vaguely with his hands and Lois leaned away from him quickly, thanking her reflexes for working. Jimmy was a hand-talker when he drank. "The whole audience was silent, I totally thought I had this trick down. I had this other stuff under my pants and when my assistant..."

"You mean your mom?" Perry asked.

"Fine. Mom. Whatever. Anyway, it was a quick change thing. She was gonna walk in front of me with this screen and I was supposed to pull the string and I was gonna have a wizard's robe."

Doris giggled harder. "I thought my son was a nerd."

"Now, Doris..." Lois gestured to her lips, trying to put a finger in front of them. She turned to Jimmy, trying to get an elbow on the table. She finally succeeded. "Continue, Mr. Olsen."

"Thank you, Miss Lane... Anyway, she walks in front and I'm ready to pull, but the screen must have caught my pants and there was this rip." He took a deep breath. "I tried to get the string pulled, but it stuck and there I was - in my underwear with this partial robe around my chest."

Perry laughed. "Were they boxers with little hearts?"

Jimmy looked down. "No... They were Scooby Doo briefs."

Doris shrieked with laughter and Perry got up. "Okay. I'll drop this drunk home."

"Wait!" She grasped her wine glass and downed the last sip.

"Like I said, just like my mother..." She giggled again as he helped her up. He turned to Lois and Jimmy. "I'll see you two Monday."

"Will do, Chief," Jimmy said with a salute.

"Stop calling me chief," Perry threw over the shoulder that wasn't supporting a grayish-red head.

Jimmy giggled and turned to Lois. "I can't stop. I know he hates it, but..." He shrugged and leaned on his hand. "You're great, you know?"

"Me?" She snorted. "I'm not that great."

"No," he said. "I mean, I think I was rude when you first started, but I can't remember why." He looked at the ceiling. "I mean, you always help me out with the chief."

"Cause you're a good guy, Jimmy Olsen. You should be a big shot."

"Like you, huh?"

She laughed. "I'm no big shot."

"You've only worked at... work for like two months and White thinks the planet just spins on you."

She shrugged. "Dunno why."

"I know why." He gazed at her again. "Cause you're great."

She laughed and stared back at him, remembering why Chloe Sullivan had liked him so much. He really was sweet and it would be so easy to take him home. Her period was done. She could take him home easily. She looked down at the table. Then Lois Lane would use Jimmy Olsen the way Chloe Sullivan had. She wouldn't do it. "Thanks, Jimmy," she said, looking back at him again. "You're a great friend."

He looked disappointed for a second before smiling. "You're a great friend, too."

She pointed towards the bar. "That blonde over is totally checking you out."

Jimmy turned and followed her pointing finger to the bar. The blonde quickly looked into her drink. "Her? She's cute."

"I think she thinks you're cute."

"Yeah?" He turned back to her and grinned. "I kinda like blondes." He shook his head. "I can't leave you."

"Go on." She tried to gesture, but her hand smacked the table. "Have fun. I'm gonna call a cab."

He looked back at the blonde. "Okay. Maybe she'll give me a ride home."

"Maybe she'll give you more than that."

He laughed and got up. "Stop it."

She took a deep breath and fumbled in her purse for her phone. "Hello, there."

She looked up to find a guy in an open shirt with a gold chain leering at her. Maybe she could take him home. But the grease stains might never come out of her pillows. "Beat it," she muttered. "I'm a lesbian."

She watched him walk away and wished it were true. A lesbian would never have got into this mess with Clark Kent. She used the same line on the next two guys who approached her before the cabbie called her name at the door.

In the cab, her phone rang. It was a blocked ID. "Hello?"

"Eight years," was all the caller said. It was Kevin.

"What?" She shook her head, trying to clear it.

"I took eight full years. In Lex Luthor's mind, he'd not yet moved to Smallville. He has the chance to forget his obsessions and rebuild his life."

"I... I guess that's good?"

"Good for everyone," he said.

"What about whats-her-face?"

"Just took the last year. I doubt she'll notice it's gone."

Lois found herself giggling. "Tha's a good one." She sobered, at least vocally. "Doc... Kevin, thank you."

"You're welcome... But what about you?"

"Me? I'm feeling no pain."

"Yes. I can hear that... But can you really go on, knowing what you know? You've seen some terrible things, Lois. I wish I could help you."

"You helped a lot," she said, her voice grave. "I can't thank you enough."

"I'm serious, Lois. Call me if you need me."

"I will," she lied, hoping he couldn't sense it through a phone line. But she wouldn't be calling Kevin Grady. She didn't need him.

When she got home, she found another thing she didn't need. Clark Kent was pacing the hallway in front of her door. She stopped, her hands on her hips. "Well..." He whirled to face her. "At least you didn't break in this time."

Previous Chapter

Chapter Fourteen

2 comments:

Trinity said...

I so hope Chloe/Lois will NEVER try to erase her memories

April said...

LOL. Just reading this and thinking of how it ended up. I'm glad you ended up coming back to the finish anyway. :)