Almost Lois (Chapter Twenty-Nine)

She stared at the email, reading it twice before she actually believed it.

Lois,

Perhaps this apology comes too late. But I have to try. You're smart. Your mind is one of the most complex I've ever dealt with. Perhaps that's why my methods don't work for you as well as they have for others. Then again, I've never dealt with your particular situation. I don't know how much you remember and how much I might have messed it all up. But please believe I was only doing as you asked. I was only trying to help. But I can't work with you anymore. I'm honestly starting to lose faith in all my work. Maybe I should stop focusing on making other people happy and start thinking of what happiness I can get before it's too late. I know your mind too well to believe you haven't already found out more about me than I'd like you to. But I'm begging you not to use it against me. I've only had the best intentions, even though they've exploded in my face. I'm leaving. I won't make use of my gift again. Please don't try to find me.

Kevin


What did it all mean? What gift? And had she truly asked for these blank spots, these headaches? Even thinking about it made her temples throb anew. She quickly popped an aspirin. She was getting as bad as Perry. She should buy stock in Bayer at the rate she was going.

She'd tried to reply to the email but the address came up as undeliverable, much like Kevin Grady's other addresses. This week, she'd been to his offices, his house. Both were empty. Any efforts to find him came up empty. His receptionist had been tracked down at home. But she'd never liked Lois. She said it was none of her business. "I got six months' severance. He was a good doctor. If he wants to be left alone, he's earned it."

Nothing was going right. And now he'd asked her not to use what she had on him. Something inside her said to listen. Maybe she should let it lie.

"What?" She looked up. Perry and Clark were in deep conversation outside his office.

"There is no such thing as E-Z Move," Clark was saying excitedly. "And every single household was packed up by them."

"Have you questioned the neighbors?"

"I did," Jimmy said from next to Clark. "Clark thinks he shouldn't be seen around there. Some lady shooed him off when he was there last week. She was a little rude." He elbowed Clark. "Guy's skittish with angry women."

Clark shook his head. "No. I just think showing myself now could mess up the bigger plan. I managed to get into one of the..." Their voices faded as they moved into the office and Lois sighed. She'd just done a piece on some hefty teen pranks, if you could call taping a store owner to his own ceiling while they robbed the place in ghost masks a simple prank. Still, it wasn't as juicy as what Clark had. He had a multi-angle investigative piece. She hadn't had one since the mayor's affair with his assistant. Couples disappearing... She frowned at her computer and moved her Grady file to a password-protected folder. She had a disappearing noted doctor and she couldn't write a thing about it. Well... she could. But would she? A part of her felt a connection with Grady. She might look into things a little further, but would she really write an expose on this man?

"Oh, Lois." Rachel leaned over her monitor and gestured to her mail. "Are you blind or did you not notice you have a pumpkin-colored envelope on your desk?"

Lois looked at it. "Yeah. So?"

Rachel stood and came around to Lois' side. "So?" she repeated, aghast. "Don't you know what that envelope is?"

Lois turned off her monitor and picked it up. "I don't know. A Halloween greeting."

Rachel groaned and took it, picking up her nail file and slicing open the edge. "I have never, ever, ever got this invite. How the hell did you score it?" She pulled it out and held it to Lois.

"What?" Lois took the invitation and squinted at it. "The Pumpkin Masquerade? Metropolis Women's Society." She tossed it back on the pile. "Sounds lame."

"If lame is a thousand a plate and formal wear and anyone who's anyone in Metropolis, then yes. Lame. Sure." She picked the invitation up. "Lois Lane plus one." She tossed it down. "I mean, someone actually bought your way in. Couldn't they have left it blank for me?"

"For you?"

Rachel shrugged. "Well, you don't want to go." She peered at Lois. "Would I look good as a brunette. Ooh! Let me see your license."

Lois leaned away. "You think I'm going to let you pose as me?"

Rachel threw up her hands. "Like it's hard. I just need to wear neutral colors and unflattering lipstick and..."

Lois snatched the invite and stood. "Forget it. I'm going." She strode to the water cooler, knowing Rachel was hot on her heels.

"But you said it was lame."

"That was before I knew what it was. Besides, if someone put forth a couple thousand to get me in, the least I can do is..."

"Bring a friend?" Rachel suggested. She leaned on the wall in front of Lois. "I didn't mean what I said about unflattering lipstick. Matte shades can be... very sensible."

"Oh, thank you."

Rachel smiled. "And all that black, brown and navy, well... On you, it just pops."

"Rachel, you are not my plus one."

"Why?" she whined.

She took a long sip of her cone of water. "Because you've been nothing but rude to me since I started here."

Rachel waved a hand. "That's just me being fun. We have our little jokes, you and me."

"Forget it." She crumpled the paper cone and walked away.

"Well, good luck finding a better looking date. Do you even have dates?"

She was about to turn and give Rachel a scathing retort, if she could just find one, but a tall man in a dark suit practically plowed into her.

"Oh, sorry, Lois." Clark put his hands on her shoulders and righted her and nearly sped past.

She grabbed his arm. "Clark what are you doing..." She held up the invitation in her hand with the crumpled cone. "Um... Friday?"

"Isn't that Halloween?"

"Well, yeah." She mentally counted the days. "It is Halloween."

He shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe giving out candy or..."

"Or going to The Pumpkin Masquerade with me," she finished quickly.

"The what?"

She squinted at the invitation. "Masks are off at midnight and it's costume formal, whatever that means. Is that like a tux with a mask or..."

"Lois, I never said..."

"Clark, honestly!" She lifted her chin. "Anyone who's anyone will be there with lots of liquor. Think of the dirt that could be splashed around. And you know how people behave differently in disguise." Now that she thought about it, this could be just what she needed to get her out of her story slump. And Clark... she eyed his suit. It wasn't exactly well-made, but he could clean up okay. Besides, wouldn't it just kill Rachel if Lois not only went, but went with the guy she'd been trying to snap in her man-trap for months. "I mean, if you think you can do without the material, I know a few guys who would kill for this opportunity." A few guys named Jimmy and Perry. And she really should count Sal, her octogenarian neighbor, and Oscar at the coffee stand.

"Well, I didn't say I couldn't. I just..."

"Great!" She patted his shoulder. "Friday, then. Meet me at Metropolis Grand around eight."

*************************

He paced back and forth in front of the Metropolis Grand Hotel, pulling at his neck cloth. He had a stupid matador costume. It was the last thing the shop had and it really amounted to tights on his calves that went over the tights on his calves. He'd already skulked around, scoping out a good location for his boots. They were the one thing he could never figure out. He'd look pretty silly wearing red boots all the time. He'd dropped them in the east garden. There was a darkened corner there that he was sure he'd be visiting more than one time tonight. He was tired.

Mischief night had been one hassle after another. Stupid teens and their dangerous pranks. He wondered how he had ever been one. And now it was Halloween. He was having a heck of a time distinguishing the screams from the screams. He'd just come from Walnut and fourth where he'd found some kids chasing each other in masks. The little girl's scream had been fairly blood-curdling. How was he to know it was just her older brother in a Dracula mask?

He had to keep his evenings free. He shouldn't have agreed to go. He even tried to go back and get out of it. But she insisted that there were plenty of other people giving out candy. Clark might not have many reasons not to go to this benefit. But Superman had a full workload. In fact, between Clark's story and Superman's workload, he was about to drop - not to mention the fact that he was beginning to feel like he had a split personality... again.

People were spilling in as he paced the steps. Where was Lois? Would she even arrive before he had to go off again? A blonde woman passed him and he moved out of the way. "Excuse me."

"Clark!" the blonde turne around and pulled at her demi mask and he started.

"Lois!" He took in the fake blonde curls piled on her head The white blouse that laced up under the black girdle, the red skirt, the blue apron. It was all a little... sexy. But he had to laugh. "St. Pauli Girl?"

She rolled her eyes, then put the blue demi mask back on. "Oh, shut it. It was all they had." She looked him over. "Like yours is better? I mean, are the bulls running?"

He shrugged. "I got mine a little late, too."

He noticed her eyes lingering on his legs before moving back to his face. "Where's your mask? We're supposed to wear them until midnight."

"Oh, I forgot..." He started as three Supermen moved with the throng. They had exaggerated, bulging muscle pads under the tights. He didn't really come off like that, did he? They all had red or blue masks on. He started to wonder if he should have saved himself the hassle, but Lois... She would be too sharp not to notice that Clark bore a striking resemblance to Superman. He was surprised she hadn't noticed already. Then again, she hadn't looked at Clark too closely. He truly hated that he was even thinking of himself in the third person.

She was looking at him now. "Hmmm. It's not like a mask will fit over the glasses. Don't you have contacts?"

"Um... They don't make them strong enough for me."

She shrugged and started in. "I guess you'll just be a rebel, then. That should be new for you."

He frowned as he followed her in. He should be glad he was so easily summed up and dismissed by her. It made the double life easier. But it still bothered him that she made these snap judgments based on the fact that he grew up on a farm. When Chloe had first moved to Smallville, she'd thought he was Amish or something.

They were at coat check when round one started. He heard a scream. It seemed... real. "Uh, Lois... I don't have anything to check. I'll go mingle and find you in a bit."

She whirled to face him. "Oh... Well, yeah. We will cover more people if we..."

"Yeah. I'll meet you." He rushed off, only breaking into full speed when he reached the garden. Too much to do. This night was going to be hell.

************************

This night was going to be miserable. A few men had already come a little too close to getting their faces smacked if she'd just been able to tell which they were. Just because she was dressed as a beer wench didn't mean she should be treated like one. "Damn pinchers," she muttered. Her bottom would be raw tomorrow. Those that hadn't pinched her asked her to get them a drink. She'd had to explain that the beer wench thing was not a uniform, then she'd seen two waitresses dressed very nearly like her.

It was all miserable and Clark had completely abandoned her to it. The music was something off an Acker Bilk anthology. Not that she hated orchestral jazz. She just... No. She hated orchestral jazz. She still didn't know who'd sent her the invite. To top it off, the waiter had been by three times and had not stopped when she signaled. Maybe she looked a little too like the help herself.

"What do you have on tap?" someone whispered behind her. Her hands instinctively covered her bottom as she turned.

"Listen, Buddy. I don't work here and I..." She trailed off, saw the man was smiling. She looked past the black mask and over the zoot suit and fedora. The head was bald and something told her it wasn't on purpose. "Luthor?"

"How could you tell?"

She gestured to her wig and mask. "How could you tell?"

He shrugged and smiled, snapping his fingers. A waiter suddenly appeared. "I saw you take your mask off outside with that... guy. Who was..."

"I'll have a chardonnay," she said quickly to the waiter before he ignored her again. "And a large glass of water. And an apology for the five times you looked right at me and still passed."

"Scotch and soda," Luthor said, placing a hundred dollar bill on the guy's tray. Her eyes widened. "And keep the dame happy." He smiled at her. "She's going to be a formidable woman in this town."

Lois was flattered, but she still had an urge to shrink away from him. "Um... Thanks," she said as the waiter stepped away, smiling apologetically at her.

"It's true. People already know your name. You were the first reporter to get an exclusive with Superman. That's something people the world over envy."

She sighed. "Well, you're only as good as your next story. And I've had nothing much since."

"I'm sure that will change." He suddenly looked to the window. A flash of red sped by. She knew what that was. "Oh, there he goes now." He turned back to Lois. "Do you really think he's all that he seems?"

She found her back stiffening. "Of course I do."

"Well, I mean no offense, but... He's not exactly of Earth. All of this helpful work could be part of a bigger plan. Maybe to lull us into a sense of false security. do we really know his planet was destroyed? With our technology, we can't see far beyond our own galaxy and..."

"Mr. Luthor, I've met Superman and he's no alien warlord. You've watched too many bad B movies. "

"Maybe I have," Lex suddenly concurred. "It's possible my memory loss has made me more suspicious of all around me." He spread his hands. "One moment, I'm a rich punk under his father's thumb, now I'm past thirty and in control of my life and yet... everything is completely beyond my grasp. I wish I had your kind of assurance."

The waiter suddenly appeared with the tray. She wanted to tell him that she had no kind of assurance and didn't need any to know Superman was a Godsend, but first things first. She took the water and drained it quickly, placing the glass of cubes back on the tray. She wanted to drain the chardonnay as well, but she knew that things like this went to her head quickly. She took a demure sip and smiled at the waiter. "Thank you. And I'm sorry about before. I get cranky when I'm thirsty or hungry."

He looked from her to Lex. She suddenly realized he could be no more than eighteen. "Oh, I can get you an assortment of hors..."

"Please do." Lex took his drink from the tray and Lois felt his hand on her elbow. "We'll be over there."

She felt him steering her to an alcove with drapes and cushioned seats. She let him. It wasn't like she had anything better to do. Not with Clark still ditching her. Besides, Lex had a way with waitstaff. If she wanted to be fed and watered this night, she could stick with him for at least a little while and tamp down her squeamishness. Besides, no one had pinched her or leered at her in the last few minutes. They must know who he is.

"I'm glad you could make it," Lex said, gesturing to a seat.

She took it. "So... it was you that..." She nodded. "I should have figured. How many billionaires have I met this month?"

"You didn't know?"

"I guess I thought it was because of my job. Maybe the society gave me a freebie."

"The Metropolis Women's Society gives no one a free ride." He smiled.

"But you do?"

"Actually, I don't."

She nearly laughed. "I knew it. You want something."

"I do, but I'm willing to exchange more than just getting you into this benefit." He leaned toward her. "There are many people here I could introduce you to. They hate me, of course... or is that just my name?" He shook his head. "It doesn't matter. They love the money that's attached to my name. Maybe I can even get our ex-mayor's ex-wife to open up to you. She may have more to add to the story you did a few months back."

Her mouth hung open slightly and she quickly closed it. "But what do you want from me for..."

"Hey, sorry, Lois. I was just off talking to... uh..."

They both looked up at a disheveled Clark. He smiled apologetically at her, then turned his gaze to Luthor. His smile dropped.

She smiled tightly and stood. "Oh, there you are." She leaned into him. "Thanks alot for the half-hour ditch," she whispered. "Clark, this is Lex Luthor." She turned to Luthor. "This is Clark Kent, my colleague."

She could see Luthor's eyes squinting at Clark from the holes in his mask. "We've met. Haven't we?"

Clark's mouth worked, but nothing was coming up.

"On my grounds," Luthor said. "I never forget a face. But your name... I've..." He turned to Lois. "I've actually been doing some digging into my past in Smallville and some people have said we knew each other. Even that you were around the house a lot. Were we..."

"Yes," Clark cut in quickly. "You used to order produce from my parents' farm. I delievered it... to your house. So, yes. We were acquainted. And I was on your grounds. I was just... curious."

Luthor nodded. "Well, if you have any information that could help me, I'd appreciate it. My amnesia seems nearly incurable and I rely on what outside information I can get to piece things together."

"Well, I was only an acquaintance, so..." Lois felt his hand on her arm. "Dance?"

"Clark, I..." She felt herself being pulled away and she glanced back at Luthor. "I'll catch you later." Clark didn't stop until they were in the middle of the throng of old and new money swaying to a rendition of Kenny G that was even more boring than Kenny G. She dug her heels in and he turned. "What was that about?"

"You shouldn't be talking to Luthor." He let one hand grip hers and the other slid to her waist.

She placed her left hand on his shoulder and pasted on a phony smile. "Well, I didn't have anyone else to talk to. My plus-one decided to ditch me and..."

"I was mingling. Isn't that what we came to do?"

He looked pretty disheveled for just mingling, but she'd let it slide for now. "Easy for you. Half the people here have given me drink orders." One side of his mouth quirked. "Don't you dare laugh. Besides, Luthor's the reason we're here." She looked around. "Could you move? We're supposed to at least look like we're dancing."

He began moving in a circle. His hand tightened on her waist and she felt a sudden surge of deja vu. "You mean Luthor sent the invitations? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't know. Besides, you never told me you knew Lex Luthor."

"I... I just delivered produce." He took a deep breath. "But I know enough. He's not a good man."

"Well, I know that. What billionaire is? But he could be useful and when you interrupted, we were..." She trailed off as he suddenly looked left. "What?"

"I... just realized that I need to get something to drink. Do you want anything?"

"Well, I left my chardonnay at the alcove. But I was telling you..."

"Great. Chardonnay it is. Be back."

She found herself standing in the middle of a dance floor and that deja vu washed over her again. She squared her shoulders and left the floor. He didn't care what he said about Luthor. And why was Clark acting so strangely he-man all of a sudden? She could take care of herself. And if Lex Luthor had contacts, she could surely use them. Clark was the one with the big story brewing. She needed this night.

When she returned to the alcove, a curvy woman with blonde hair was nearly in Lex's lap. He stood when Lois entered and the blonde turned to her.

"Miss Lane, I was hoping you'd be back." He gestured to the woman. "This is my assistant, Eve Tessmacher. She was just leaving." He stared hard at the woman and her shoulders slumped. Lois didn't miss the hard, yet horrified look the woman threw her as she walked past, bumping Lois' shoulder slightly.

She smiled. She'd just go with it. The evening couldn't get much weirder. "Did my wine survive?"

He gestured to the tiny table to the side of her former seat. "I guarded it with my life. There's also a few canapes." He picked up a plate.

"Thanks, Luthor." She took it and moved to her former chair.

He waited until she sat before taking his own seat. "Call me Lex."

A part of her nearly refused, but another part of her really wanted to finish their conversation from earlier. "Okay. Lex. So... What did you want me to do for you?" His gaze dropped to her crossed legs and she really wished she could have thought of a more innocent way of putting that. He was a attractive man, a powerful man, but... something just didn't sit right.

"I want you to do your job as well as you have... But I do have a direction to point you in."

"Really?"

"See, my therapy with Grady was doing nearly nothing. Worse yet, I often left his sessions feeling there was..." He shook his head. "Even less of me than before. I've heard Grady's gone to ply his trade elsewhere."

"Yes. I heard the same thing." From Grady. But he didn't need to know that.

"It doesn't matter to me. I've had a new therapist for a month." He leaned back in his chair. "Still, I have to wonder why Grady's methods never worked when most of Metropolis says he changed their lives. And I know you have your own suspicions. Why else have you been seeing him?" He tilted his head. "How long have you been investigating him?"

"Uh... Not long." She didn't want to tell him the truth, that she'd had the same suspiciaons he had, even some of the same symptoms. "Him leaving sort of stopped me cold, so I'd rather drop it."

"You? Somehow I get the feeling..."

"How's your new therapist?" she suddenly asked. Between Grady and Lex, her gut chose Grady. If Lex knew he was a fraud, he'd ruin him. She doubted he deserved jail. If she ever found him again, she'd figure out what he did deserve. As soon as she knew what he'd done exactly.

"My new therapist is useless," Lex was saying. "His methods are more conventional than Grady's, but... Well, it's not working. If I can't piece things together from within, I only have what's outside. I need facts, information and, from what I hear, there's almost nothing you can't dig up."

"So you want me to... what? Work for you? Because I have an employer. It's called The Daily Planet."

He smiled. "It's not like that. It's more of a direction I want to point you in. You could probably get a hell of a story out of it. I just want you to keep me informed along the way."

She found herself putting the plate to her side and leaning in. "And what direction is that?"

"Smallville."

Previous Chapter

Chapter Thirty

2 comments:

blackheart_me said...

OOH I sense this is bad. I wonder if you'll go in the direction of Lois dating Lex or having them just gain their memories back. Either way both things are dangerous i think. I also wonder if Clark felt jealous seeing Chloe and Lex together again. Old memories.

April said...

I jut realized I never replied to this, so here I am, years later...

I definitely think Clark was mostly fearful, but just a tad bit jealous. It seems strange to say, but I think Lex is seriously the only contender he'd feel threatened by when it came to Lois.