Almost Lois (Chapter Two)

Chapter Two

Everything was fine. She patted her hair and tried to decide if it should be in front of or behind her ears. Which looked more professional? It was only just past her shoulders now, but it curled softly at the ends. Her bangs were long and sideswept. No more flipped out ends and texturizing gel. It was about looking sleek, like a pro.

Her suit was dark. The pencil skirt was just past her knees and the jacket was form-fitting and plain over a dark camisole. Her heels were black and the patent leather screamed classic elegance. No more fun little flowers on her lapel. No more bohemian skirts with clever designs. No more traces of the girl she'd been. She was a woman now and a professional. Nothing like the girl who had spent years fruitlessly...

She cut off that train of thought before it sped off.

Most importantly, right now she looked nothing like the girl that had idolized Perry White, even when he was drunk and working for tabloid T.V.

How drunk had he been, actually? She bit her lip and pushed her sunglasses more firmly on her nose. Would he remember a certain blonde kid with a wall of wacky occurrences? She kind of prayed that Perry White was not a guy who remembered faces. She wanted to work for The Planet again. It was all she ever wanted. And the idea of working under Perry White was as exciting as it was horrifying. The man was a legend to her. And it all depended on this interview.

She'd got the interview herself with a resume and what few writing samples she had from The Sentinel that weren't the police blotter's run-down. She might let Oliver tempt a few key people away from The Planet, but she was not letting him land her the job she wanted to land on her own. She'd land a job at The Daily Planet (again) on her merits or not at all.

She approached the double revolving doors with longing and apprehension. This was almost like meeting an old boyfriend, one you desperately wanted back. This is what her work was to her. Her first and only love. She pushed goofy grins and flannel shirts firmly from her mind as she walked up the steps. Work was her only love. The main bullpen was up those steps, along with Perry White's office. She moved through the room full of unfamiliar faces and stopped at a harried woman's desk.

"Excuse me, I have an interview with Mr. White."

"You and everyone else in town." The woman rolled her eyes and took what looked like antacids from her desk drawer. "Sorry, Hon. We're just overwhelmed here with the staff changes and all this Luthor crap..." She muttered to herself, pushing a pencil into her graying red hair as she got up and came around her desk, moving toward a frosted glass door. It was blank. Lois guessed the man with a paintbrush in his mouth was about to work on it. "Perry, you got a..." She stopped, the door partially open. Lois found herself ducking behind the woman's shoulder as the smell of cigar smoke wafted toward her. "I knew it. I knew you couldn't be quiet for nothing."

"Come on, Doris. Don't tell Alice. She's mad enough with the late hours and..."

"Oh, calm down. And here's your other drug." She tossed him the roll of antacids. "I got another interviewee for you."

"Just tell 'em to come back later. I've seen enough today and..." He trailed off as Lois peeked over Pauline's shoulder. "Who are you?"

She cleared her throat. "Lois Lane." She tried to keep her voice from squeaking. He was as intimidating as he had been in Smallville, even more so sober.

He stared at her with interest. "I'll see this one."

Doris turned and patted Lois' shoulder with a smirk. "Lucky you." She found herself pushed into the office with the door closed behind her. She didn't feel less nervous when Perry White stared at her silently, stubbing the cigar on the window ledge and closing the tall window before moving to sit behind his desk. He gestured to the chair in front of it and Lois took it, clutching her briefcase in her lap.

The office was a complete change from the clean, sleek lines that had graced it under Pauline Kahn. A monstrous desk, littered with sandwich wrappers and styrofoam coffee cups took over the middle. Pictures of John Wayne and snatches of articles were tacked on bulletin boards all over the wall.

He stared at her eyes and she started to feel extremely nervous. She didn't go for the natural look anymore. Her eyebrows were professionally waxed and tinted dark to match her hair. Her eyes were lined with onyx liner and her lips were painted burgundy. But could he see through all that to the fresh-faced girl with a Wall of Weird? "You have some reason for the disguise?" She jumped when he said it. "Sunglasses indoors... I mean, come on."

"Oh, right..." She laughed nervously and took them off, stuffing them into the pocket of her soft leather briefcase. She put it on the floor and crossed her legs, glancing back at him in what she hoped was a cool, collected manner.

He stared again, then opened a desk drawer. He tossed a pile of papers down. "Interesting stuff. You've only been with The Star Sentinel six months, but you got a feature on the new mayor."

She wanted to say it was all skill, but she couldn't lie to Perry White on this. "He's a friend, but I think I got to the heart of..."

He waved a hand. "I know all that." He leaned over the desk. "I usually don't trust people with billionaires in their pockets. If you know anything about me, you know I have good reason not to."

She nodded. "Fair enough."

"I mean, the stuff on Queen..." He gestured to the pile. "It's all puff pieces. Like poor, little billionaires need more praise heaped on them."

She found herself stiffening. "Oliver Queen is a good man. I try not to hold his money against him. Someone with his kind of ethics deserves a good public opinion."

He smirked. "Okay." He removed some papers from the top of the pile. "But I called some friends at The Sentinel. You did write a few things that didn't make it to press. A couple pieces on their local hero, Green Arrow. It seems you think his vigilante methods are just hunky dory."

She felt herself leaning forward in her chair. "If they help shield innocent people from unscrupulous businessmen and the evils of crime, then yes I do."

"A particular turn of phrase caught my eye." He shuffled through the papers. "Ah, here we go... 'In the fight against all manner of evil, we should look at the consequence of someone's actions, not their methods.' Pretty." He leaned back in his chair. "The fight against all manner of evil," he repeated. "I'd read it before, though..."

Her eyes widened. She scanned her mind, wondering if what little bylines Chloe Sullivan had had included those words.

He smiled. "Yep. I've got you." She nearly stood and ran away until he slid a copy of The Underground across his desk. "Blythe Nellie." He laughed. "I spent a little time in the kind of circles that read that short-lived, but incisive little pamphlet, especially your Luthor-based columns. I'm actually... relieved to know that all billionaire's don't enjoy your kind of protection."

"Oh, well..."

"I looked you up after that phrase. I never thought that someone who spent a little time at that shut-down rag on the other side of town had the guts to write against Lex Luthor. Then I found out about your cousin."

"Yes. Well..."

"I see you have as good a reason as I do to go against this 'my father did it' crap he's trying to pull. Lionel was a real piece of work, but a mad scientist? No. His tastes were a little more business-oriented." His gaze softened. "I met your cousin once. Good kid. You look a little like her."

She felt the tension drain from her back. "Thank you," she breathed. "I... uh..."

"I hope you're not always this articulate. I like my reporters to speak full sentences with multi-syllabic words if possible."

"I'd speak," she said slowly, "if you'd give me a chance. I have a very extensive vocabulary and would use every word in my arsenal to bring down the filth that is Lex Luthor."

He laughed. "I like you, Kid. You start tomorrow."

She grinned and stood. "Okay. Should I report to the basement or..."

"What?" He stood and came around his desk, leaning on it. "You think I'll have the darling of The Underground on obits? No." He snatched the roll of antacids off the desk and popped one in his mouth. "You're on Luthor."

Her eyes widened. "Luthor?"

"Are you complaining?"

"No, sir." She swallowed hard, returning his steady gaze. "Far from it."

"Good. You start tomorrow. I want you here at eight sharp and..." He trailed off as the door behind Lois opened. She turned toward it.

"Hey, Chief. I got you the cream-filled donuts. They didn't have..." The guy with the pink box in his hand fell silent and stared at her.

Perry strode to him and took the donuts he nearly dropped. "Thanks, Jimmy. This is Lois Lane. She'll be on Luthor. That Jeanette or whatever was too soft."

All the color left Jimmy's face. "Chl..."

"Jimmy Olsen," she said smoothly. "I've seen some of your photos. Very good work. If you have a lunch break coming, I'd like to talk about using you." Her eyes pleaded with his. Don't say it. Don't say the name.

He stared a moment longer, then nodded. "Sure... Lois. I'm about to go to lunch now."

"Great!" she managed brightly. She turned to Perry. "Mr. White, I'll be here first thing tomorrow. And I won't let you down."

He smiled. "I almost believe you. And call me Perry."

She nodded and started out. "Perry, then. Jimmy?" She moved past him, hoping he'd follow.

**********************

She'd picked a corner booth at The Met Stop Diner. Neither of them spoke until their coffee had come. She took a slow sip, savoring it for a moment. The coffee in Star City never satisfied her. The water in Kansas was just a bit fresher. It showed in the coffee. She tried to smile, staring across at his ashen face. "So... I take it you stayed at The Planet."

He looked surprised. "You knew about that?" He blinked and stared at his hands. "Everyone was leaving. Some people that were Luthor supporters kind of disappeared, then others were getting these great job offers out of nowhere. I got offered Photo Editor at The Edge City Telegraph. I was ready to take it. Especially after White came in and started having me run stupid errands." He shook his head. "I don't care if I'm just a cub reporter and hardly ever get a photo in The Planet. I wouldn't leave. I even like the chief. I like what he's doing."

Lois nodded. "He was a great reporter. He'll be a great editor."

Jimmy looked conflicted, then looked up. "Chloe..."

"Please," she whispered. "Call me Lois."

"I... Don't get me wrong, seeing you alive is just..." He shook himself. "I... I don't understand any of this. First you disappear for months, then I hear you died in the Luthor scandal and... Now you're alive and using your cousin's name."

"I know it's all a shock, but I have a reason."

"That reason being Luthor?"

"He wanted me dead, Jimmy, and..." She felt tears sting her eyes. "I was with the vigilante at Ruby Ridge. So was my cousin. She looked like me and Luthor shot her. I... It hurt, but I took the chance to die. He'd never stop hunting me otherwise."

"But Luthor says Lionel shot her."

"He did," she whispered. "But only after she was dead. He... he got her point blank in the face so she wouldn't be recognizable. I hated him for it at the time, but..." She wiped a tear from her eye. "When it came down to it, I used the opportunity to create a new life."

He shook his head. "But your cousin... Lois was your cousin and..."

"She's still my cousin. She lives in Star City now. She works for Oliver Queen, married him, too. Her name is Linda King-Queen now. She gave me her name so I could use what journalism she had on her resume to keep reporting. I've been working for The Star Sentinel."

He nodded dully and stared at her. "Why'd you come back?"

"I had to. I couldn't let Luthor get away with this."

"But you were a witness, Chl... Lois. You could stop this now."

She laughed bitterly. "Dead girls can't be witnesses. If Luthor knows I'm alive, he'll find a way to fix it." She sighed. "No. I have to keep my new name. I've built it up a little now. It's... nearly mine. Besides, I have to get him. Not just for me. Mrs. Kent..."

"Wait. Clark's mom?" He leaned forward. "What does C.K. have to do with this? And where has he been all this time?"

She pursed her lips. That had been a mistake. She trusted Jimmy, but not with Clark's secret. It wasn't hers to give. "Clark's been away for the same reason I have been," she lied. "Luthor is after him, too."

Jimmy smiled suddenly. "That's the real reason you're back. Right? I mean, forget any danger to you. If Clark Kent needs help, you come running."

"Jimmy..."

"Never mind that I mourned for you. Never mind that you could have told me, trusted me. The only reason you're trusting me now is for his sake."

"Jimmy, it's not what you think. I..."

"No." He stood when the waitress came back with her pad, tossing a dollar on the table. "I get it. And don't worry, Lois," he sneered. "Your secret's safe with me."

*******************

She kicked some empty boxes out of the way and ran to her television. "It's on now?" she said into the phone.

"In about two minutes," Linda shrieked in her ear. "All the sudden LNN has an exclusive from inside Belle Reve. They're saying it's revealing." She snorted. "I'll bet."

"I hate TV sometimes," Lois sneered, settling on the worn couch she'd found at a thrift shop. She picked up the remote and searched for LNN. "Do you see why I hardly watch? These networks don't care if they're splashing a monster all over America's televisions. They just want their ratings. Meanwhile, we print what's really going on and people wrap old fish with it. Doesn't anyone read?"

"Lex Luthor's heartbreak," Linda sneered and Lois read the same flashing on her screen. "Cry me a river."

"I'll call you when it's over," Lois said quickly.

"Yeah. As soon as... Ollie will you shut it? I can't listen... Yeah. Call me."

She hung up on the dial tone and turned the volume up. A woman in a red suit appeared on her screen. "Many people believe Lex Luthor, billionaire and philanthropist, to be a monster. A man who would kill his own father and a young reporter while masterminding an illegal cloning project with renegade military help. But is it all so black and white?" She smiled. "I'm Racquel Davies and welcome to our exclusive."

The title claiming heartbreak flashed again before the camera panned over the grounds of Belle Reve. "Belle Reve Sanitarium is home to the mentally ill, some criminal, some just victims of mental illness. But these past eight months, it's housed a resident who many now believe is neither. We were able to sit down with Lex Luthor for only five minutes. The rules regarding those considered threats are very strict at Belle Reve. But those five minutes opened us up to some very revealing truths."

Lex Luthor appeared against a window crossed with wires. He was wearing the white that all Belle Reve inmates donned and leaning back, an expression of sadness on his face. "There are holes in my mind. There are things I don't remember."

"I understand," the woman cooed. She looked like she was salivating over him. "Take your time."

"I know I was found there, but I also know that I would never be a part of this... awful business."

The camera found Racquel again outside Belle Reve. "New evidence suggests that Lionel Luthor set up this project under his son's name. Chloe Sullivan, the woman found dead at the scene, is believed to have been Lionel Luthor's direct assistant in this matter." The camera was in the room with them again. "What about Chloe Sullivan?"

His eyes. There was the tiniest glint in them before his sad expression returned. Her phone rang. She knew it was Linda, but she stuffed it under the pillow. Her cousin's ire could wait. "I suppose I must have shot someone," he said, his eyebrows furrowed. "But I remember it clearly. I remember him shooting her. My father..." He looked down. "I'm sorry."

"Take your time," the simpering woman said, her eyes moist.

"My father was a monster," Lex went on, a mockery of misery in his eyes. "He was always losing employees. Chloe Sullivan had once testified against him in his trial over his father's murder. He later was released, but... They seemed to be seen together again. He was a charming man and my father's taste in women ran younger, the older he got."

The phone rang insistently again and she pressed the cushion down harder.

"I know he couldn't be so forgiving, whatever their relationship was. He held long grudges. I must have shot him. I know I could never have stood to see someone die in front of me." He looked down again.

the picture returned to Racquel walking the path in front of Belle Reve. "The police both here and in The Yukon are still investigating, but Lex hopes their evidence will find what he knows to be true." The room again. "Are you afraid?"

"If I did these things," Luthor said, blinking back "tears" and nodding. "Then I deserve to be where I could never hurt someone. But I know myself. And I know all I can do is hope justice is served."

Racquel appeared in front of Belle Reve again. "Brave words. We can all only hope that..."

This time, she answered the phone. "I know, Linda..."

"T-to-to..." Linda sputtered over the line. "To imply that you were not only working on Ruby with Lionel, but then to say you two were... No, Oliver! I will not calm down!... Lois, you have to get him. If you don't, I will fly out there and kill him myself!"


Previous Chapter

Chapter Three

No comments: