Almost Chloe (Chapter Three)

Chapter 3

This power, derived from the Earth's yellow sun, protects you while you dwell on this planet. You are invulnerable too all but our planet's kryptonite and emit a force field around you that can protect those you hold close.

Remember that word. Protect. This planet has sheltered you, kept you alive when all you knew crumbled. Never forget that...


*********************************

Chloe pulled over on Ninth Street to see Lois tapping her toe against the pavement. She didn't say a word as she got in the car. Chloe moved to shift out of park, but suddenly found Lois' hand over hers.

"I've put up with a lot," Lois said slowly. "You're miserable and silent and sneaky, but I deal. Clark Kent is obviously missing and you don't say a word about that either. And I deal. I notice you never sit with your back to the door anymore. And I don't ask. But today... you left me. I told you I needed you to stop me from ripping that bitch's hair out. And you just ditched me."

"Lois, I only went to..."

"No. It's fine. Keep your secrets. I'm getting used to it." She settled back and Chloe pulled into traffic. "So did you have fun at Luthorcorp?"

Chloe slammed on the brakes. Horns sounded around her until she pulled over again. "I wasn't..."

"Just stop lying," Lois said in a tired voice. "I've become an avid reader of Blythe Nellie's editorials. I know where you were."

"Okay. Fair enough. But I only went to see if he knew where Clark could be." It was nearly true.

"Don't treat me like an imbecile. I know a few things, Chloe. One is that you would never accept help from a Luthor again, the other is that you've been in contact with Oliver!" Lois looked hurt as she said this last.

"Lois, I... you can't think that Oliver and I..."

"No." Lois stared at her lap. "But I know something's going on and it hurts that you don't trust me."

"That's not how it is."

Lois looked up. "Then what? Is it that you don't think I can handle it? Do you think I can't help? I'm incompetent?"

"No."

"Because I may now be an ex-reporter from a tabloid rag, but I do have some helpful qualities that you don't: martial arts training, military connections..."

"I know that you could help, Lois." Chloe touched her hand. "It's just that most of this is not mine to tell."

"You mean Oliver, don't you?" Chloe started to speak, but Lois held up a hand. "No. Don't tell me. I don't see why I should care anyway. I'm obviously not important enough for him to call me."

"He asks about you, you know."

"Yeah?"

Chloe nodded. "All the time."

Lois stiffened. "Well, he could ask me, but he doesn't."

They sat in silence for a moment. "Lois, I... There are things where I will need your help. But there are some things I will have to do myself." She took a deep breath. "But I will tell you what's mine to tell."

Lois sniffled and glanced over. "You could start with Clark Kent. What happened?"

"He just disappeared and..."

"What happened before that, Chloe?" Lois turned fully to her, eyes full of so much sympathy, Chloe nearly cried.

"He found me... and then he was gone." Chloe did cry then. She cried out all the worry and frustration and emptiness as Lois rubbed her back. She let herself go limp as tears poured from her. She leaned into her cousin. And it felt good. It was nice to lean on someone for a change.

She lifted her head, sniffling. "So... did you rip that bitch's hair out?"

Lois smiled. "Just a little off the top."

*******************************

Lois only protested half-heartedly when Chloe dropped her home. Chloe hoped she was a little satisfied with what she knew, which was just enough.

"So Clark is nowhere to be found, Lex is torturing meteor freaks, and Oliver and some buddies have joined the fight," Lois had said, summing up in a sentence what Chloe had taken two hours to explain. "Got it. What can I do?"

She hadn't been happy when Chloe had told her "nothing yet." But Lois was a new element in this. Chloe had to plan on how to use her best without endangering her.

Her phone rang as she navigated the streets of Metropolis for the second time in a day. The ever-present black SUV was behind her. She parked her car at a free meter and got out. She knew it followed her as she walked. That was why she'd stopped at Wade Park. She waited until she came to a spot where the streetlights didn't shine and ducked into the bushes.

She ran across the park, where she knew the SUV couldn't follow. She clutched her mace tight and wished for Clark. If there was ever a time a girl needed either super-speed or arms of steel... She just had to get through this time without him. All the same, it was untried. She'd had more danger than this. But she couldn't think of one situation where he hadn't saved her in the end.

Her cell phone vibrated in her pocket. She ducked nearly into a bush and answered. "Yes?" she whispered.

"It's AC."

"I'm on my way to a meeting."

"Well, I'm on my way back from Maine- the long way around."

Chloe tried to control her voice. They might have it. "And?"

"Nothing. Whatever was here, it's an empty paper mill now."

"No! The Source said that..."

"The Source must be behind... But cheer up. At least we're on the trail."

Chloe sat hard on the ground. "How do we know that? For all I know The Source lied."

"No. It was here, Chloe. The place was rife with traces of meteor rocks. He probably didn't have time to clean up."

Chloe half-smiled in the darkness. "He's getting sloppy."

When she entered the uptown neighborhood where La Salette was, the place was closed. The hours were only until nine. This wouldn't be a late dinner meeting, then. She started to wonder if it was a trap and looked up and down the street for any sudden vehicles. A drive-by might not be Luthor's style, but it might just get the job done. Even in the early September heatwave, she hugged her arms.

"Miss Sullivan," she heard a quiet voice call. She turned to the alleyway. It was the secretary. She moved torward her and was promptly pulled into a side door. "I'm glad you came. Most people wouldn't be observant enough to look between the cup and sleeve." She smiled and sat on a crate. "He was right abut you."

"Who was right?" Chloe looked around her. They were in a store room. A single bulb lit the area filled with take-out containers and cans.

"That doesn't matter now. What matters is that you listen closely."

Chloe nodded and turned a white bucket over. She sat and regarded the thin, pale woman.

"You were right to leave Maine."

Chloe gasped. "Are you The Source?" Was it a woman with some voice equipment all along?

"No. But I work with him as surely as I work against Lex."

"Why?"

"I've been with Luthorcorp from the beginning. It was once a solid corporation and pulled more than its weight for many years. Many employees would leave now, except for loyalty. They see their captain has gone off. We believe Lex should pay for what he's done. He should be imprisoned or comitted, whatever it takes. Lex has nearly drained Luthercorp's resources with failed experiments and research that could only be called sadistic. We'd like Luthorcorp to stay intact so the board can purchase it once Lex is finally caught at his games."

"Who's we?"

"That doesn't matter. It only matters that he does no more harm." She shuddered delicately. "He thinks what he does is right and that makes him even more dangerous. He must be stopped, but not harmed. Do you understand me?"

She nodded. She did understand, though she could make no promises. If Lex came toward her with a gun, she surely wouldn't just take it.

"The reason I had to meet is that it seemed like you may be getting impatient for information. It was foolish of you to come today. Your source cannot always get to you in a timely manner, but I can help a little in his stead."

Chloe nodded again. She was afraid to speak, afraid this gift would vanish into thin air.

"First, Clark Kent was not taken by Luthor."

"I know that now." She'd just been so desperate to believe, even for a moment, that it wasn't his choice. That he wouldn't choose to leave her again...

"To keep looking for his whereabouts this way will lead nowhere and waste valuable time."

Chloe leaned forward. "Do you know where he is?"

"No. I only know Lex is as confused as anyone. He's always kept tabs on him and is frustrated that he's lost him."

Chloe shook a little. How much could Lex know about Clark? "Why is he so interested?"

"I don't know," the woman said, sounding frustrated. "I can't access everything, but I hear more than I should." She smirked slightly. "Lex hardly notices someone like me. A woman. An older woman, too. Lex underestimates women." She glanced sharply at Chloe. "Something tells me he's not making the mistake with you that he made with his wife."

"Lana?" Chloe whispered. "Does he know where she is now?"

She shook her head. "He knows she's alive. He knows she was in Smallville. But nothing beyond that. I think he was hoping for you to give something away. That's only one of the reasons he's watching you."

"The Underground," Chloe breathed.

"Yes. I hope you've stopped."

Chloe nodded sadly. She'd stop, though it would kill her inside.

"Just remember that he's not omniscient and he does make bad judgment calls. He knows you're on to 33.1 and it panics him. He also knows you're working with others, but he can't pin them down. If you want to keep silence with your family or friends, I would do so. Anything they know puts them in danger."

She nodded again. She'd tread carefully with Lois.

"The Source will be contacting you soon enough. As it stands, I only know Lex has moved the facility again. He doesn't like that he needed to. And he can be dangerous when he feels he is backed into a corner. Remember that."

Chloe stood. "I... thank you for what you're doing."

She half-smiled. "It will be worth it if you succeed."

Chloe started to leave. "I never got your name."

She shrugged. "My name's not exactly a secret. Lex even uses it once in a while."

Chloe gave her a half-hearted smile. "I guess I just want to know who to send the fruit basket to when this is all over."

She looked down. "My daughter, Eve. She works in reception. She's only eighteen." She raised her eyes to Chloe. "Will you promise that you will not breathe our names to anyone?"

"I promise."

She held out her hand. "Violet Tessmacher."



Previous Chapter

Chapter Four

No comments: