Almost Partners (Chapter Forty-One)

Lois saw something, someone, and ducked behind a shrub, keeping herself low to the ground. She stayed still for a moment, then peeked her head around. There was no one. Yet she thought she'd seen someone between the buildings. Had the Doc found out? The goons? She absently scratched at her wrist.

Everything seemed still outside for now. She had to keep moving. She crept to another bush and saw the black helicopter ahead of her. She stared at it, then at the hospital, biting her lip. It was possible that she could buy herself all the time she needed...

********************************

There was a groan from below. The man was stirring. As much as he'd wanted to question him again, he didn't want to be too near when he woke up. The Doc and the other man would find the unconscious man soon, the hole in the roof. That could tip them off to the roof itself. They had to be somewhere away. He looked to the trees. Leaving wasn't an option, not with the fence. The medical building wasn't such a great one either. He held her. He stood. He wasn't at full strength, but it did get easier every moment. He wouldn't risk a fly, but a run...

Clark moved toward the edge of the roof as Morgan shivered against him. It wasn't just the possibility of being found. He needed the direct sunlight, but she didn't need the exposure. Morgan would freeze to death before he gained his strength again. And even if he were to gain it, how would he get her out? There was an electric fence. He wasn't sure he could survive it, let alone her.

"What are you..."

"Just hold on tight," he said, then dropped down, landing heavily in the grass. He peeked his head around the building. There was another near it. He wondered if they could hide there. Just get her warm.

"Keep holding on." He rushed past the hospital, his speed giving out as he reached the other building. A door was open. Perhaps they'd already looked in...

The smell assaulted him, sickly sweet and very wrong. He knew the smell. And a voice... He moved towards it. "Hold your breath," he said to Morgan. There was a voice...

Know you are safe, held, these things are not real. They cannot...

There was no one. Only two men, one on the floor, one slumped on a couch. He knew who they were, but why were they in there?

Morgan gasped in a breath and he backed away, shaking his head. "Where are the others?" He didn't think the Doc would leave things in this state.

He felt a prickling on the back of his neck and turned. Bushes. Woods beyond. But he could swear...

"What's wrong?"

Her legs felt cold under his hands and he faced forward again. "Nothing. It's okay." Or he hoped it was. But he had a feeling there was more happening here. He looked between the two buildings and saw smaller ones behind. "Just have to get you warm." Nothing else mattered right now. He had to save who he could.

*******************************

Lois crept through the darkened hospital with a sort of light-headed feeling. It wasn't just the fact that she hadn't had a decent night's sleep in a week, it was the feeling of triumph. Whatever happened to her, this was over. Most of the people were on their way to safety. Lizzie Albright wouldn't be getting away any time soon. The only thing left was Clark.

And Morgan.

And Clark.

She didn't know where he was, but neither did Albright and that had to be good news somehow. But Morgan... Joanne kept saying Morgan would be fine. Just fine. That phrase, dropped so many times with empty eyes. It had to be bad news. Morgan hadn't been with the others. Did the doctor have some sort of plan for her? Something that caused her to toy so specifically with Joanne?

It was all coming together in bits, as was the way of things. Morgan was being kept apart for some reason. Had it been successful? Whatever it was they were doing with Clark's blood, had it worked with her? Or had it been so fatally unsuccessful that they had to keep Joanne complacent? She wasn't sure which outcome was worse. Considering what lengths Albright was going to to cover up, either seemed horrifying. There was something here that chilled her blood.

She saw a partially opened door and moved toward it. A rumpled bed, a tray on the floor, vials and instruments and... a leg. She rushed forward, breathing heavily, skirting the bed. "Morg..." No. It wasn't Morgan. A woman with long, white hair was slumped on the floor, but it wasn't Morgan, at least judging from pictures she'd seen. Then again, she hadn't thought Sue Terry would have the figure of Calista Flockhart, so she may be wrong. She bent to the woman, trying to move her head, get a look at her...

Her skin. It was so light, it was nearly translucent. But her face... "Bryce..." Albright had said Clark did something to her. But this didn't look to be something in the realm of Clark's abilities. She touched her white hair. "What happened to you?" Her lips suddenly moved and Lois flinched away. "Wasn't exactly expecting an answer," she muttered nervously.

Of course, she wasn't answering, only staring with eyes that seemed somehow bigger in her drawn face.

"Helen? Helen Bryce?"

The woman's lips moved.

"Okay." She was alive, then. "Just sit tight. Help is coming. I swear..."

"No. No help," she whispered so low Lois had to bend to hear. "Just... make sure he does it."

"Who?" Lois grasped her arm. "Clark? Where is he?"

"Gave him... keys. I hope he... he can..."

Lois loosened her grip and nodded as Helen's voice faded to breath. "I hope so, too," she said weakly, not sure what she was agreeing over. But Clark was missing and it seemed to be on his own terms. But Albright had said he was weak...

Helen's pale brows suddenly drew together. "I know you."

"Yes. Partner of the guy you kidnapped, but that's not important right..."

"I... I never saw you close. Just from far... and your license."

"Terrible picture," Lois said quickly. "Why don't you try not to talk?" She had to get her somewhere. Maybe not a hospital. But maybe Takamoto...

"Still... hanging around Kent." She gave a wheezy sort of laugh. "All seems so long ago... But your name... not the same. Why did you..."

"No. Not Lanie Cameron. I thought you knew that..." Lois let out a frustrated breath. "Listen, you really need to save your..."

"Should tell you, too... Have to tell you..."

Lois leaned in even as she heard footsteps in the hall. "Tell me what?"

"Just... sorry, Sullivan."

"...have to be somewhere."

Lois shrank back behind the bed as Helen's eyes closed. There were voices and they were closer.

"Well, maybe they just got out. And maybe we should do the same."

"Impossible. The entire parameter is surrounded by an electric fence. There's no way out except up."

But Clark could... Couldn't he? Albright said he was weak. She glanced at Helen again, wondering if she'd reinfected him.

"Then we just take that way out and now. I was hired for transportation only and..."

"One more word about what is and isn't your job and I'll find you very expendable. Do you understand me?" It was Albright. And she sounded shaky.

There was silence. But the voices were right outside the door and Lois tried not to breathe too loudly.

"Got it. Why don't you point that thing somewhere else?" There was a loud exhale.

"We have a sickly man and a woman at death's door. Surely, they can't be so hard to find."

"Yeah, Okay. So... What? We sweep this building again?"

Lois shut her eyes tight.

"No." Lois nearly gasped, but resisted. "Check the quarters. Smaller buildings to the north. They could be hiding there. Both of them."

Both of them. Oh, please...

"Where are you going?"

"I have some data to erase. And a call to make," she said, her voice fading away. "Bring them both to me."

"Crazy b*tch," Lois heard after a moment. But footsteps followed and she finally let out a shaky breath. She stared down at Helen. Her body was still and she knew, she knew somewhere deep down tht she was now alone in this room.

That same feeling coursed through her as when she let the guards go. She could mourn Helen's demise, but she wasn't sure how much sympathy she could dredge up at the moment for a madwoman.

No. She mourned something else entirely.

Pieces of truth were just falling away. Not just about the project. About herself...

Still hanging around Kent.

Still...

Sullivan...


And she didn't have time for any of it. Not until she knew where he was, till she found him. Then the talk. There would be a talk. He said there would be a talk.

She peeked a head over the bed, then stood slowly. If Clark and Morgan were both missing... It could only be good news. Or she hoped. But Clark had been brought into this place. He had to know what guarded the perimeter. And if they were weak...

Albright was right on one thing. They had to be somewhere. She moved slowly toward the hallway and poked her head out. She stepped into the hallway, clenching her fists. Wherever he was, she wasn't leaving without...

"Clark Kent."

She hadn't said that. She hugged a wall and tried not to breathe.

"His name is Clark Kent. Didn't have that before. Just the name of the woman... Well, she doesn't signify and I want you to tell me what you know about him... You obviously know something. The both of you did. Why else would Helen bring him here?"

It was coming from a room down the hall to her right and she found herself drifting toward it.

"Stop shutting me out. I need full disclosure now... You didn't see what he did to her..."

"Don't move," a low voice said in her ear as something hard poked into her back.

"If you don't tell me, I'll make sure he will... I'll be bringing him, of course."

"Hands up," the voice whispered.

She raised her hands.

"Yes. It is necessary. I'm not leaving without him. The man has answers and something else I suspect..."

"Turn around."

Lois did so, facing a large man with a mottled face and a gun. Another gun. This would make it twice in one day. She must have a magnet somewhere.

"You're coming with me," the man said, voice still low.

She nodded, resigned now. She'd done all she could. Most of the people were safe and, really, she couldn't ask that this day end as well for her. She was a dead woman when the Albright saw all she'd done. She turned back toward the Albright's voice.

"No." The man grabbed her arm and pulled her backward. "This way."

She found herself pushed into a room. She stumbled back as the man closed the door, leaning against it.

"Are you the other one?" He lowered the gun slightly and stared at her. "You don't look sick to me."

"Gee, thanks." She really wasn't sure what else to say.

He squinted. "Don't I know you?"

This day just got crazier and crazier. "Uh..."

"Yeah. I saw you. When me and Manny were moving the house." He nodded. "Yeah."

"Oh?" Lois felt the mad urge to laugh. "Small world."

"Heh. Got that right. Doesn't make this any easier." He lowered the gun, still leaning on the door. "Look, I'd be willing to say I never saw you if you tell me where the guy is."

She swallowed hard. "That's what I'm trying to find out."

"Hey, far as I know, Doctor Batshit isn't gonna hurt him. You, that's another story. So give and I let you walk. I'll tell her I took care of you. Okay?"

Lois nodded, not exactly sure what words would keep her alive. "I... uh... would. But I really don't know where he is." He lifted the gun again and she flinched back. "If I knew, I'd be with him." That much was true.

"Come on, I'm offering you a real deal here and..."

There was a groan from behind her.

The man stopped, gesturing her to the side with his gun. He moved around a counter and she found herself following. There was a man on the floor, covered in plaster dust, surrounded by dusty jars. But that wasn't the sight that had her transfixed. There was a hole in the ceiling. She found herself smiling.

The man bent down. "Manny? What the hell happened?" The man just groaned and fell silent again.

Lois didn't waste time. She bent down and grasped the first thing her hand fell on and smashed it against his head. "I'm sorry," she said to him, slumped over his partner. "All things considered, you seem like a nice guy and all, but..." She suddenly dropped what was in her hand. It was the lid of a glass container. The rest was smashed on the floor, along with...

She clutched the lid, feeling the sting of the jagged glass as she stumbled to the door, nearly retching.

She took deep breaths and pulled it open. the stale air in the hallway wasn't helping either. She leaned against the doorway as a voice floated to her again...

"...I've nearly got all the data erased... No. Nothing connecting you at all... I told you. They're taken care of, too..."

She walked, hazily, toward the voice. Toward the door.

"Never you mind how. They're completely unharmed."

Lois crept forward. She could see Albright's outline in the dim, green light of the computer screen as ones and zeros rushed down the screen.

"The Lane woman? I don't think we need to worry about her."

Lois rushed forward and pressed the jagged lid to her neck. "I wouldn't say that."

"Miss Lane." Albright's phone dropped to the floor with a mild crack. "I... I seem to have underestimated you. But I hope you know you're too late. The files are being erased and it is irreversible."

"I'm fine with that. I think I have more than enough to put you away for life. You and whoever you were talking to. Who was that, by the way?"

"Where are the others?" Albright asked, not answering.

"Long gone by now," she said smoothly. Though she wasn't sure it was true. It could be and that gave her enough confidence.

"And my men?"

"They had an accident."

"Caused by you? How did you get out?"

"Stop stalling. I'm asking the questions now."

"With what leverage? Do you expect me to believe you'd actually kill me?"

"I don't think you should test me. I saw what you did."

"I won't deny that we weren't... successful. But taking a life... Hard to come back from."

"I will if I have to," Lois said, her voice hard, even as her mind seemed to drift. "I could. I've... I've..." "Why couldn't you understand?" he screamed. "This is the only way!" And she struggled for the gun. And blood. Blood sprayed the glass. Bright light everywhere. But it wasn't on purpose. It really... "Just trying to get the gun," she breathed.

"Well, it seems you failed."

She opened her eyes, found herself slumped against the desk, a gun poked in her midriff. It was so vivid, so like the others, so... real. Of course, so was the gun poking into her belly.

"So... You got them out. Did you?"

Lois shook her head, waiting for clarity, even half-waiting for the pain, But there was none. No pain. No fear. "Long gone. I told you."

"I have to admire your resilience," Albright said, shrugging. "But it really is for nothing." Albright poked the gun in harder. "Mind moving along?"

Lois swallowed. "Guess not." Albright turned her and poked her out the door and down the hallway.

"My men? What kind of accident exactly..."

"Oh, I didn't kill them. That's obviously more your style."

"Don't you make me out to be a monster."

"Not very hard, considering..."

"I meant what I said. I have no intention of taking a life, physically at least."

Lois found herself at the double doors she'd crept in at. "Yes. You obviously have a very stern moral code."

"Be careful. It doesn't mean I wouldn't wound very severely." She felt the gun dig into her back as the doors spilled open. "I've seen death. I've seen the worst possible death. You hold your own child, you watch them die and then you laugh at my pain." She felt herself being turned around. "I was going to give these people a gift. Something so amazing. A child where there could be none. And not just any child. A special child. We were always so close..."

"But you failed, apparently." Lois shook her head. "I saw what was in those jars. I... I don't know what your pain is. But I can't feel sorry for you. You took your pain and forced it on these people. When it didn't work, you forced it some more. I... God, I don't even care what you do to me now. I'm just glad you can't hurt them anymore."

"Hurt them? No. I never... I never really..." Albright nodded to herself. "Wasn't working anyway. Never with the program. We'll find better ones, ones more committed, more..."

"Who would commit themselves to this?" Lois found herself screaming as she turned. "Your first clue should have been when you had to gas them just to get them here. But you kept at it. From what I see, these people have been brainwashed every step of the way."

The gun shook in her hand. "It doesn't matter now. The work matters." Her gun steadied. "And I... I don't really care if they got away. It will all come to nothing. I'll be leaving soon myself." She cocked the gun. "I really am sorry. I hope I can forgive myself somed..."

"You won't be leaving," Lois said, walking backward slowly.

"Because of the men?" Albright shrugged. "Don't be ridiculous. I'm perfectly capable of..."

"God, I must reek," Lois broke in suddenly, still backing away. If she could just get a little closer... "I mean, when I bled your chopper's fuel, I never knew it would be so..." There was a shot and Lois jumped to the side. She ran as another rang out.

"You scheming little..."

Yes. Keep following. She ran as hard as she could, then slid to ground, something poking her belly as another shot rang out. She wasn't in any searing pain, so she figured the Doc hadn't the best aim. But she heard her breath directly over her. She turned onto her back, grasping behind her. Something told her nobody would miss with this kind of shot.

"It's over, Albright. Can't you accept that?"

"No." Lizzie shook her head frantically and cocked the gun. "Not after everything. I can't..." Her hand suddenly shook as her voice faded into sobs. "Get up."

Lois did, keeping her hands behind her. "It's useless, you know, killing me."

"I'm sure it is," Lizzie said as Lois backed up, backing toward the same door she'd escaped from. "But I won't kill," she said, her eyes looking behind Lois. "Even you can't reduce me to that. Yet I just can't stand you going on, knowing what you do."

"But others know."

Lizzie nodded. "But they're not you. Are they? The idea of you, writing some great piece, getting glory form my work, reducing all I am to just some article..."

"That's all you'll be, in the end." Lois backed in further, already smelling the gas. "Does it matter if it's from me?"

"At this point... Yes." Lizzie gave her a shove.

But Lois grasped her arm. She was not about to have her mind reprogrammed again and she was not about to pushed around by a little old lady anymore. She pulled hard at Lizzie's arm, bending it upward as they fell into the misty room. She pulled Lizzie past her and closed the door as the gun went skittering further into the room.

Previous Chapter

Chapter Forty-Two

No comments: