Almost Partners (Chapter Thirty)

Clark stared at Victor, eyes closed, one hand reaching outward to the monitor. "Got it."

Clark let out a long breath. "Where were you the other day?"

Victor opened his eyes, squinting at Clark. "Huh?"

He shook his head. "Never mind." None of them needed to know he'd been tracking Kevin Grady. Not yet, at least. They had other work to do now. "What city?"

Victor closed his eyes. "Tribune," he said. In moments, a map appeared on the screen. "It's been still for a half-hour with no sign of change."

"Anything more exact?" This from Ollie, pacing back and forth.

"According to this map, it would be D-5." Victor shook his head and opened his eyes. "Closest I can get."

Clark stared at the monitor, trying to memorize the map. If he and Bart could find it...

"So wait..." This from Diana, standing off to the side. "We have a location and we're only sending Clark and Bart?" She glanced at Clark. "No offense, but you're just getting over an illness and Bart is only... Well, fast."

"And smooth." Bart stood, stretching slightly. "AC, tell her about the time we rescued those chicks in Cabo and they were so totally grateful they..."

"It's just reconnaissance," AC cut in quickly, sending Diana a hesitant glance. Clark sensed this was one of the on-again times in their relationship.

"We need someone there quickly to assess the situation." Victor stood and moved to the wall. He turned over a white board.

Bart let out a loud groan and sat down again. "I thought we weren't doing some huge plan," he whispered loudly to Oliver.

Victor shot him a withering look before turning back to his board, scribbling quickly, but neatly. Clark glanced behind him. Lois was standing in the corner by herself. She looked tired. He remembered the last time they'd all been together this way at Ruby Ridge. She'd been more in on it than he was at the time. She should be so now, considering this was their story. But she was pulling away, even from the story. Pulling into herself...

Victor looked out the window. "It's getting dark out. Once the sun sets, Bart and Clark will set off for Tribune. That's all we know for sure." He scribbled quickly on the board. "Plan A," he said as he wrote. "Our speed men check out the situation. If needed, we come in quietly." He pointed his marker at Diana. "Your jet is best for that. And please become visible in the event of passengers."

She shrugged. "Can do, but it'll be hard to get used to." She shook her head. "Visible jet," she muttered. "Can hardly tell what you're flying over if..."

"You'll be bringing AC and Oliver with you," victor said over her. "And the doctor, too."

Murray stood. "Me?" He glanced at Diana. "You know, I'm not so good with the high-speed travel and do you really think it's necessary..."

Ollie stepped toward him. "These people could need immediate medical attention, especially since you know what to administer to stabilize them in case they've been infected."

"Well, in a much smaller dose, I suppose, and..." Murray nodded. "I'll... Yes. I'll go." He nodded to himself again firmly. "Of course I will."

Victor nodded and turned back to his board. "We move through, tranc what guards there are and also those in charge. Diana immediately transports the people being held." He picked up a sheaf of papers from the table. "I hope you've all studied those faces." He stared hard at all of them before dropping the packet. "Then we call in local authorities to clean up what's left. We make ourselves scarce when they show."

He sank into his chair, his voice quieting. "What I'd rather is that there is no immediate need for us to tear into the place with no idea what we're dealing with. We don't know what kind of facility holds them. We don't know how much manpower this Bryce woman has on her side or what kind of security system we're dealing with." He glanced around the room. "Anonymity is important, on that note. We managed to disable surveillance before. we may not be so lucky this time. Keep your faces covered." He sighed and capped his marker. "And plan B would be my preference. I'd rather Clark and Bart check out the place and we can formulate a plan after. Most of you know how a well-thought-out plan can benefit these situations after our last outing at..." He glanced at Lois. "Well, the last one." Victor stared at her a moment, his face saddened before he hid it behind a businesslike mask. "I don't suppose you want to... help me hold things down here," he said, moving toward her. "Keep an eye on the monitors and talk them through things."

"Me?" She shrank back into the corner. "I don't know the first thing about all this equipment and... Well, I'm not that good with computers, so..."

Clark heard a slight snicker next to him. He turned to Bart just as AC elbowed him hard. "What? I only..." Bart trailed off, staring at Clark, then AC, both with hardened faces. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I thought she was joking." Clark knew she wasn't. Whatever bits she might remember, she had no idea what she was, what she could do. She could have practically run the show.

"You can observe, then," Victor said gently.

She nodded, giving him an actual smile. It jarred Clark a little. He realized she hadn't smiled in days, not for real, at least.

Linda stood from her seat. "Well, you forgot to mention me, but I'm not surprised." She patted her husband's shoulder. "I'm going in the jet, of course."

Ollie shook his head. "Linda, we have more than enough back-up without..."

"No. You are not cutting me out again. I pinned your ass to the mat twice last week when I was helping you train and let's not even mention what I did to Bart."

Bart crossed one leg over the other. "Yeah. Let's not mention that."

"Honey, we have no idea what we're getting into and it's best if we only have the most necessary..."

"Most necessary?" She scoffed. "AC's coming. Is there a lake there that we don't know about or..."

"Hey," AC stood up. "I happen to be almost as strong as Clark, here."

Linda rolled her eyes. "If you're not dehydrated. Then you're as weak as..."

"He's not weak," Diana cut in. "He's just... normal. You just want to try to come along and boss everyone around like usual. Ollie may put up with it, but when I drive..."

"Do not start with me, Flag Day," Linda said hotly. "I'll turn that precious lasso on you and make you spill your darkest..."

"Shut up, all of you." Clark's eyes widened. He'd expected this to be stopped by Victor, maybe even Ollie. He turned to his mother, jaw hanging open as she strode to the front of the room. "This is a very serious situation," Martha said. "There are lives at stake and for all of you to break out in childish arguments is just ridiculous. Victor has, I'm sure, considered this from all angles. I think we should follow what he has laid out." She patted Victor on the arm before turning to Linda. "I understand, Sweetie. The all-too-human part of this team has the hardest job of all. We have to wait and worry."

Linda glanced at Ollie, then looked down.

Martha grasped her chin, trying to meet her eyes. "But isn't it better to do it here than know that Ollie would be too busy worrying if you're okay to get home safe himself? Can you see that?"

Linda nodded. "I see what you're saying, but I..."

"I'll be here, too," Martha went on. "Do you think less of me for that?"

"Oh, Martha, no. I never meant to..." Linda shook her head and sighed. "I'll stay."

Clark heard Ollie let out a shaky breath.

Martha smiled and patted Linda on the cheek. Clark watched her leave the room, smiling to himself. He wondered if he should send his mother to shame the villains into submission.

"Okay, then." Victor stepped back, clapping his hands together slightly. "Clark, suit up and I'll wire you."

"Yeah. I already got suited and wired." Bart leaned back in his chair and gestured to Clark. "Tell this hulking guy to get a move on."

"You need to wear black," Victor said, gesturing to his hoodie. "And you need to get wired for video."

"Video?" Bart whined. He pointed to his earpiece. "I thought I was done. I don't want to wear the goggles."

Victor shrugged. "Tough."

"But they're too heavy. They hurt my nose. I swear I still have marks from the last..."

Clark moved away from the whining and toward the room he'd been in before. He expected his things would be there. He stopped in the doorway, noticing his mother was there, too. She was smoothing the covers on the bed, before she bent down. She came up with one of the older suits. "Don't think I can use that," he said from the doorway.

She jumped slightly and turned to him. "Oh, Clark..." She glanced at the suit. "This was the first, you know. It's a bit faded now." She ran her hand over the cape. "I just don't have the heart to throw it away or whatever I should..."

He stepped forward, taking it from her hands. "No. I mean, that I should probably wear black. We don't know if Superman's involvement should be public in this one." He took the suit. It was faded and ripped in places and slightly singed in spots. But it was clean, washed of all the dirt and grime in the days before he started letting Murray help him out. His suits didn't get so much as a coffee stain now, let alone getting singed from fires. He put the suit on the bed. "We should hang on to it. You never know."

Martha nodded. "You never do." Her eyes left the suit to meet his. "Clark, I... I don't usually worry about you in these situations, but... She knows how to hurt you." Her eyes filled slightly. "I know that that thing...." She took a deep breath. "That Jor-El was able to help you, but are you sure it could be done again? I mean, if you needed it."

Clark still felt the weight of the crystal in his pocket. The idea of using it was terrifying. Healing him had nearly drained it. Healing another would deplete it further, maybe even deplete him... If he were to become infected again... Well, there would be no way. Not unless it had time to replenish, to draw from the fortress even as it fed it. He knew the fortress lived in a balanced state. Taking an element away was dangerous. He should have left it there a little longer, give it time to recharge...

But what time was there? There was only this moment and this choice and he knew that lives might be at stake. It was a vow, really. When he'd trained, he'd vowed that he would preserve and protect wherever he could. This was a place where he, hopefully, could. It didn't matter the cost. Usually, there was no cost. The fact that there was didn't change things.

"Mom, I..." He took her chin in his hand, lifting her gaze to his, realizing how small she was compared to him. This was the same figure he'd hide from as an eight-year-old who'd consumed the entire pie she'd left to cool. She'd seemed like a giant then. It was almost saddening that she wasn't so big now. "I can't promise that I'll come back safe and sound."

She pulled away then, turned away, staring at a bare wall.

He stepped closer, even knowing he couldn't take her fears away. She didn't need to know about the crystal. She didn't need to know what he'd fairly decided to do. But he wanted her to be prepared. "You just need to know that I will do whatever I can to save them. And that is the most important thing, here." He didn't even know these people, apart from Bob and Mitzi. He didn't even particularly like Bob and Mitzi. That changed nothing. He had a job to do. "Mom, can you handle that?"

"Does it matter if I can?" Her back was still to him.

He touched her shoulder. "No," he said softly. "I'm sorry, but it doesn't." He felt her silent sobs. He almost wanted to take it back. But he couldn't. It was true. At the end of the day, he was just a man who saved lives. The only difference between him and your swat officers and firefighters was that he couldn't be harmed... not usually.

She turned, wiping her eyes. "So this is how they feel," she said, sniffling.

"How who feels?"

"Every other mother," she said, brushing a hand over his cheek, "sending their boy into the world with... actual fear." She shook her head slightly, her gaze meeting his. "I don't envy them."

*****************************

Lois moved away from the door. She'd only gone to that room to change out of the layers she was currently in. She hadn't meant to eavesdrop. She backed toward the living room, sinking onto the arm of a chair when her legs hit it. The entire situation was just frustrating. She knew why Linda had protested waiting so hard. They could all die, even Clark. Everyone going near that location Victor had zeroed in on. And Victor was right. They were going in with nearly nothing, no information, nothing concrete except that this Helen Bryce was involved and possessed a dangerous toxin.

And she couldn't help the feeling that there was something missing, not just that general feeling she always walked around with. There was another piece to this puzzle. Something that would make it click. Someone in that complex was in on this. Someone she knew.

Worst of all, someone who knew who she was. Her license had been missing for nearly a week. It wasn't a coincidence.

She stood, moving to the washroom off the living area. She peeled off her clothes, replacing only the jeans and one of the shirts before she shrugged into her jacket again. She moved back to the living room and passed it for the kitchen, seeing Linda's purse in its place on the counter. She dug through and took out a cell phone, noting that this was the second time she'd robbed her cousin today. She hastily put it in her pocket, deciding to buy Linda dinner in the very near future. She moved back to the living room, ready to move as soon as Clark left. She wasn't sure exactly what she'd do. But she knew where to go and who to...

"...And we're supposed to change," Diana said, pushing AC back into the guest room they'd just come out of. She was wearing second-skin black from head to toe instead of her more revealing attire. Unfortunately, it didn't make her look less intimidatingly perfect.

"We don't even know if we'll need to go yet and I hate pants." He gestured to his shorts. "I like to let myself breathe."

"Stop being such a surfer boy. How can you be so relaxed about this?"

AC shrugged and leaned in the doorway. "Just comes natural, like how you can be so uptight. You and Victor should start a club or..."

"Uptight?" Diana nodded. "You're absolutely right. I am so uptight that if you come to my hotel room tonight, I'll be too busy reorganizing my suitcase to..."

"I think I'll get changed," AC cut in, shutting the door quickly.

"Finally," Diana groaned, turning from the door. She spotted Lois and colored slightly. "Hi."

Lois smiled, slightly curious, as usual. "Lover's spat?"

"Lover... No. No, no, no." Diana cleared her throat. "Uh... What I said, it's not like we're... together. It's just a kind of a... thing," she finished lamely.

Lois nodded. "I got it." She did. She really couldn't explain what the hell it was between her and Clark. Thing might be a word for that, too.

Diana jumped the railing, landing lightly in the sunken living room. A belt and a rope hung from one hand. "I'm not knocking him, but I... Well, I don't think I could ever seriously be with Arthur. He's just too damned... free-spirited. You know the type."

She nodded, but she didn't know, really. She'd spent most of her time lately around Clark and he was anything but free-spirited.

Diana started fastening the belt around her waist. "It's not a bad thing after Steve, I guess. He was so military about everything. The man practically made the bed while I was still in it." She rolled her eyes. "Of course, that wasn't the killer. It was the fact that he couldn't handle the real me. Guys get so threatened by a woman's power. It's just..." She stopped, looking up at Lois. "I'm sorry." She laughed slightly. "Didn't mean to have an impromptu girl talk. Guess I'm just missing Donna."

"Who's Donna?"

Diana sat down, frowning as she tried to attach the length of rope to her belt. "My sister. We live together most of the time. When I'm with the League, I feel this dearth of estrogen. Linda's no help. One time, she walked in on me just innocently kissing Ollie on the cheek and she just never got over it." She sighed. "So we don't bond and... Darn this thing." She groaned and gave up, sitting back. "I really wish I'd get more notice from Ollie sometimes. I don't even have the proper equipment and no way to attach my lasso and..."

"Is that what that is?" Lois looked closer. It wasn't just a ratty old rope. Now that she saw it in the light, it seemed almost golden. "Why do you need it?"

Diana shrugged. "Never know when you need an indestructible rope, besides..." She grinned as Bart moved into the room, munching on the kind of gargantuan sandwich that was only seen on Scooby Doo. "Watch this," she whispered. She flicked her wrist and the rope flew outward, snaking around Bart's waist.

He stopped, holding tight to his sandwich with both hands. "Di, do you mind? I'm trying to refuel here and..."

"Sure, Bart. I'll let you get back to it. But first, I've always wondered about that ratty lamb on your bed. Please tell us all about it."

"Oh, that's Woolykins. I've slept with him since I was five." He looked down as the rope uncurled. "Oh, come on, Di. That is so unfair. I hate when you..."

Diana fell back, giggling. "Sorry. But Woolykins? That's just so precious."

Bart glared at her, then turned to Lois. "This never leaves this room," he said before stalking off, stuffing half the sandwich in his mouth.

Lois stared after him, then back at Diana, still giggling. "That's kind of cool," she breathed. It was, of course, the understatement of the century. Having a rope like that would be a reporter's dream. She reached a hand toward it, nearly entranced, but it moved out of her reach as Diana stood.

"Velcro," Diana burst out, nodding to herself.

"Huh?"

"Well, I'll need it to pull off easy. I just bet Victor has something. He always does." She started off, then turned back to Lois. "Oh, thanks for the chat."

"No problem," Lois said dully, still staring at the rope. If she could just have that for one hour... She snapped out of it as Diana disappeared into the control room. She turned at a slight click to see Clark closing the master bedroom door.

He turned, his eyes finding her. "Just letting my mom lay down for a while." He adjusted the pile of dark clothes in his arms. "Are you feeling any better?"

She forced a smile. "Just fine. You?"

"Well, you know... I..." He shook his head. "Lois, about the caves," he burst out. "I shouldn't have let things get so..."

"I was there, too, Clark. It wasn't a case of you letting anything..."

"But there's so much we need to talk about and things just turned into this..."

"Clark, you have more than me to worry about tonight, so just..." She folded her arms in front of her, pulling lightly at her wrist, as if it did any good. "We can just let it lie for now."

Clark stared down at her arms. "Are you hurt?"

"What?" She glanced down, then pulled the sleeve of her jacket down further. "Of course not, just a little..."

"Lois, if I hurt you back there..."

"I swear, I'm fine." She put her hands behind her back. She stepped backward. Stupid move as he followed, probably knowing he was on to something.

"Let me just look. Or let Murray..."

"Clark, I'm not hurt at all. It's just..." She sighed, realizing she should just give it up now. She pushed her sleeve up and held out her arm. "It's this stupid bracelet. Okay?"

Previous Chapter

Chapter Thirty-One

1 comment:

Emie_Star said...

Ah! Chloe... I mean Lois put on the bracelet !. Squeal of happiness!