Almost Whole (Chapter Twelve)

She paced in the lobby of the hospital. It was nearly eight. Where the hell was Jimmy? She glanced at her cell again, still unable to fit a watch in with the gigantic bracelet that would never come off. And she'd tried. This morning, in the shower, she'd lathered it with so much soap, the bar was decimated. Nothing. Not even an inch down. Just another thing to frustrate her.

It was ten till eight and no sign of Jimmy. She knew he was eager for this chance, unless she was deceived in that as well. He seemed like such a nice, open kind of guy. Not like Clark, who, while he could be classified as a nice guy, was about as tight-lipped as a trappist monk. Jimmy didn't seem that way at all. But not only did he know her enough to write her obituary, according to Kahn, they'd been involved. Yet another guy in her life she'd been involved with. Though Kahn had shot down the rumor about Lionel Luthor, it still seemed that Chloe Sullivan got around.

Yet another unpleasant piece of the puzzle, making her wonder exactly how beastly...

"Oh, hey, Lois."

She jumped slightly and turned. Jimmy was coming from the elevators. "Hi. I was just waiting for you."

"Oh, I've been here. Talked to that Doctor Takamoto. Nice guy." She followed him as he moved to a vending machine. "Talked to some of the patients, too. Told them I'd be around, just getting some candid shots. Didn't relax one of the ladies. She totally flipped and went off to find foam rollers." He put some change in, then turned to her. "Hey, you're pretty early."

"Just wanted to gather my thoughts and all." She smiled. "Maybe chat with you a little."

"Oh, I got it all figured out," Jimmy said, pressing a button and bending to grab a soda. "The Doc says everyone's in two rooms. They all seemed to be more comfortable in groups. But they aren't far apart, so I figure I'll just shadow you and Clark, make my way in and out between the two of you and just click away. You won't even know I'm there."

"That's great, Jimmy. Actually that leaves us time to grab a bite." She grabbed his arm. "I'll buy."

"Well... thanks. I mean, if you're sure."

"Positive. Most meals on a story are reimbursed, anyway."

"I never turn down a free meal."

She nodded down the hall. "Cafeteria's this way."

Once they settled at a table, her with a bagel and Jimmy with a plate heaping with eggs, bacon, potatoes, and toast, she waited. She took a bite of her bagel and let him dig into his food. Best if he was comfortable first. She had one thing going for her. She felt rested. She'd crept to bed by ten, having found the Olsen-shaped piece of the puzzle. And it was, for once, dreamless. That was both frustrating and gratifying. She'd nearly come to look forward to those dreams, as if they could help her fit everything together. But they usually left her vexed and more lost than ever, waking earlier than she wished. She'd slept clear to seven before rushing to the shower. No time for breakfast.

She stared down at her bagel. It seems she had time now, just no appetite. Nothing really appealed to her. Could information substitute for food?

It was a ridiculous thought and she forced it away by slathering her bagel with cream cheese. She had to eat something. She forced at least a quarter of the bagel down before she couldn't take it anymore. "We don't talk enough, you and me," she said as casually as she could.

"You think?" Jimmy asked with his mouth full. He swallowed, then looked off. "Well, not lately, with you being undercover, but we talk plenty usually. I mean, I don't think we talked much at all when you first started working at the Planet."

"Hmm. I wonder why that was."

"Me, too. I mean, I like you now, but... I mean, no offense, but I don't think I liked you at first. I... I don't remember why." He chuckled. "Maybe I thought you were this hot shot and you'd be all snotty. A lot of them are. You know that." He shrugged. "But you're not like that."

"I don't know, maybe I am." She faked a laugh. "I mean, how well do you know me?"

"Oh, I think I know you pretty well."

She narrowed her eyes as he focused on his food again. "Is that so?"

He glanced up before she could make her expression more bland. She was slipping.

"Oh, Jeez." He dropped his fork. "You know."

Her eyes widened. She hadn't expected this much info right off. "Uh... Yes. I do."

Jimmy groaned and sat back. "How did you find out?"

Lois leaned forward on the table. "I'd like to think I'm pretty observant."

"Crap. You must keep some kind of a password log on your computer or something. I..." He suddenly leaned forward. "Listen, I hardly even looked. It was all Rachel. I mean, you were away and she knew your password and I just came up to see what she was looking at, but I stopped her... almost immediately."

Lois stared at him, dumbfounded. Was Rachel in on this, too?

"No, I swear. I mean, I'm not judging either. I'm sure a lot of women think about Superman... that way. And it was actually really well-written, not that I... looked... much. Uh... You could write that kind of stuff for a living. Really."

Lois felt her face flood with color, a totally new emotion taking over. Deep, deep humiliation. Around the time after she'd first met Superman, nursing a girlish crush, she had fantasized just a bit... or a lot. And she had taken a little time to write some of those fantasies down and mull them over a little. "Oh, God." She dropped her head into her hands. "I bet Rachel had a field day."

"Well, she would have. She was actually going to send out a mass email to all the staff."

"Oh, God!"

"No. It's cool. I threatened her into secrecy. Told her I'd tip the Chief about how much time she spends IMing. I mean, the Chief could monitor us like Big Brother if he wanted, so..." He trailed off, shaking his head. "Listen, I'm sorry. I don't want you to think you can't trust me. You can, you know. I mean, we're friends, right?"

She took her head from her hands, trying to get back on track. "But we weren't always, were we?"

He tilted his head. "You mean when you first started? It's funny. I... I hardly remember us not getting along. I... don't wanna not get along."

She sighed. He seemed so sincere. "We're fine, Jimmy. We're friends."

"Oh, good." He smiled. "Hey! I think I do remember. I think we really started hanging out more after we went on that Grady story."

Her breath nearly stopped. "Grady story?"

"Yeah. Think I got to know you more."

"You'll... have to refresh my memory."

"Yeah. Seems like decades ago. But you took me on that interview with you, just like now." He grinned. "Taking a chance on an unknown kid. And bam! A legendary friendship." He nodded. "Yeah. That sounds right, but... not." He seemed to take on this hundred mile stare. She knew it well. It was a face she'd probably pulled a million times. "Huh. At what age does a person go senile?"

She forced a smile. "I have those moments, too. Like now. I... completely forgot to go over my notes."

"Well, you get cracking, Lane. I only snap pictures for the best."

"Yes, Sir." She gathered her bag and tray, holding her smile until she turned. She dumped her tray and hurried from the cafeteria, needing to be anywhere else. Anywhere alone. She ducked into the restroom and found it blessedly empty. She hobbled to the sink and leaned heavily on it.

"Get it together," she whispered. "And change your damned password." She'd got more than she bargained for today. It was hard to take it all in.

So Grady had somehow got to Jimmy. But why? Whatever she'd got into, was it so bad that even people who knew her had to be somehow fixed? She shook her head and leaned against the sink. The others didn't seem fixed. They were lying. But Jimmy wasn't. She could feel it.

She'd thought she'd really got somewhere yesterday. Apparently, she'd only scratched the surface.

She stared at the mirror, squinting for that other girl, that other life.

"Chloe," she whispered. "What did you get yourself into?"

***************************************

Clark moved toward the elevators through the throng waiting in the hospital lobby with balloons, flowers, and stuffed bears. Visiting hours began at nine and it was nearly that. He'd woke up later than he'd planned after a late night revising his questions (with a long back-and-forth with Perry) and a restless night with dreams of arms and legs and lips, all open for him...

He stepped onto the elevator and pushed five. He needed a hobby.

More than that, he needed his powers back. When he had a full double life, he didn't have time to obsess about Lois or sex. That was the hobby, then. And one he tried not to indulge. Because he was never sure it. did any good to think about things he couldn't have.

But that wasn't altogether true. He could have her, at least physically. As he stepped off the elevator and looked down the hall, he saw her, talking to Jimmy. It wouldn't take much. After a taste of each other, they were both ripe for it. It wouldn't take much. A touch, a word... They could be jumping into bed every few hours, like that one glorious weekend. He sighed and put the thought away. What would she think later, once he'd found Grady and cured her? She might never trust him again. It would only screw it all up royally. If distance was needed, then so be it.

They weren't horny teenagers anymore. There wasn't the excuse of youth and stupidity. He knew better. Deep down, she did, too. Or she wouldn't have pulled away last night just as he was about to chuck it all and become a slave to his libido.

There was a nearly physical gnawing in his gut as her head turned. He couldn't see her, so far away. Not now. But he knew she saw him. He turned away, feigning interest in a poster about "You and Your Spleen," and tried to imagine Perry White bellydancing. Of course, he didn't need to. The spleen diagram was more than effective.

"Hey! CK!"

He turned to Jimmy.

"About time you showed up. We've been set for hours. I was afraid you didn't get my text and you were wandering around the mental ward."

"No. I got it. And... Hi." The text had actually been what had woke him up.

"Me and Lois worked out that we should do it in the conference rooms. It being Saturday, they aren't being used and I think a lot of them are a little freaked, still stuck in the mental wards."

"I thought they were given the all clear," Clark said, looking over Jimmy's shoulder to see Lois move into a room, throwing a glance at him. "They shouldn't be stuck there now."

"Eh, just bureaucratic stuff. They can't put them anywhere else without a medical reason and most of them are still trying to figure out their housing situation. You'll get to all that in the interview, I guess."

"Yeah. Sure." He made a mental note to get to that. It wasn't exactly in his notes. But it could be a part of what's next for those he was working with. Perry did encourage him to improvise... at least outside of very strict guidelines.

"Anyway, Lois is about to get started," Jimmy said, glancing behind him. "I thought I'd shadow her first, get a few shots, then come to you. Oh... You're in three. Few doors down. They should be waiting. So glad we're on the east side of the building. No flashes here." He patted his camera, then patted Clark's shoulder. "Go team, huh?"

"Yeah. Go team," Clark said weakly as Jimmy rushed off. He felt suddenly nervous. It was, really, his first big interview. He'd got some soundbites from city officials for the dry transit pieces and city hall report. But they weren't one-on-one. He'd had some one-on-ones at Star Labs, through Murray's contacts. But most of the pieces he'd worked on for the tech section were just very dry summarized explanations, even Murray's stuff, which he was hard-pressed to stay awake through. This... He'd lived through a lot of it. It was going to be hard to keep that out of it.

He moved toward conference room three like a kid about to give an oral report on something he hadn't read. What the hell was he doing here? Why the hell had he ever decided to work at The Daily Planet. He was a farmer with one semester of college. He was a joke. He wasn't even fit to sweep the floors during this interview. He should just...

"Ah, there you are, Clark." He turned, stiff and bloodless, to find Murray, beaming at him. "Big day, isn't it?"

"I want to go home," Clark said truthfully.

"Nonsense." Murray patted him on the back. "You know, when my old friend, Ted, was afraid to show his latest invention, I said 'Ted, the odds go up when you allow the scientific community to make a reasoned judgement.' Does that help?"

"Not really," Clark mumbled.

"Well... Maybe this will." Murray embraced him and Clark bent to it and felt something slipped into the front pocket of his jacket. "Oliver has made arrangements for Doctor Ramirez," he whispered in Clark's ear. "She'll be here late tonight. We'll meet tomorrow at eight. Address on the card." Murray pulled away. "Clark..." He smiled slightly. "With all you can do, you really think you can't just... talk for an hour?"

"It's not just talking, Murray. I have these notes and I have to be thorough and..."

"And it's still just talking. Remember that."

"Yeah. Just talking. Got it." Murray moved off with a thumbs up and he returned it, though half-heartedly. He squeezed his eyes shut as Murray turned away and her words came back to him.

This isn't brain surgery, Clark. The questions are just a way to ease them in, make them comfortable, they really do all the work. You just get them to start opening up...

Maybe he was over-complicating things. Maybe it was just talking. The questions were just a guide. Something to check off. He could do this.

He patted the tape recorder in his pocket as he walked into the room, six pairs of eyes looking up at his entrance. He forced a smile and sat down. David and Sue Terry, Janice and George Halpert, Joanne Moody, and Morgan Hunter all sat one one side of the table. He took his seat, knowing it was silly, but feeling as if he was in front of a firing squad, all lined up in front of him.

"Good morning," he said, then cleared his throat.

The rest of them mumbled greetings back. His eyes seemed to fly to Morgan, who looked down, then smiled at him. He felt strangely bolstered. "This... feels weird."

There were some mild chuckles.

"I mean... We all went through some crazy times at Camp Tremain." He shrugged. "You more than me. Just... seems a little formal." He glanced at a sitting area at the end of the room. "Is it okay if we... move that way?"

***********************

Lois perched a hip on the table and focused her mind away from the mild clicking of Jimmy moving behind her, trying to keep their minds away from it, too. "But, Marcy, you had to have an inkling."

"Well, I..."

"I tell you, we were all just flabbergasted," Mitzi said, a hand on her chest. "To think that our Lizzie was some kind of... mad scientist. I'm sure Bob and I didn't think that at first." She turned to her husband. "Did we, Sugar?"

"Sure didn't,' Bob said, shaking his head.

"I mean, we thought we were part of some new frontier. That's the way Lizzie made it sound, at least. Like we'd be in science journals or some such..."

"She did, didn't she?" Lois said, nodding at Mitzi. Considering Mitzi had already gone through all two days of her share of the story, she really thought she had all of Mitzi she needed. And for a lifetime. "And just think how it must have felt, considering yourself her best friend," she gestured to Marcy, trying to get things back on track, "as Marcy did." She'd hand-picked her interviewees herself, knowing she had the most connection to them over the time, but also knowing they'd be the hardest to get through, as their number included Bob and Mitzi. She comforted herself that Clark had the Halperts.

"Marcy," she began gently. "I know they've made strides in restoring your memory here. Do you remember when you first suspected Lizzie was... well, working on other projects than macrame?"

Marcy sighed. "To be honest, I'm glad I can sit and eat on my own, from the shape my daughter... and a friend told me I was in." Lois kept her mouth shut and nodded. She knew that was Pammie. But Marcy didn't know she knew and she'd rather not complicate this with shared confidences. Distance was still important, even here. "So much of the time is hazy for me." Marcy went on. "Lizzie and I were nearly the first to move in, as it was being built. I... Initially, I believed her to be sincere in her offer of friendship. She'd recommend a doctor here or there, someone she knew as I has some arthritis and I do love to knit and..." She shook her head. "It seems the hardest thing sometimes, losing pieces of your own life."

Lois nodded again, thinking Marcy might never know how strongly she empathized.

Marcy shrugged. "There's something about being old, you know. People seem to think you have answers. They tell you things they might never tell another soul and... I remember sharing that with Lizzie. I remember that... Well, that's where things get blurry for me."

***********************

"For me, it was about the baby." Janice fanned her face. "I swear, they could have told me to run in a hamster wheel for a week and I would have."

"Would've been the longest exercise program you ever followed," George muttered from a chair at the edge.

Janice clenched her jaw. "Ignore him. I don't even know why he's here."

"Hey! I was a part of this, too."

"An insignificant part, like always. And I am not speaking to you." She smiled at Clark. "Anyway, I was convinced. It was all planned. All the arrangements were made. We were to be settled in different parts of the country with this... gift. This child like no other. And... I tell you, whatever she was doing to us, she didn't need it with me. I was on board. Except for how... it just never took."

"I was never on board," Sue said, hugging herself. "I've... Well, I happen to know I'm not susceptible to hypnosis. I tried many times, usually for weight loss. Stupid things. Aversion therapy to make me hate chocolate..." She shook her head. "None of it worked. All seems stupid now. I nearly miss my weight. That layer. It... protected me somehow. I spent all my life trying to get thin and now... I don't think I like it. Isn't that crazy?" David took her hand as Clark leaned forward.

"So why did you allow yourself to get so thin?"

Sue shrugged. "It felt like my only way out. See, I know the chemicals had a relaxant effect. Doctor Takamoto laid it all out. But I also could hear it all, like these words echoing in my head. I told David one day and he didn't know what I was talking about. None of the others did, either. I thought I was going crazy, so I kept it to myself, but... I knew somewhere, that I couldn't let them do it again. So I starved." Her eyes filled and her husband moved closer. "And it's hard to stop. I see food and I think of it as something bad. Even though it's over, I can't..."

"Shh!" David held her as she shook. "We're staying a bit longer in the ward."

Clark nodded, horrified. There was a part of him that wanted to let them go nurse their wounds. But he hoped... He had to believe that this was part of it. "What did you think when she told you of her suspicions?"

"I thought it was hormonal, actually. They were giving the women so many injections and I thought she was reacting to them. Around when she started losing weight, I didn't know what to do. I didn't care about a kid anymore, but I... I couldn't bring myself to think about leaving. Couldn't even talk about it. Until Joanne and I started talking."

Joanne glanced at him. "I have to say, a lot of this is still settling in my mind. The last few days there were so hard for me, but..." She sighed. "David and I used to take walks. We were both woodsy that way. I actually grew up in Vermont. We liked the grounds and... Well, one day, he asked if I ever thought this was odd. And it was like... I couldn't give voice to it until that moment. But it was odd. We couldn't walk past a certain point without one of the guards calling us back and... Well, once we found out about the fence... I think that's when we realized we were prisoners."

"That was when we really thought about leaving. We just weren't sure how," David added. "It seemed scary. As if the world outside wasn't safe and I know that was the programming now, but then it just... I knew we were trapped, but I couldn't seem to do anything about it."

*******************************

"I think about it now and I wonder why I let it happen," Jennifer Kern said softly. "I know now that there were others that felt trapped, but I didn't then. I felt very alone. It was just me and Allen, sort of isolated in the medical quarters. It did give me some perspective, possibly because I was missing the meetings. But... It's funny. I ended up becoming an accomplice in my own imprisonment."

"It wasn't just you," Allen said and Lois turned to him, surprised. It was the first time she'd heard him speak at all.

"Allen," Lois began gently. "How much do you remember?"

"I'm... not all there. I know that. We opted to stop treatment because I just... At this point, I just want my life back. There are things missing that I know I'll never get back and..."

Lois reached over to grasp his hand. "That's okay. No pressure." If anyone could understand that, it was her. "Just... whatever you feel comfortable saying."

"I know I heard too much, maybe said too much. And then..." He squeezed his eyes shut. "I can't..."

"You don't have to," Lois said quickly.

"If I may," Lois heard from the back of the room. Murray came forward. He was staying with her, since Allen needed the closest observation still. "I don't believe Mr. Kern's state was intentional. The gas used to placate the... well, prisoners, really, was fine for that purpose. It was when Albright tried to dabble in things beyond her abilities, that things went wrong, as with Mrs. Proud. They... didn't have the tools necessary to keep them complacent once too much became obvious to those being held." He glanced at Lois. She knew what he meant. Kevin Grady. Albright's God complex didn't allow for the use of a "freak," just as Grady's strange ethics didn't allow him to take further part in the project. He came around to pat Jennifer on the shoulder. "It's really no good blaming yourself. You had no control over the situation. And those that did shouldn't have been. They were dabbling in things they had no right to."

**************************

"It's still hard to think of Lizzie that way," Janice sighed.

"I can't believe you're still on that," Sue Terry groaned.

"Well, it is. I mean, I never liked whats-her-face..."

"Darcy," Sue supplied, rolling her eyes.

"It's actually Helen Bryce," Clark pointed out. "But..."

"Oh, yeah." Janice leaned forward. "And she was married to Lex Luthor, too. I remember the tabloids at that time and..."

"It's funny how a person can deceive on so many levels," Clark cut in quickly. Janice had been expressing disbelief consistently. That and changing the subject. She was obviously in denial. He wondered if Murray could convince her to take some part in the counteractive treatments, but he suspected that it would do no good. Janice hadn't learned much from this. Maybe someday she'd look back and realize how cheated she'd been, how cheated they'd all been. "But looking to the future," he began, wanting to get them back on track. "After something like this, how do you pick up where you left off?"

Morgan spoke up. "You don't. It's not like we can just go back to our houses and lives as if this was some long vacation. Our houses are gone, for the most part. We signed off on that early on. The money's there, but... It's like we've just moved here. We have to start over."

David nodded. "It took so much the first time around. I had to break away from my family's business. Start a shipping company here. But eight months away and I have nothing to show for it. We're looking for a place downtown, then I can start faxing out resumes." He rubbed his temples. "I never thought I'd be in this place again. Most of us had to sign letters of resignation to our jobs."

"My fucking bar's sold," George growled. "And it was a good business."

Janice snorted. "A dive busine..."

"Well, you won't have to deal with it anymore," he snapped before scowling at the floor. "Anyway, I'm not going to find a location like that again anytime soon. Not in Metropolis."

"Metropolis isn't the only place to be," Morgan said, turning to take Joanne's hand. "Vermont's beautiful in the winter."

Joanne smiled. "I... I think we're all going to rack up some serious therapy bills, but just being free is... almost enough."

*******************************

"I feel almost guilty," Marcy said, spreading her hands. "I... I can't complain, really. I've lost nothing. My home is still there and, though my daughter is insisting I come live with her, I really can't see it. I plan to end my days in my home."

"Well, our house hasn't changed, luckily," Mitzi supplied. "We weren't there long enough to sign anything. So we just have to move it all back in and maybe repaint. I never liked the eggshell and Dodie agrees that... Oh! Dodie's been by." She grasped Lois' arm. "She says hello. She is just flabbergasted, let me tell you, what with all the revelations. She's planning a luncheon and I do hope you'll stop by and..."

"Isn't that nice?" Lois said, holding her smile. "But I'm very busy." She suspected her time with The Crafty Devils was over and done, thank the Lord. This interview was nearly over and done. And she didn't want to hear about Mitzi's scheme for redecorating the breakfast nook. She wanted something quotable.

"Allen? Jennifer?"She turned to them. "I know that this has been hard on you. Do you have any idea what's next?"

"I... think we'll be fine," Jennifer said, trying on a smile. "Though remembering the time at the complex is hard for Allen, he still has the finest legal mind in the state."

Allen glanced at his wife. "Well... I'd sue if I knew who to go after." He gave a sad kind of chuckle. "I know the police are working on it, but... I don't know. What good would it do? It doesn't give our lives back. I was a partner and then I was a vegetable and... now I don't know who I am."

"You're my husband," Jennifer said softly. "You're someone to me.

Lois snapped her tape recorder off and stood. "Wonderful. Thank you all for coming." She pushed in her chair, wondering how quickly she could get out of this room. It was all too much. Not the interview, that she could handle. It was the fact that she couldn't separate it from everything else that was going on. In that, she was alone. She wasn't someone to anyone because she didn't know who she was. She didn't have anyone to help her through and prop her up because... She couldn't need it. Not when she wasn't sure it was there. "I know that you will all have many offers from other media after this." She pasted on a smile. "Possibly even movie of the week offers..."

"Oh, really?" Mitzi squealed. "You know I always thought that Kathy Bates would play me if ever..."

"But I trust you will keep yourself away," she cut in, "until at least Tuesday. Give this story time to circulate."

"Oh, of course." Marcy stood. "I'd like to thank you for all your efforts. I think you could be... a movie of the week yourself."

"Thank you."

"Miss Lane." She turned and Jennifer Kern embraced her. "Thank you for helping us get out before..."

"It was nothing," she said, hastily pulling away and turning to the door.

"La...Lois." She found herself blocked by Mitzi. "I so hope you will reconsider on the luncheon. We could all use such a strong example of female heroism and we'd love to show our appreciation in any way..."

Lois patted her shoulder. "If you all read the article, that's all I need."

Mitzi chuckled. "Well, that goes without..."

"I should get to work on that right away." She moved to the door, only to find Murray in the middle of it.

"Miss Lane, are you..."

"I'm fine," she gritted out, brushing past him.

Of course, she wasn't fine. Even she could admit it now. She found herself in a bathroom stall, crying into toilet paper right off the roll. She nearly hated this... jealousy. These people had been through something traumatic and how were they? At peace. How could they be? She wasn't. She wasn't sure if she'd ever be. Even if she knew it all, would that replace living it all?

How did anyone go on with pieces of their life missing?

She breathed deep and stood, composing herself.

She didn't have a choice. She had to go on, both with her life and with her investigation of... that other life. But the two didn't have to be simultaneous. She couldn't live a double life much longer. She needed some time...

**************************************

"I suppose it just takes time," Janice said, sniffling against Clark's shoulder.

He patted her back awkwardly. "That's what they say."

"But it really is so hard and..." She squeezed his arm. "You are just rock solid, aren't you? Do you work out?"

"Uh..."

"You know, I'm not legally separated just yet, but if you ever wanted to..."

"Clark!" Jimmy nearly shouted behind him.

"Oh, thank God." He pulled Janice away from him. "I mean... Thank you so much for the interview. And, as I said, all other offers can wait till Tuesday if..."

"Oh, yes. Mum's the word and all." She giggled. "I wouldn't dream of..."

"I'm sorry. I really have to confer with my photographer."

"Of course. You just..."

He turned away and rushed to Jimmy. "Hey, Jimmy."

"Did you see me?"

"No, I actually..."

"See, that's the point." Jimmy grinned. "I was like a ghost. So glad this was a morning thing. With that eastern light, there were no flashes or..."

"You did a great job," he said quickly. "I can't wait to see them in print." He clapped Jimmy on the shoulder, feeling strangely guilty about those thoughts of yesterday. Jimmy wouldn't...

Jimmy winced. "Whoa, there! Hell of a paw you got."

Clark pulled his hand away and stared at it. "Yeah?" He hadn't even been angry. He'd thought maybe his anger had been causing his strength to act up.

"Anyway, I got some great shots. Just you wait." Jimmy started away, then turned. "See you two back at The Planet."

"Yeah. See you there," he said absently, still staring at his hand. He thought of his conversation with Lois last night about the way his powers had developed. Invulnerability, then strength...

"Clark... Oh, I'm sorry, maybe I should call you Mr. Kent."

He turned to find Morgan behind him. "Clark's fine. As long as you don't... you know." Even alluding to Superman gave him some kind of hope. Maybe it was all coming back. Maybe he could be what he was.

"No. I know." Morgan turned to wave at Joanne, who was talking to David. "I doubt I'll see much of you now, being away from Metropolis. But I hope you know..."

"Morgan, I trust you."

She nodded. "That means a lot." She dropped her head, sniffling slightly. "I... I want to be a better person than I was. It was my career that brought us here and it was my determination to have a child that kept us there and..."

"Don't," he said, cutting her off. "Whatever you did, it doesn't matter now. You won't do it again. You have another chance."

She stared at him, then pulled him down to kiss his cheek. "You're everything I wanted you to be," she whispered before moving away.

He smiled at her back, but he felt strangely sad. If only he'd been here a year ago. Rather than leaving Chloe with harsh words, he might have left her knowing what he really felt. Maybe he would have come back to Lois Lane, but one that believed in him the way even this near stranger did. Now... he had a Lois who wanted space. And he'd give it to her. He couldn't deny her anything she needed.

But if he had a second chance... It did no good thinking about it.

But if it came, he wouldn't waste it.

Previous Chapter

Chapter Thirteen

No comments: