Deep In The Bottle (Part Eleven)

Chloe watched the door close behind Lex and looked around, desperate to find something, anything, to do. She didn't want to think, didn't want to remember this last minute, let alone last night. But she'd seen it again, that look on him. It was almost pleading, almost sad. She almost preferred his goading and teasing from before. That was a Lex Luthor she could wrap her head around. But this one...

He was supposed to swagger off like the bastard he was. He wasn't supposed to slink away like a sad little boy. She shook her head and shuffled to the couch. No. She didn't pity Lex Luthor. One didn't pity the most ruthless of ruthless billionaires.

Her pulse jumped as the door knob turned. She stood, holding her robe together, then settled. It was only Lois, poking her head in. "Hey, birthday gi... Oh. There you are." She moved inward and closed the door with her hip, holding two large cups. "And I was so gonna wake you with the sweet aroma of your birthday caramel macchiato." She shrugged and held out one cup. "Anyway, here."

Chloe took the cup and forced a smile. Part of her wanted to shake Lois for having been out on what they both knew was no stake-out. The other part knew she had no room to talk, with what she'd done. "Thanks."

"You'd never believe who I saw down there."

Chloe thought she might have an idea.

"Sonny Warbucks and he reeked like a brewery. I was so tempted to spill coffee on him not completely accidentally, but then I realized that wasn't in the birthday spirit."

Chloe tried to force a laugh, but it came out like a rusty squeak.

"Jeez, you look tired. Maybe you should go back to bed."

"No," Chloe said quickly. "I really just want my coffee." And to change my sheets. She held the cup up and sat down again. "Thanks. It's... just what I wanted."

"Oh, but that's not all." Lois smiled widely. "I made reservations at that swanky Italian joint with the good cake. I can call up Clark and Lana and..."

"Lois," she interrupted. "You're going to have to cancel."

"Cancel? Why? It's your birthday and..."

"And Gabriel has me on at work tonight."

"But he never said a... What could be so urgent that you have to work tonight?"

"Police blotter," she sighed, moving to the couch with her coffee. "Biggest of the month, he says, so..."

"Well, I... you should call and tell him it's your birthday. I'm sure he'd see reason. He's... he's not so bad, really."

"Thanks, but no." If Lois had some kind of leverage, she was not about to take advantage of it. She'd learned the hard way not to take hand-outs - from the elder Luthor. "I'd rather just work tonight." That much was true. If she had work to look forward to, it would leave less room for thinking. She hoped she'd be overworked for the rest of her life.

*********************************

Unfortunately, work didn't seem to be on the table. When she got there, Peterson was sitting down, already sighing over his desk and the pile of work that should have been hers. "What are you doing here?"

"Me?" He shrugged and leaned back in his chair. "Missing my son's formative years. You?"

"Well..." She gestured to the police blotter. "I was supposed to..."

"Not a chance, Sullivan." She turned to see Lois, grinning at her from the break room. She stepped out. "Who's up for a birthday dinner at Scarantino's."

Chloe closed her eyes. "Please tell me you didn't call G..."

"Yeah, she called me," Peterson groaned from behind her. "Told me all about how it was your birthday and you were being forced to work and your cat just died and..."

"I did not," Lois cut in. "I mean, not the cat part, but the rest." She turned to Chloe. "I just couldn't stand you working, not when I feel so awful for neglecting you in the first place. Besides," she threw over her shoulder to Peterson, "I am taking obits on Tuesday, so someone should stop whining."

"Probably have to redo them," Peterson mumbled.

"What's that?"

"Nothing." He glanced around Lois at Chloe. "Happy Birthday, Sullivan. If you see my kid, remind me what color his eyes are."

Lois rolled her eyes and grabbed Chloe by the arm. "Downer," she muttered. "That's what happens when you spend too much time with dead people. Come on, there's something really rich with your name on it, so..."

"Lois, I don't..."

"No more arguments. Gabriel won't even know. Now, let's get..."

"You don't understand. I don't..." She stopped, taking a deep breath. How was she supposed to say that out loud? I don't want to have a birthday. I don't want to be happy. I made my bed and now I want to be miserable in it. It's no more than I deserve. That was how she should feel after what she'd done. And yet... She thought of his words from earlier. Because it felt good. And that's all there is to it. It was strange that the words of Lex Luthor, of all people, would bring her comfort. Last night, she'd done something that felt good. That was it. She wouldn't do it again. But she also couldn't live out the rest of her days beating herself up over it.

"I don't..." She pasted on a smile, hoping it would stick. "I don't think I'm dressed for it."

"Oh, don't even worry." Lois laughed. "It's the prices that are ridiculous there, not the dress code." She tightened her grip on Chloe's arm and pulled her to the elevator. "And you aren't paying a dime. Got it?"

Chloe shook her head and let a real smile creep its way onto her lips. "Yeah. I deserve it. It's my birthday."

***********************

She was almost having a good time. She wasn't exactly a wine aficionado, but whatever Lois kept pouring into her glass from the carafe was pretty nice.

She pushed her veal around her plate, then went for her wine glass again. She just couldn't dredge up the appetite to approach her food the way Lois was attacking her linguine and scallops. The wine seemed to go down easier. Usually, she grimaced at the taste of wine. There was some saying about hair of the dog... She supposed it was true. The only immediate cure for the effects of alcohol was more alcohol.

"This was so supposed to be a bigger deal," Lois was saying between bites. "I wanted to get Smallville here and Lana and... Well, not Jimmy and Kara. That might be awkward. As it is, I couldn't even get Clark and Lana. So, it's me and you."

Chloe couldn't, either. At least not Clark. She wasn't ready to speak to Lana yet. But she'd tried Clark's cell twice, which went straight to voicemail both times. A part of her was afraid there was a bad reason for that. But Lana would have called her if there was any reason to worry... or not. Maybe their last conversation had Lana feeling as disillusioned with her as she was with Lana. Her hand moved toward the purse hanging on the back of her chair of its own accord. She snatched it back. She couldn't call in front of Lois, but soon...

She had a bad feeling. She was too busy feeling sorry for herself to think that something might be seriously wrong. There could be bigger things going on than her birthday. She wasn't surprised. In her life, there were always bigger things going on than her.

She grasped her purse decidedly. "I should probably see what the ladies' room here looks like. Probably has a couch or..."

"Are you finished with your dinner?"

Chloe put her purse in her lap and looked up at the handsome young waiter. "Yes. I'm done." Just a few more minutes and she could be out of here and on the phone.

Lois looked aghast. "God, Chlo. You hardly touched your food."

Chloe lifted her glass to her lips again. "I touched the wine," she said, faking a smile.

Lois shrugged. "Okay. You're the birthday girl." She turned to the waiter. "You can bring us the check and, you know... that other thing."

Chloe closed her eyes, knowing what that other thing would probably be. As much as she appreciated the birthday dinner, she was in no mood for cake when she had no idea where Clark was, her stomach was still queasy, and she'd spent the previous night in bed with Lex Luthor.

"Lex Luthor," Lois said, a smirk on her face.

"Huh?" Chloe's eyes widened. Had she just said that aloud? She didn't...

"Over at the bar." Lois tipped her head to her left. "What the hell is he doing here?"

Chloe's eyes moved to the bar. And there he was. He wasn't looking their way, but she had no doubt his being here was no accident. The only question was how he'd known. Chloe sighed, feigning absolute disinterest. "I guess even supervillians get a hankering for Osso Bucco once in a while. Let's just ignore him."

"Believe me, no problem," Lois huffed. "I'm off-duty, anyway. I spend enough time hating Luthor on the clock."

Chloe's eyes were drawn to the bar again. His back was to them. Maybe he wasn't there by design, but of all the restaurants, out of all the days...

Her thoughts were stopped short when a fat man with a booming voice started belting "Happy Birthday" in Italian. Lois stood up, grinning. Chloe wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry at the last twenty-four hours. Her best friend was possibly missing, she'd had sex with her worst enemy, and now a fat tenor was singing to her.

On the upside, the cake was chocolate.

Lois stood back, trying to sing the last verse in off-key English as some diners stared at them. Chloe's eyes moved to Lex again. He was the only person in the place not looking over. There was no doubt. He'd known she was here. She just wondered what he meant by showing up.

"Come on," Lois urged, taking her seat again as some of the patrons clapped. "Make your wish."

Chloe stared at the small, round cake. I just want Clark to be safe. Can I have that? Her eyes narrowed as they fell on Lex again. And maybe for Lex Luthor to finally leave us all alone. She took a deep breath and blew out the candles as the patrons clapped perfunctorily before turning back to their meals. Since Clark wasn't magically in front of her and Lex was still at the bar, she supposed the birthday gods weren't on her side. It was a day after, after all.

"Thank you," Chloe said, smiling at the waiter and the singer. They nodded and moved away.

"Oh, you forgot the check," Lois said quickly.

The waiter turned. "Everything's taken care of." He glanced at Chloe. "Happy Birthday."

Lois turned back, her face puzzled. "Who would..." She suddenly smiled, blushing slightly. "Well... Guess we have a mystery benefactor."

Chloe knew Lois was thinking of Gabriel. She also knew she was dead wrong. "Guess so," Chloe said, her lips thinning.

"Cake looks yummy," Lois said, swiping a finger in the icing.

Chloe pushed it toward Lois. "Have all you want. I'm not in a cake mood." Especially not when it's been tainted by Luthor money.

"Eh, we can have it at home." Lois stood, tossing down her napkin and stretching. "Why don't we check out that ladies' room?"

"You go on. I'll meet you outside."

"But I thought you had to..."

"I'm fine," Chloe cut in. She took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. The wine must be getting to me. I think I just need some air." She offered Lois a shaky smile. "I'll meet you outside."

Lois shrugged again, staring at her strangely. "You're the birthday girl."

Lois had hardly gone two steps before Chloe grasped her purse and coat and headed for the bar. She stood behind him, her eyes boring into the back of his head. "What are you doing here? You aren't wanted."

He didn't turn, but she caught his reflection in the mirrored wall behind the bar. "I wasn't aware this place was so exclusive." He downed the amber liquid in his tumbler, then smiled at the woman behind the bar, dropping a hundred. "Keep the change." The woman beamed as she took it and even that pissed Chloe off. Because he wasn't a kindly benefactor of young bartenders. He was evil personified and he shouldn't be smiled at.

"Am I supposed to think this was a coincidence?"

He took his coat form the barstool and walked past her, hardly glancing at her.

She followed him to the lobby, her eyes narrowing. "You magically show up and our check is magically paid and..."

"I never said it was a coincidence." He shrugged into his coat, opening the door to the chilling wind.

She followed him out, still clasping her own coat to her side. "What did you do? Follow us?"

"No." He handed a ticket to the valet attendant along with another carelessly offered hundred.

"Is this some kind of payment?" She was nearly shaking with anger. "Because this is bad enough without the added bonus of being treated like some floozy to be bought off with..."

"Miss?" Chloe turned, seeing her waiter at the door. He was holding a box. "You forgot your cake. I took the liberty of..."

"Yeah. Thanks." Chloe took the box quickly, trying to smile. It wouldn't do to be seen about town arguing with Lex Luthor. "Thanks very much." She turned back as the door closed behind him, her smile falling away.

"That the birthday cake?" Lex glanced down, but not at the box in her hands. "Want to give me a slice?"

Her hands itched to open the box and shove the whole thing in his face even as her skin flushed with awareness. Doing it once was forgivable... maybe. But never again. "What exactly are you up to?"

He smirked, turning to the street. "Just another birthday present. Wanted you and yours to have a little fun."

"No." She shook her head. "There's more to it than that."

A silver porsche pulled to the curb and the attendant got out, tossing the keys his way. He caught them easily, turning back to her. "Like I said, have fun... while you can."

She stared as he moved around to the driver's side. "What's that supposed to... mean?" she finished on a shaky breath as he closed the door. She stared after his car as he squealed off down Fourth Street. While you can...

"Oh, thank God!" She jumped slightly as Lois appeared in the open door behind her. "I thought someone made off with the cake." She took the box from Chloe's limp hands. "This is so gonna be our breakfast." She felt Lois' free hand on her face. "Hey. You feel any better?"

Chloe turned to her cousin. "Lots better," she lied.

"You don't look better. You look kind of worse than you did."

"Nothing sleep won't fix."

But sleep was not to be had. She changed the sheets. She stuffed his abandoned shirt in the Talon's wastebasket far below her. But she could still smell him, feel him... His hands ghosted over her as his words echoed in her mind. While you can...

********************

"Merry Christmas," Lois muttered, pacing back and forth as Chloe stared into space. "Yeah, fucking right. Can you believe it? He's going to be our boss!"

Chloe stared ahead of her. Being trapped in an elevator with a bomb? Nothing compared to this. She never thought her birthday wishes would have come out so uneven. Clark was home, but Lex was far from leaving her alone.

Her boss.

She closed her eyes, hoping it would all just go away. She'd pushed it away all these months. It was easier when she didn't have to see him. But to walk into that office every day... To know he'd be there...


The End??? No. It's not. The sequel is RIGHT THIS WAY

Previous Part

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG this was BRILLIANT!! My screen was fogging up most of the time, even when they weren't doing the horizontal mambo. :P I just love how you wrote them, I could picture everything so perfectly.

Please continue, I can't wait to see what's awaiting Chlex. I want Clark to find out and go bat shit crazy jealous. I want Lois and Lana to find out as well.

Please please write more.

Anonymous said...

I'm still waiting for the sequel, woman! And quickly. This is too good to stop right now.

grlmonday said...

Oh, man...That is SO Lex Luthor! He threatened her. I'm dying to see how you handle things in the sequel. I'm so glad there IS a sequel :p

Girl, you got me Chlexing! I never thought it would happen but you're such a superb writer :D Love this fic. Love it.

April said...

I'm so sorry I missed these comments. If you all ever come back here, know they're answered...

@Anon1: The sequel is done and linked above. Thanks so much! I really enjoyed writing this back in the day.

@Anon 2: Sequel linked above and I'm jjust about to start on the third and final part of this. :)

@Grlmonday: If I have turned just one person to the wild chemistry that is Chlex, then my work is done!

Kristin said...

This is the first story of yours that I read. It never stops being good.