Action Time (Chapter Four)

Monday...

She slapped him away as he pulled her inward. "Could you wait?"

"No. It's been five days now and this is the first time I've been able to get you alone. And what do you want to do? Play nurse. And not in the good way."

"Well, you've been injured."

He snorted. "That's not an injury. It's a... booboo or something." He pulled her in again. "You can just kiss it better."

"No, thank you," she said, pulling away and getting the first aid kit out of her top drawer. "I don't know what kind of dark alley you got this in."

"It's a little scrape." She scoffed loudly as Oliver went on. "Besides, I won... sort of. At least I got the money before he got away."

"Well, he got a few layers of your skin." She opened the kit and laid out a paper towell before gesturing to him. "Gimme?"

"No, he didn't," he said, sitting on the desk and presenting his shoulder. "Pavement got most of that." She pulled out an alcohol wipe. He flinched before it even touched him. "What? Those sting like a motherfahhhh..."

"Just hold still," she said firmly, wiping at his shoulder as he hissed. But she did move her other hand to his chest, slowly unzipping him as she dabbed.

"What's this?" he said, looking down with a smirk.

"Me checking you over for more injuries," she said lightly, running her fingers up and down what skin she'd exposed, hoping he'd concentrate on that and not the fact that she was going for the tweezers.

He shut his eyes and let out a long breath. "This takes me back."

"To when?"

He smiled just a little, his eyes still shut. "To when Hawkman put me through your window."

"I wasn't rubbing your chest."

"Yes, you were --- at least every time I remembered it later, you were... Whoah! F*ck!" He opened his eyes and flinched away. "What are you torturing me with now?"

She sighed and held up the tweezers. "There's some glass embedded in your skin."

"Can't we leave it there?"

"This or the hospital, Ollie," she said with a withering look.

He relented and held still, squeezing his eyes shut.

She glanced at his scrunched face. "So..."

"So... What?"

"I'm just curious about that time. What was it about me that made you so hot and bothered?"

He chuckled. "Are we fishing?"

"No," she said on a huff as she leaned closer to his shoulder. "I'm just curious. I mean, you said before that was when you first thought of me in that... well... in that way."

"I never said that."

"Yes, you did."

"Well, I didn't mean it was the first time I thought of it." He shuddered as she pulled out a thin shard of glass and tossed it onto a paper towel. "We'd been working pretty closely for months before that and I'd known you for years before that. I'd have been an idiot not to think of it before. That was just the first time I thought of acting on it."

"Really?" She bit her lip as she pinpointed another piece of glass. "So when was the first time you thought of it?"

"When I met you, obviously."

She drew back and slapped his shoulder.

"Hey!" His eyes snapped open as he turned to her. "We really have to work on your nursing skills!"

"You were dating my cousin then!"

"And you were wearing a tight skirt. Besides, I was only looking. And you were dating Jimmy. So..."

"So? I wasn't the one looking."

"Really? You didn't say I was, and I quote, wow?"

She blanched and buried herself in his shoulder again. "You heard that?"

"You don't whisper as quietly as you think you do," he said with a smirk. "Anyway, I'm a guy. We look. Doesn't mean I was going to do anything about it. I just thought my girlfriend's cousin was kind of hot. Then I thought my ex-girlfriend's cousin was kind of hot. Then I thought that chick I hired to do the occasional hack had a hot ass..."

"You and my ass," she said on a groan as she picked at another shard and dropped it on the towel.

"It's all your fault. I was spending more time with you those last months and you bent over way too much. I was beginning to think it was on purpose."

"What?" She rolled her eyes before she got them to focus on his wound again.

"Picking up a pen, plugging something into the usb port, leaning into Pemberton's car, getting creamer from the mini fridge..."

"Those are legitimate reasons for bending. And you didn't have to look."

"Like I had a choice." He shrugged and she nearly lost her grip on that last bit of glass.

But she got it and wrapped it up in the towel with the others, moving to the waste basket. "You could have concentrated on the matter at hand and ignored my ass." She bent over it... just a little more than she usually would.

"Not as fun," he said, just a little gravel in his voice as she turned back and his eyes snapped back up to hers.

"So... all that time we worked together, you were just ogling my ass?" She shook her head. "Oliver..."

"What?" His eyes widened. "No. It wasn't like that. I was in the game and your ass was... like a hobby. Just something I indulged in to take the edge off."

"Very flattering," she sighed as she picked up the tweezers and... just dropped them. "Oh, no. Where could they be?" She turned around and bent over... a lot. "I'm just such a clumsy..."

"You little..." He gripped her by the hips and drew her back against him.

She straightened as he continued to knead her hips, drawing her skirt upward with every clench of his hands. "Oliver, what are you doing? Please endeavor to be professional," she finshed, trying not to moan. She failed at that as he bent his head to her neck.

"You were supposed to be alone, you know," he whispered into her skin, "that night when I showed up and took you and John to dinner."

"So you've said."

"I know. I just think about it a lot. I wonder how that night would have gone if I'd... See, Hawkman said I act like a jackass because I don't want anyone to know how important they are and I wanted you to know that you were... I mean, after what you've done for me, you were..."

She whirled in his arms and pressed her lips to his, licking lightly between them before she drew back. "Can we not talk?"

"But you need to..."

She kissed him harder, pressing him back to her desk because she didn't want these empty words of gratitude. She'd heard it all before. She'd been put on this pedestal before. Told she meant so much to someone, told she meant more than she knew. And she wasn't going there again. Besides, what had she done? It was no more than anyone would. Anyone trusted by heroes like these would do all they could to keep their secrets, all they could to protect them. This, these moments between them, had nothing to do with that. They couldn't. Things got confusing if they did.

So she was there for Green Arrow. She was also there for The Blur. She was there for Cyborg and Black Canary and...

"BART ALLEN."

Well, he was Impulse here, but she was still there for...

"VERIFIED"

"Oh, no," she groaned, pushing Oliver away and backing to the wall, checking her buttons were in order.

Oliver fell against the desk and stared at her. "What the..."

"If I know Bart, he's not going to wait for the..."

"Happy Valentine's Day!" Bart announced, throwing open the doors.

"...elevator," she finished lamely as he sailed in.

"I know. Two weeks late." He tossed a red, heart-shaped cardboard box at Chloe. "But that just means all the candy's on clearance."

"Well, that's very sweet of you, Bart." She opened it and a sea of empty wrappers fluttered to the floor.

"Oh. I kind of ate all of them," he said sheepishly. "But I thought of you the whole time," he said, suddenly appearing at her side. "Hey, you look flushed," he said as she dropped the box. He glanced at the desk, then rushed to the desk, picking up the first aid kit. "Don't worry. I'm on it." He reappeared in front of her, holding up a stethoscope. "Open your blouse and say ahhhh..."

"That's it!" Oliver moved toward him.

Chloe let out the loudest laugh she could and batted him away, spearing Ollie with a glance. "Oh, you!" She grabbed the stethoscope and tried to concentrate on Bart as Oliver moved to the couch, grumbling. "What are you doing in town?"

"Well, you said you needed more hero support and here I am. I will fulfill your every whim," he said, gripping her hand and raising it to his lips before she could blink.

"But that's not till Friday," she said, glancing at Oliver, "when I'm going out of town."

He drew back, frowning. "I didn't hear that part. So we're not going to huddle together by the glow of your monitors?"

Oliver stood. "Not if I have anything to..."

"I'll still be on call," Chloe said, cutting off Oliver. "But not here. I have other commitments and..."

"But I'll be so bored," Bart groaned. "You know Clark is no fun these days." He was beside Oliver in a flash. "Tell her, Boss Man. Tell her how I told Clark about the dinosaur rest stop and he wasn't even a little impressed."

Oliver seemed to breathe through his previous rage. "I'm sure Clark has other..."

"See?" Bart ended up on the couch, lounging on the arm and shaking his head. "No fun " He shrugged and stood. "Ah, well. I'll just tell him you're out of town, then guilt trip him about how lonely I am and..."

"NO!" Chloe found herself yelling just as Oliver did. She gave him a look before she moved to Bart. "Bart, I don't want Clark... or anyone to know I'm out of town this weekend. This is... personal." She resisted letting her eyes drift to Oliver. "I really need you to just be here and help out without telling anyone anything... By anyone, I mean Clark."

"So I just show up?" Bart scoffed. "Out of nowhere? So not like me."

Chloe had to laugh. "Really?"

Bart sped up to Oliver, leaning on his shoulder. "Just you and me, Boss. What do you say we make a night of it -- after the criminals are all tucked in their cells, I mean. I'm thinking fajitas and..."

"Uh... I'm afraid I'll be in Star City all weekend."

"Man!" Bart threw himself on the couch again. "You guys suck." Then he stood quickly. "Got anything to eat around here?"

"In the..."

"I'm on it," he said, rushing to the mini fridge.

Oliver moved to Chloe. "I'm telling him," he hissed.

"No," she whispered back. "This is our business. And he'll tell everyone as soon as..."

"Long as he tells himself," he started, grabbing the stethoscope she was still holding, "not to play doctor with you."

"This is an outrage!"

They both jumped as Bart appeared between them. "Bart," she began, "whatever you heard..."

He held up a jar of salsa. "No chips? Who buys salsa, but no chips. I have a good mind to complain to management." He turned to Oliver. "I'd like to lodge a formal comp..."

Chloe rolled her eyes and pushed him toward the kitchenette. "In the cabinet. Top shelf."

"God, I love you," he said, dropping a kiss on her cheek before rushing away. There were two slams before he reappeared on the couch, spreading his loot on the coffee table. "So... what are we doing?"

"Not what I wanted to," Oliver grumbled.

Chloe nudged him and turned to Bart. "Don't you have to get back to Keystone City or..."

"Nah. It's dead till all the factory workers get drunk enough. I got time to kill." He leaned forward. "So I know we're supposed to be all lawful, but, Chloe, I wouldn't judge you if you happened to use dubious means to get us that new Statham movie on the big screen."

Chloe sighed.

Oliver growled and leaned toward her. "How long?"

"Three days."



Wednesday

"Oh, God," she groaned, pulling off his coat as he backed her to the counter. "Where the hell have you been?"

"In meetings all day, then driving all this damned way," he said, nearly ripping at his tie. "What are you doing in Smallville again?"

"How many times do I have to remind you I live here?" She gasped as he abandoned his tie in favor of lifting her onto the counter. "Lois doesn't know about Watchtower and If I don't sleep in my own bed when she's not on nights, she starts asking questions and..."

He stiffened and looked to the door. "Where is she, anyway?"

"She won't be back for at least three hours," she said, pulling on his tie until he turned back to her.

He grabbed her under the knees and toppled her to the counter. Something crashed, but she didn't care.

He leaned over her. "Just three hours?"

She lifted her head. "You think you need more?"

"I work all day. You work all night. We can't find a damned minute, so yes. I have way more than three hours of this stored up," he said, sliding a hand up her top.

"No. I'll be impressed if you deliver."

"Well, you'd be satisfied if you could find a few minutes to stop by my office and..."

"No, thank you. I am not having sex with anybody in Luthorcorp Plaza." She shuddered, then again in a better way when he latched onto her neck.

"Can't help it," he said against her skin. "I pretty much live in that office. Haven't had time to look for a place."

"You wouldn't have to bother if you hadn't let the loft go."

"Too drunk to notice at the time," he said, a hand sliding under her bra. "Now, can we not argue location? We're here now and we have time before..."

"I'm home! Chloe?"

Chloe opened her eyes. "What? Lois?"

"Who else? Can you get the door? My hands are full."

"Uh... just a second." She grappled with Oliver, trying to get his hand out of her shirt while trying to hop off the counter. She must have grappled too hard as he landed on the other side of the counter with a thud just as Lois opened the door.

"Never mind. Got it." Lois kicked the door shut and juggled three bags. "My lead was a total bust, so I figured we'd spend the night in. I shopped hungry, so I have about everything in the world plus sundae toppings and... Oh, my God!"

Chloe squeezed her eyes shut. She'd seen him.

"Is that our fruit bowl?"

Chloe opened one eye and glanced to the floor on the other side of the counter. So that was the crash. "Oh. Yeah. Wow."

"What happened?" She tripped slightly, then bent down, putting down her bags and picking up Oliver's coat. "Whose is this?"

Oliver suddenly popped up from behind the counter. "Nope. Not down here."

"Oliver?" Lois blinked at him. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I was in town and wanted to ask Chloe some... computer kind of thing and I just can't find my keys now." He moved to Lois and grabbed the jacket. "Thanks," he said, holding it in front of him.

"Yes. He's just been... tearing this place apart," Chloe finished lamely.

Lois glowered and put her hands on her hips. "And breaking our fruit bowl!"

"Yeah. So sorry about that."

Lois shrugged and picked up her bags. "Eh, we never end up eating the fruit, anyway. We should stop pretending, right Chlo?"

"Uh-huh," Chloe sighed and turned to her, torn between panic and sexual frustration.

"But ice cream..." She hefted her bags on the counter. "That we eat." She dug in one bag and pulled out a carton, gesturing with it at Chloe. "I'm thinking we don't even bother with bowls. Just pour all the toppings right in and grab some spoons. It'll probably get ugly." She nodded to Oliver. "So you should make yourself scarce."

"Really?" Oliver tossed a desperate glance at Chloe, still holding his coat in front of him. "Because I was hoping Chloe might come into the city and... help me with my hard drive."

Chloe was ready to whole-heartedly agree when Lois stepped around the counter and pulled Chloe inward. "Oh, no. None of this freelance computer crap tonight. I haven't had a night off with my baby cousin in weeks and we are due." She reached one hand back and came up with a DVD. "I got a movie out of that dollar machine. Police Academy 6. Your favorite."

"Actually, that's your..."

"Whatever. I got you caramel topping and coffee ice cream. You're being spoiled." She waved at Oliver. "Bye now."

Chloe saw his hands clench in his coat, but she also felt Lois' hand on her shoulder and... Really, it had been so long since she'd spent any time with Lois. She gave Oliver an apologetic smile. "Bye, Ollie."

"Yeah. Bye." He moved to the door.

"Hey, what about your keys?" Lois piped up.

"Uh..." He shook his coat with a slight jangle. "Must have been in here all along," he said through clenched teeth. "I guess I'll see you, Chloe." He opened the door and turned. "How long?"

"One more day," she said.

He nodded to himself as he moved out, slamming the door just a little.

Lois pulled away and glanced after him. "One more day for what?"

"Just... till I get his laptop fixed."

"Oh, yeah. That's what you do now." Lois rolled her eyes and dug into her bags again. "Seriously, I don't get it. From counselor to... Geek Squad now? When are you going to stop all this craziness and come back to The Planet?"

Chloe sighed. They'd had this talk a few times. More since Chloe stopped working at Isis. Lois seemed to think that was altruistic enough to make sense, but Chloe's cover of freelance computer consultant didn't seem to gel with her. "Maybe when The Planet's checks aren't signed by Luthorcorp," she said, giving her typical response.

"Eh, there aren't even any Luthors at Luthorcorp. What's the big deal?"

"I have my reasons." Chloe pasted on a smile and turned to the counter. "You said there was coffee ice cream?"

Lois pushed a carton toward her. "Just for you."


Friday

"How long?" Oliver groaned.

"Two more minutes," Chloe said, clicking away.

He leaned in the doorway. "You said that two minutes ago."

"I just need to make sure I can access all the needed data from my laptop. I may be physically out of town, but that doesn't mean I don't have to keep an online presence so no one's neglected while..."

"Why don't you concentrate on me?" She found herself pulled back against his chest. "I'm neglected."

She sighed as his breath stirred her hair. "Not for long. We have two nights to ourselves." And she was really looking forward to it. He wasn't the only one feeling neglected.

He turned her to him. "It was supposed to be three nights, you know. You welched."

"Well, I couldn't leave last night. Canary needed support and then AC needed disabled security and..."

"And if we don't get out of here now, someone else is gonna need something." He moved to her console and detached about five cables from her laptop.

"Hey!"

"You have enough." He bent to her bag and slipped it in. "Coincidentally, I've had enough. I'm about to drive three hours upstate, a foot away from you after a week of cock-blockage from every direction and then another day's delay. Don't you think I've suffered enough?"

"Poor thing." She took her bag from him with a smirk, then moved closer. "Why don't you let me tell you how I plan to make it up to you?"

He groaned. "If you don't want tomorrow's tabloid to read billionaire, anonymous blonde, and vehicular sex on the side of a country road, then please don't go into detail." He gave her a sound slap to the bottom to prod her to the door. "Let's go!"

"Going, going..."



PREVIOUS CHAPTER

CHAPTER FIVE

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

AW! Cmon! I feel like Oliver! lol. Seriously, ending a chapter like that!... I really loved it though. So funny! Great characterization. So cute. Not puppies and bunnies cute: but cute all the same. Loved the waiting/anticipation...

Like they say: "Good things come to those who wait"!

April said...

Thanks. I do love writing Bart. He's such an adorable brat.

Anonymous said...

Oh Bart...sigh'. Never had a chance. Way to bring on the funny. Surprisingly a great chapter without the usual...um relations b/t the two. I loved the sexual frustration...haha!

Anonymous said...

this chapter is the best one >3~

oh bart! you're so adorable!!

Anonymous said...

Ha! Very cute/sexy. I love sexually frusterated Oliver! I really enjoy his obsession with Cloe's ass, LOL. It is a very nice ass:) Can't wait for the next chapter!

Anonymous said...

Just found this fic and it's so much fun! Please say that you're almost done with the next chapter! I'm dying to see what happens ;) Poor Ollie and his continually foiled plans...

April said...

@anon1: Poor Bart. But he does keep trying. I can't wait to write his reaction to the news. Should be hilarious to see.

@anon2: Bart's kind of my pet side character. So glad you liked the funny bits.

@kaylaclaus: Somebody's gotta appreciate that ass! I do enjoy making Oliver wait. It's novel for him. New chapter coming up today!

@jessicaj703: new chapter's going up in seconds. I'm go glad you're enjoying :)

Bekah said...

Poor Ollie. Cock blockers every where he looks. Loved Nurse Chloe at the beginning.

"She'd been put on this pedestal before. Told she meant so much to someone, told she meant more than she knew"

Excellent use of history here.