Before Sunset (Part One)


PART ONE

Clark stared through the broken stained glass window.

You must return to me before the yellow sun has set.

He bent his gaze to Lana, bloody and weak on the floor. "We need to get you to a hospital."

There was still time before sunset. He could get back. But he couldn't leave her here, bloody and broken in what remained of Lex's study.

Each time you let your emotions guide you, the fate of the of the entire planet is at risk. That is your weakness, Kal-El.

The entire planet was safe for now. He could afford this moment of weakness.

Her eyes slid shut, but he could feel her pulse still thrumming. Just unconscious. He felt guilty for being relieved. Surely, he should feel somewhat aggrieved that she was injured enough to be knocked out. But, really, it gave him more time. There was a greater good here. And Lana seeing just had no part of that. If she couldn't see... He spied the key on the floor and quickly pocketed it before standing, making sure she was still out before rushing to the med center.

*******************************

He left her in the ER, assured by the on-call doctor that she would be fine. Lois said his parents would be fine. Everyone would be fine. Now he could keep his word. Everyone would be... wondering where he'd gone. He didn't even know how long he'd be gone. His parents. He didn't have time to say goodbye. And Lana... It seemed they'd been so close to making it work this time...

"I'm sorry, sir, but we've admitted no one by the name of Chloe Sullivan."

Maybe Chloe could find a way to explain, at least to his parents, that he was alright. Now that she knew, he... Chloe. He turned, stopped in the lobby. Two men in dark suits were at the admitting desk.

"Thank you for your time," one said with a false smile.

He moved outside, looking through the wide wall as they came to a stop in the crowded waiting room, listening carefully...

"...obvious Sullivan isn't here. Let's just go."

"Mr. Luthor said to stand-by until further notice."

"I haven't even been able to check and see if my own damn family's okay and I have to wait here for some high schooler who may or may not show up."

"We won't have to wait much longer. He's nearly landed in the Yukon. Once we get confirmation it's her..."

Clark couldn't stay to hear anymore. He rushed to the caves, the key heavy in his pocket.

It's Chloe I'm worried about, Lex had said. She was down in the cave with me when the meteors hit. I was knocked out and when I came to, she was gone.

He didn't know how Lex had gotten this far, but he couldn't let him get any further. He slid the key home and waited.

Clark, before I passed out, there was a light brighter than anything I've ever seen. I could've sworn I saw you standing right in it's epicenter.

He shook the snow off himself, staring at the fortress.

Do not fail me, Kal-El, or the consequences will be grave.

And he was sure they would be. But how grave might it be if Lex found Chloe?

Your secret will never ever leave my lips. No matter what.

No. She'd never tell. But for Lex to find her in a hospital in the middle of the Yukon... She could seal her lips all she wanted and it wouldn't matter. He'd know. Maybe not fully. But he'd have a good start.

You must return to me before the yellow sun has set.

He took one last look at the fortress, then at the setting sun. There was still time. Just to warn her. Tell her Lex was coming. Hide her...

Each time you let your emotions guide you, the fate of the of the entire planet is at risk. That is your weakness, Kal-El!

Just one more moment of weakness...

*************************************

Chloe took her jacket, still slightly damp, shrugging it on quickly before Clark tossed her her shoes. "Where are we going?"

"I haven't thought that far ahead. Anywhere you can get home from. We can't let him find you."

"Clark..." She hurriedly stepped into her shoes. "Not that I'm not grateful you came back for me, but... Don't you have somewhere else to be?" She stood. "I know I didn't seem too alert back at the igloo, but I could have sworn I heard a disembodied voice saying something about returning and sunset and dire consequences..."

He stared out the window. "But I can't..."

"Clark, just go. I'm up and dressed and fully able to give Lex and a goon or two the slip and find somewhere to phone home..."

He cast a worried glance at the window again. "If you're sure..."

"I'm positive. Now..."

They both stilled at a familiar voice in the hall. "... perfectly safe releasing her into my care... a friend of hers and..."

"No," Clark growled. He didn't hesitate. He threw open the window, stepping over the edge before pulling her to him. He jumped.

********************************

He saw the hospital safely in the distance before he stopped, putting her down. Lex wouldn't see them this far away. He looked at the tiny town in the hills. Maybe too far away. "You okay?"

"Me? Fine." She shivered. "Little on the cold and jarred side, but basically fine." She glanced at the deepening orange sky. "I can get by from here. You just..."

"No. We're too far from town."

"Clark, if you don't get back, I'll never forgive myself. Just..."

"I am going back." He picked her up again. "And you're coming with me." He sped off before she could say another word. He'd explain to Jor-El that he needed to get her home first. Just a little more time...

The sky was fading from orange to purple. He allowed himself a glance west as he ran, clinging to her. He kept north, as the rocks and dirt gave way to snow. He nearly skimmed over the surface of it at full speed, waiting for those crystalline spikes in the distance. If he could just get there...

"No," he breathed as he felt himself slowing. "No." He pressed onward, suddenly feeling the weight of her in his arms, a strange and unpleasant feeling in his limbs...

The fortress. That's what Jor-El had called it. He could almost see it, but it was growing so dark... and that strange feeling came again, that shivery, unpleasant feeling as his steps slowed as the weight of her grew heavier...

He found himself trying to plow forward only to stumble against the knee-deep snow. He tried to keep his grip on her, but she slipped from his arms with a scream, landing a few feet away as his knees buckled and he fell face forward. The snow stung his face and hands, moisture seeped through his clothes. He felt hands turning him over.

He opened his eyes and Chloe's face swam before them. "Clark? Clark, what happened? What's wrong?"


INTRO
PART TWO

4 comments:

Bekah said...

awww Clark so protective of his Chloe. This is the Chlark I love.

A bit jarring going from season nine fic to this. I think I can handle it.

Anonymous said...

*growls at Jor-El's stupidity* I'm loving Clark's protectiveness here.

April said...

Heh. It would be, wouldn't it? Season 9 Chlark was so dark and cold.

April said...

I know! Your son is off saving the world from evil alien invaders, helping injured people, but you decide to be petty and take his powers because he was late for curfew. SV Jor-El will always be the worst!