Almost Chloe (Chapter Twenty-Eight)

Chapter 28

He'd left.

He didn't just leave the room this time. He'd gone. Martha Kent was left a note to meet him in Smallville. She, of course, immediately arranged to fly back with Victor. "I just don't know what to do," she said as Chloe stood in the doorway, watching her stare at a suitcase and a pile of clothes. "Do I take all this? The suitcase is not even mine. I mean, it was terribly sweet of Oliver to..."

"I'd take them if I were you." Chloe turned to see Victor behind her. "The boss man won't have much use for ladies' wear. Besides, he likes playing Santa Claus on the side of that whole Robin Hood thing."

"Victor," Martha sighed, dropping her task and moving past Chloe to him. "I'm really going to miss all of you. Especially when Clark..." She gave a small laugh and hugged him. "Well, I'll think about that when it happens."

He pulled away, clearing his throat, and Chloe felt his hand on her arm. "We'll let you pack. I'll meet you in the Bell later."

She let him pull her away and down the hall and to the stairs. "Where are you taking me?"

"For a walk," Victor said, leading her out the front door.

He finally let go when they were on the streets outside. "I gather you want to talk about something."

He nodded and started walking. "Linda told me what she thinks you should do."

"Linda," she repeated. It had almost sunk in. She shrugged. "Linda has a lot of opinions. I don't know what to do yet."

"She's almost taking it as an insult, you know. She said she could have stayed Lois if she thought you weren't going use her name."

Chloe smiled.

"What's wrong with my name, anyway?" Linda had asked last night. "I mean, its got some credits and it's at least related to you. Do you want some new, strange name? One you don't even know? You're just being stubborn. I can't talk to you."

But she did. For at least another half-hour.

She nudged Victor's elbow as they walked. "I'm just taking my time. A new life is scary."

"Well, I thought maybe we should discuss it. From one dead person to another."

She glanced sideway at him. "I'd nearly forgot about that. Do you ever miss your old life? Your old friends?"

"Every day. But I found something more important." He stopped and turned to her. "The fight is more important. Personal happiness and people you care about..." He looked down. "These things go away. But there will always be the fight."

She stared sadly at him. "Do you really think that?"

"I do. I need to believe that what I am has meaning. I find that in the fight, not in meaningless... relationships."

She thought of Lucy and how close they had seemed to be at fleeting moments. Victor probably knew more about loneliness than she did, with his history. "Are you saying I should give up on... a certain someone?"

He looked up, shaking his head sadly. "Boyscout has his own issues. You know he's going to leave. I'm not saying he'll never come back, but... You're setting yourself up for pain and distracting yourself from what's important."

"The fight," she said.

He nodded. "I think Lois Lane should stay in Star City. I think she could get a job at The Sentinel. I think she should be the one journalist that is on our side." They both looked up as a helicopter flew overhead. It was low, too low, and Victor flinched. "She's going to crash it. I know it."

Chloe looked up, confused, as it rose higher. "Isn't that the Bell?"

"Oliver's teaching Linda to fly it." He clenched his fists.

She laughed. "And you're worried about your baby?"

"Shut up, Watchtower." He bumped her arm. "Think about what I said."

************************************

She let the phone ring this time. Last time, she'd hung up before even that.

"Hello?" It was Martha. She hung up. She didn't know what to say. Would she ask to speak to him? Would he even come to the phone? She didn't know. But she had to try. Wouldn't her best friend want to know she might have a new identity... if they even were best friends anymore.

What were they?

She couldn't leave it just because she was afraid to know. She steeled herself and dialed.

It rang again. "Hello?"

He didn't hang up this time. "Hi, Martha." She cleared her thoat. "Um... It's Chloe. You know, I just tried to call and... Well... Anyway, is Clark still... around?"

"Yes," Martha said. Chloe could hear the smile in her voice. "He's off making further arrangements with Ben Hubbard. Trying to make sure I'm okay before... Well, you know." She sighed. "I have to confess... I don't need him to. But I'm letting him. I haven't told him about the money."

Chloe started. "What money?"

"Oh, I... Well, I thought you knew. Oliver knew. Some lawyers for Luthorcorp tracked me down and... Well, my mortgage is paid, apparently. It was in Lionel Luthor's will."

"Martha, that's..." What? Great? Nothing connected with the Luthors, father or son, was a big cause for celebration. "I'm glad you won't have to worry about the house."

"I suppose it makes some things easier. I'm thinking of going back to baking. I always did enjoy it and... Well, I'd rather work from home, stay close until I know what he's decided."

It was the perfect time to ask to speak to him, ask him exactly what he needed to decide. But she couldn't make herself ask for him. "I just... wanted to make sure you were okay."

"I'm fine, Honey."

"Good. Because... Well, that's why I called. I have to go." She hung up quickly, frustrated. There were too many decisions and possibilities flying around in her head. She could take Oliver's offer- take the passport and license and go back to Metropolis. She could stay in Star City, work at The Sentinel, help the boys, be with what was left of her family. She could pull a Lana and go where no one knew her, find a new life... alone.

************************************

"Chloe?"

She looked up from the laptop, then quickly shut it. She'd been reading The Daily Planet online. She couldn't help it. She still needed that connection to the paper she'd always worshiped.

There had been an obit there. It was someone she knew well, written by someone she also knew well.

Her eyes had misted when she saw the words of James Olsen. "Chloe Sullivan. A great reporter. A great human being. May her search for truth continue."

"What's up?" she asked Linda - Linda, Linda, Linda - hurriedly wiping her eyes.

"We need to talk." Linda shut the door. "It's been two weeks. I... Chloe, I really need to know what you're going to do. I'm your family now and... Well, I can't take you holing up in the mansion all the time. You're not happy." She came behind her, putting her hands on her shoulders. "I saw what website you were on. Chloe, just go back. Oliver can help. Most of the staff that knew you could... suddenly have better offers. And those that don't, well... Lois Lane was Chloe Sullivan's cousin. A resemblance wouldn't be too nuts."

Chloe shrugged her off and stood. "Victor thinks I should stay here and write for The Sentinel."

"Really?" Linda paused. "I'm not exactly opposed to that."

"I just... There's so much to consider. And on top of that, there's..."

"Clark," Linda finished.

"It's silly and completely anti-feminist, but... I just don't want to make a decision without his thoughts. But every time I call, I just choke. And he'll be leaving soon. I..."

"Tell him," Linda said suddenly. Chloe whirled to face her as she came nearer, grasping her shoulders. "Tell him you love him. Tell him you'll be waiting for him. Then go back to Metropolis and do that. Chloe, as blind as I think Smallville is, he'd be nuts not to come back for you."

"I don't know if he will and... Do I want to go to all the trouble, let Ollie go to all the trouble, if he won't come back for me?"

"You have to try."

Chloe nodded, tears forming in her eyes now. "You're right." She moved to the phone.

"No!" Linda took her arm and pulled her from the room. "You don't do something like this on the phone. You do it in person." She pulled her down the hall.

"But a plane ride could take hours."

"And the Bell will take half that time." Linda led her up the circular stairs to the roof. "I'm so excited. I'm getting really good at flying, too."

"You're flying?" Chloe nearly wanted to run back downstairs.

"Take it or leave it, Cuz." She pulled opened the door at the top.

Chloe stared at the Bell and nodded. "I'll take it."


Previous Chapter

Chapter Twenty-Nine

No comments: