Almost Lois (Chapter Nine)

"Yes. Hi. I'm planning a wedding and, to be honest..." She forced a laugh. "I've been having a devil of a time finding Damask roses. I was just wondering if you happened to carry them... I see... No. My client is insistent on the Damask... Well thank you, anyway... Yeah. You too."

She hung up and glared at the phone. Lois had spent all morning on the phone. It was now nearly noon and, having called nearly every flower shop in a huge city, she was getting tired.

She'd learned early on that a web search was useless. The only places with websites didn't even mention if they carried Damask roses. It was bad enough she'd had to drive to work in crooked pantyhose with no underwear or bra and show up in a dark brown skirt with a navy jacket and black shoes.

She glared over her monitor at Rachel. She was now chatting, not on a work-related call. She was awful cheery after having insulted Lois for about a half-hour straight on her outfit and hair and...

She shifted in her chair. On top of it, she was sore. If she ever liked a man enough to have sex again, she'd purge the words harder and faster from her vocabulary.

She groaned and laid her aching head on her desk.

"What's up, Lois?"

She lifted her head to find Jimmy coming over. He'd still been cheery and friendly and it only served to remind her that the doctor hadn't called her. In fact, the cheeriness in general was annoying. People shouldn't be cheery. "Nothing, Jimmy." She patted a phone book. "Just calling every florist in Metropolis."

He pulled up a chair. "What for?"

"Can't say. It's for a lead." She dropped her head into her hand. "Just need to find out who sells Damask roses. Probably nothing, anyway."

He shrugged. "Want some help? The chief thinks I'm getting him a sandwich."

"Won't he notice if you don't come back with it?"

"Nah. He'll forget he asked and come out calling for a muffin soon. Why do you think his office is such a mess? The guy just keeps asking for food even if he doesn't eat it. The guy's so scattered lately, he..."

"Olsen!"

Jimmy ducked to the side of her desk and motioned frantically. Lois stood and turned to Perry. "He's out, Perry. I asked him to... go get some muffins."

He patted his stomach. "I could use a muffin," he said, almost to himself. "Good work, Lane. Now get back on Luthor."

"I'm definitely... on it," she finished when he closed the door. She sat back down.

"I owe you," Jimmy whispered, getting up. He took the phone book from her desk. "I can get this done. That pimply girl in the mail room has a thing for me. I'll split it with her. How far did you get?"

"Uh... Just to M. Um.... Thank you." She watched him leave and suddenly wondered why she'd been looking a gift horse in the mouth. A friendly Jimmy might be just what she needed. She could use a friend in this office.

Just then, a former friend came in. A flannel-clad friend. She ducked her head and stared into her empty coffee cup. "Uh... Lois?"

She sighed and lifted her head. He was wearing those glasses. She'd thought they looked sexy on him once. Now she just thought they looked... stupid. "I see you managed to leave my apartment," she hissed. "Are you stalking me here now?"

"I'm helping you here."

"I don't need it. And why the hell are you wearing those glasses?"

He leaned in. "I figure that... Well, if something comes up and I have to... You know, do something. Well... No one's gonna think the guy with the glasses did it."

"What?" She shook her head. "That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Just because..."

"Lane!" She stood quickly as Perry strode out.

"Yeah, Perry?"

"I got a call from my source at Belle Reve. Grady's confirmed as the..." He trailed off, looking over her shoulder. "Don't I know you?"

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. When Perry had met Clark, he'd been trying to film him with X-Styles crew, which was getting a little close. "This is... uh..."

"Clark Kent," he said from behind her.

She turned to him, a warning in her eyes. Didn't he remember?

"Oh, yeah. She glanced to Perry, who was elbowing her ribs. "I met this kid years ago. Got me to stop drinking. I was a mess back then. I was so foxed, I thought the guy was some kind of freak."

Clark laughed, then glanced at her nervously. Serves you right, she thought. He cleared his throat and held out his hand. "Mr. White. I remember. How have you been?"

"Except if that slime Luthor gets off, I'm great." He shook Clark's hand. "Listen, I really want to thank you for helping an old drunk all those years ago. I mean, here I am now. Editor of the greatest paper in the world."

"Gee, that's great, Mr. White."

Lois rolled her eyes. The corn-fed act was a little much.

"And I owe you," Perry went on. "I promised. Guess you're here to collect, huh?"

"Actually, I came to see Lois."

"My Lois?"

She glanced at Perry and smiled. She couldn't help it. There was this childish rush of warmth and she suddenly saw them eating sundaes and going to the zoo.

"She actually spent some time in Smallville," Clark was saying.

Perry laughed. "Who didn't? I guess..." He turned sober and squeezed her shoulder. "Oh, yeah. The cousin. Tough break. We'll get that bastard, Kid."

She thought she might cry now. Maybe she was on her period. Her mood was swinging all over the place today.

"That's why I'm here," Clark said. "I'm helping her out."

Her mood switched to furious again.

"Yeah?" Perry left her side and took Clark by the shoulders. "I remember you wrote for your school paper. Are you thinking about journalism as a career?" She stared in horror around her. Was everyone trying to screw with her today?

"Well..." Clark glanced over his shoulder at Lois, who shook her head, glaring. "You did say to look you up."

Perry sighed. "Ah, well, I know, but... I mean a job here... That's a tall order. I mean, Lane had some experience, but you..."

"He's right, Clark," she said carefully. "This isn't a job you just waltz into." She heard a bark of laughter behind her and turned to give Rachel Rogers a dirty look. She only smirked and continued filing her nails.

"Tell you what?" Perry clapped him on the back. "You help Lane out and we'll see."

"But Perry..."

"Lois, you look like hell. You could probably use a hand."

She opened her mouth, but couldn't produce more than a horrified squeak.

"Hey, Lois!"

"What?" she shrieked.

Jimmy started, then came slowly forward, past the two men who were ruining her life at the moment. The entire bullpen was silent. "I just..." He held out a piece of paper, looking at her warily. "I got a florist for you. Pimples is kind of fast with the fingers."

She took it and smiled. At least one thing was going right. "Thank you, Jimmy. Are you sure it's the only one?"

He nodded. "Pimples said the girl on the phone was a real ditz. But apparently, rare roses are their big thing."

"Olsen?" Jimmy turned in horror to Perry. "Didn't I ask you to get me a muffin?"

"No. Don't you remember? It was an onion bagel," he lied smoothly. "The guy was all out. I gave him hell for you."

Perry nodded. "Good. Now get me danish." He turned to Clark. "I'll see you later." He patted Lois' arm absently as he passed her.

"C.K.?" Jimmy said once Perry's door had closed. "I haven't seen you in forever. What are you doing here?"

Clark looked to Lois, then to Jimmy. "I used to come here all the time."

"Yeah?" He shook his head. "I don't remember." He shrugged. "Anyway, I gotta get a danish. I'll catch you later." He turned to Lois. "See ya."

Clark watched him walk away. "What's with him?"

"Don't worry about it." She grabbed her purse and unfolded the slip of paper. She caught him trying to look and she hurriedly stuffed it in her bag. "Bye." He didn't get the message. He was right on her heels as she went down the stairs. She turned at the bottom. "Clark, just go home or go stop a speeding train or something."

"This is more important. You wouldn't be so secretive about a florist for nothing. It's because of what you and my mom..."

"Clark," she sighed. "Fine. I get that you're concerned and... I guess you can come. Just... Could you grab us some coffee?" She pointed to the vendor in the lobby.

"I don't have any..."

She groaned and dug in her purse, pulling out a ten. "Double shot nonfat latte."

He nodded and took the money, the idiot. She didn't waste time. She rushed out the door and to the curb, whistling through her fingers. She pulled open the door when a cab stopped. "1422 Magnolia and hurry."

As the cab pealed away, she risked a glance out the back window. He was standing just outside the doors with the money hanging out of his fist. She turned back and smiled to herself. Now two things had gone right.

Previous Chapter

Chapter Ten

No comments: