Almost Lois (Chapter Seven)

She didn't react, didn't show any sign of being startled. She just turned and closed her door slowly. She moved to the chinese food cartons still littering her coffee table and picked a few up. "You talk," she said as she moved past him to the kitchen. "I said all I had to say nine months ago."

She tossed the cartons in the garbage, still nearly full. She wasn't in the mood for leftovers. When she came back to the living room, he was sitting with his hands on his knees, staring at the floor. "I wanted to talk to you at the house, but..."

"No, it's fine. I love when guys sneak into my apartment at midnight. What did you do? Follow me?"

"I got the address from my mom."

"Oh. So Martha can tell on someone when she wants to."

"Chloe, don't hold this against her. I made her swear not to..."

"I don't," she cut in, moving to the coffee able and grabbing more cartons. "I shouldn't have said that. I don't blame your mother at all." She stalked back to the kitchen and tossed the cartons in her hands with the others in the trash.

"Chloe, please..."

"My name is Lois," she said stiffly from the kitchen doorway. "I never want to hear that other name from you again. Unless you want to put me in danger."

He shut his mouth and watched her bend to gather more cartons. "Could you hold still for a moment?" he finally asked.

"Can't," she said, straightening. "Don't want to attract flies. This place is crowded enough with stupid..." She found herself picked up by the waist and placed on the couch. A blur moved around her living room and into her kitchen. She barely had time to react before he was back, standing in front of her now-empty coffee table.

"Can we talk now?"

She leaned on the arm of her couch. "Okay, let's talk." She smiled. "How was the ice palace? Cold?" She laughed. "What am I saying? Not to you, right? So... when are you going back?"

"I'm not," he said.

"Darn," she said, lifting her chin. "And here I thought I'd finally got rid of you. Nothing gets rid of Clark Kent faster than any outpourings of love from me, so..."

He had the nerve to look hurt. "Chl..." He shook his head. "Lois, I had to leave. I had to complete my training. You know that."

She nodded. "I do. I also know what you said to me."

"I meant it. I want you to be happy."

She laughed. "Really? Then you shouldn't have come here in the first place."

He ran a hand down his face. "I just... I'm staying in Kansas. It's my home. I want to keep it safe and... Well, help anywhere else that I can. And, since I'm staying..." He sighed. "Can't we... go back? We were best friends. And it was... easier."

"Yes." She stood. "Easier. I was easier back then, wasn't I? In fact, I was easy, if you know what I mean..."

"Chl..."

"Say that name one more time and I'll go digging around Crater Lake for some kryptonite."

"Lois, then. I didn't..."

"I wasn't finished," she said, coming around the coffee table. "I was easy back then. I mean, I was totally willing to play personal assistant, best buddy, and at night..." She stopped right in front of him. "Well, you don't pretend anymore, do you? Are you still pretending that didn't happen?"

"I know it happened, but..."

She pushed at his chest. "You fucked me damn near every night. Well, on and off. I couldn't exactly keep track. You treated your real girlfriend like a princess and treated me like your whore. And I took it and I still worshiped you." She let out another laugh. "I took as much of it as I could because I was sure, somehow, that you loved me underneath it. And you'd realize it and we'd be happy." She turned away and moved towards the open window. "I used my last ounce of love for you the last time you left. When you told me not to wait for you. So... Can we be friends? No, Clark. I don't even think I can look at you again." She swallowed hard. "Please leave."

"Chloe..."

She whirled around and flew at him. "Stop saying my name!" It hurt her hands, but she kept smacking. "I never want to hear that name from your lips again." She smacked those lips, she pulled that hair and she kept going because she wanted something to break him. She only pulled back when her limbs were exhausted and limp. "I hate you," she sobbed.

He reached for her, but she pushed him away.

"Don't touch me." He had the grace to actually move as she sank to the floor, staring at her carpet and the crumpled card... She must have dropped it.

"What's that?"

She reached for it, but he was quicker. He was kneeling and unfolding it before she could blink. She saw him read it before crumpling it in his fist. "My mother told me she got one. But you..."

"Don't worry. I'm not your responsibility anymore." She stood and looked down at him. "You have more important people to save."

"Don't say that," he said, rising up.

"If Lex is sending these love notes, he obviously has nothing better up his sleeve. Otherwise, I'd be dead by now."

"My mother thinks they're a warning."

She shook her head and hugged her arms. "Maybe for her. Not for me. We all know how he feels about me. They're a threat. But I'm working on it. I have a lead."

"What do we have?"

"We?" she asked shrilly. "Is there a 'we' now? No. There's you and there's me. I'm working on a way to neutralize Lex. I'm also hot on the trail of how he sent these flowers." She pointed at her chest. "I have been doing just fine all this time, better then ever, really. I don't want or need you anymore." She moved to her door and opened it. "This or the window, Clark. But you better take one."

He stared at the floor. "I want to keep you safe," he said slowly. "If I could take you and my mother..."

"I'm not going anywhere and definitely not with you." She gestured to the hallway.

He looked up. "If you would just listen..."

"I'm done listening to you."

"Did you even read that note? He said..."

"I know what he said," she hissed, finally worrying what her neighbors would think. She liked this building and didn't want any big, dumb alien getting her kicked out.

He moved closer. "Then you should also know that Lex wouldn't just kill you. He'd do... something worse."

She raised her eyebrows. "Worse than death? I don't know. Death is pretty..."

"Don't play dumb. You know what I mean."

"Of course I do," she growled. "And I might just prefer it to accepting any help from you. I'd let Lex Luthor touch me a thousand times over before I..." Suddenly her door was closed and she was up against it, her feet dangling. She knew it was the wrong thing to say even as it left her mouth, but she'd said it anyway.

His eyes bore into hers as his breath came heavily from his nose. His lips were a grim line. Apparently, nothing upset Kryptonians more than evil bald men playing with their toys. She licked her lips and his eyes followed. "Why don't you put me down, Clark? You don't want me getting ideas."

"Like what?" His eyes moved to her chest and she felt a twinge deep inside her. It had been a long time for both of them.

"Ideas that you want to fuck me," she whispered, gazing satisfied at the muscle that twitched in his jaw at her words. If he didn't love her, he at least still wanted her. "We both know you've always come back for more. Is it good, Clark? Is that why?" She arched her back even as his hands still pinned her arms. She felt his grip loosen and she slid down, felt her feet touch floor.

His eyes were hooded and his mouth went slack. "It's good," he breathed.

"Yeah?" She freed her arms and ran her hands up his chest. "I liked it, too." She stepped close and pressed herself against the front of his pants. The sweatpants did little to hide what was there. "Such a big, hard, cock." She stood on her toes and let her hips rub against it. "I could never say no to it."

He closed his eyes and she saw his tongue dart out to wet his lips.

She pushed her mouth up close to his. "Until now," she whispered, then used the hands on his chest to push hard.

He stumbled back, wide-eyed and startled.

She smiled and moved away toward her room. "Why don't you suck on that for the rest of your life?" she threw over her shoulder. "And lock the door when you leave."

She'd only got as far as opening the bedroom door when...

Previous Chapter

Chapter Eight

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so HAPPY she told him on he's douchebaggery, go chloe!

Anonymous said...

whoa, good move there Chl-Lois. :)

AV said...

I was reading this at work, and when he came in to the room and she took off, I had too put it down and walk away to keep the tears from spilling over. Crying would be a bit hard to explain to everyone ;-)