Almost Lovers (Chapter Twenty-Three)

Banner by Summerstar882

PREVIOUS CHAPTER

Chapter 23

Winning was great. It really was. So why wasn’t she celebrating? Was she selfish, begrudging Martha her victory, just because she felt so… cheated? And was cheated even the word for it? Lana had confirmed every one of her suspicions. Hadn’t Lois somehow won tonight, too?

They’d all moved into the house by now, popped the champagne, listened to Martha’s speeches about the town, the mall that was surely not going to happen now, the future…

And everyone was so happy. Hell, even Lana was celebrating, sort of silently in the corner, wearing oversized sunglasses and a hat. But she was smiling. Maybe, if she were declared alive again, she’d be partying like the rest. Maybe that was what was bothering Lois.

Maybe we should just let this happen.

Clark had said it, Martha had supported it, and it seemed to be a resounding sentiment among the others. Victor had been clearly in favor of Lex being committed for a week now. Oliver was a fast convert as well. As for Lana controlling his estate and company, neither seemed to care much about that. 

If Lois examined herself closely, neither did she. She had no stake in Luthorcorp or Luthor money. So why couldn’t she drop this?

“Isn’t it amazing?” Linda sighed, clutching her chest. “Councilwoman Kent. I love the sound of that. You know what sounds even better? Mayor Kent!” She shivered. “Doesn’t it just give you goosebumps?”

“It sounds great,” Lois said, trying her best to sound enthusiastic. “But… Linda, I can’t shake this feeling that… something’s missing.”

Linda looked around. “I know. Not nearly enough cheesecake for this crowd. I’m hoping they taper off soon. I’ve been hoarding one just for later. I hope Bart doesn’t sniff it out or…”

“Not that,” Lois hissed. “It’s Lana. Everyone seems to think this should just… happen.”

Linda sighed and pulled her to a corner. “I know. Oliver filled me in. And it’s all wrong.”

“Thank you,” Lois breathed. “I was starting to think I was crazy.” She should have known Linda, of all people, would back her up. Linda was never a Lana fan, after all.

“Lex in some cushy asylum,” Linda sneered. “He should be in jail after what he did to Lucy. But I’ll take it over him running free,” she finished darkly.

Lois face fell. Of course. Linda was even less of a Lex fan. Hell, she wasn’t a Lex fan, herself, after all she knew of him. Why was this still bothering her?

Bart sidled up to her as Linda moved off. “Why so glum, Babydoll?”

“I don’t even know,” she sighed. She really didn’t. Why couldn’t she shake this?

“In a way, I feel like we’ve all won tonight. Though my money’s still on Linda winning the most. What did she say, by the way?”

Lois rolled her eyes. “This for your betting book?”

“Pfft! I won’t even dignify that with a response. But, just so I know, did she…”

“Can you believe it?” Martha moved to her, still grinning like mad.

“I can,” Lois said. She had to stop moping. She was as bad as Clark! Was there even anything to mope over? “Very easily,” she added. “Congratulations.”

“Apparently, there’s never been such a turn-out. Even people who rarely vote felt very passionately about this one.”

Clark moved into view. “Well, they might have been made aware of the issues. A few posters and brochures made it to the far reaches somehow this afternoon.”

“That’s my boy.” His mother moved to him, kissing his cheek.

“What’s she kissing him for?” Bart grumbled. “It was my idea.”

“Oh, Bart.” Martha moved to him as well.

Lois zeroed in on Clark, gripping his hand and pulling him away without a word. No one seemed to understand her tonight. Hell, she barely understood herself. But maybe he might.

“What are you…”

She just tugged him after her, moving up the stairs. “We need to talk.”

“Yes. I think we do. I’m surprised you’re actually admitting it.”

She stilled at the top of the stairs, then turned to him. “Admitting what?”

“That this was out of line.”

“You can’t be serious. You know what was happening. I had to find out…”

“Not that part. I…” He sighed. “Damn it, Lois, I actually get it. Lana’s behavior was suspicious and anyone would look into it. But why wouldn’t you tell me?”

“Because Lana is your ex and…”

“Exactly. I might have had some kind of insight into why she was doing what she was doing and…”

“No. You would have had excuses for her and nothing would have ever been confronted,” she hissed, moving to his room. “Just listen for a…”

“Just a sec!” she heard as she turned the door knob.

She sighed and leaned against the wall. “Great!” 

“I wouldn’t have made excuses," Clark said, "if I knew…”

“Yes. You would have,” she hissed. “It’s the same thing you did the first time she came back from the dead and that’s just what you’re doing now. But can we not argue this in a hallway?”

His eyes narrowed. “That’s pretty convenient after dropping something like that on me. I thought you just agreed to let this happen. Now you suddenly…”

The door opened and Diana appeared, wearing glasses and a pants suit, rubbing her neck. “Sorry. Just changing out of my gear. I usually leave it on under, but sometimes it’s nice to let things breathe.”

“That’s fine,” Lois cut in. “We just needed somewhere private to talk.”

“Talk, huh?” She chuckled and stepped aside. “Mind if I leave it in there, Clark? It’s the only room with a working lock and…”

“It’s fine. Not even my room anymore,” Clark said abruptly, hustling Lois in ahead him.

Diana chuckled. “Lovers tryst?”

“Something like that,” Lois mumbled, glaring at Clark. 

“Looks more like a lover’s spat. Either way, Bart owes me, I guess,” Diana said as she closed the door with a wink. “Play nice.”

Lois looked around at the monitors and equipment spread all over, along with a gym bag she suspected was Diana’s. “Victor sure works quickly.”

“And secretively,” Clark added. “Every single one of you goes on and on about me not telling you what I was into, but look at this!”

Lois shrugged. “I’d play it the same way every time. Considering your selective vision concerning Lana…”

“Selective vision?”

“I read all about it. You even handed it right to me. I had to read between the lines of all the if only I’d come back quicker. If only I’d made sure you knew how I felt…

“Are you mocking me?”

“No. I’m quoting you. Almost verbatim. And not once did you mention regretting taking Lana’s side in something that was… downright dishonest!”

“It could have been for the best.”

“But it wasn’t the truth!”

“I’m kind of amazed you can say that without a hint of irony,” he said lowly. “All you know is what you read. Just the fact that you had to read it at all when you could have known it for yourself…”

She threw up her hands. “Yes. Nothing I say has merit because I made a mistake. Do you think I don’t regret it? Taking the coward’s way out? Using Grady when I could have worked through my issues like a normal person? Because I do, Clark,” she said hotly. “I regret it every time I have to look at a picture to know what color my father’s eyes were! But I have decided to live with this!”

His eyes softened. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it like that. I just meant… Lois, you don’t have a first-hand account on this. Lana is… I mean, she may seem strange if you don’t know her well. But she’s not a bad person. And even you agreed that Lex isn’t doing well under his own care.”

“Yes, but…”

“Listen, I can’t justify what she did to Lex that first time. But this time… Well, it’s not like she’s setting him up or framing him. Maybe she’s done things in the wrong way.” He moved closer to her. “Maybe it’s not how you or I would go about it. But it might be for the best. And honestly, this time.”

She shook her head. “But there’s something we’re missing. I feel like there’s more here. I feel it in… in the way she changes when she talks to you. Her entire demeanor just… falls into this whispering, lost girl and you just buy right into it!”

“I see what this is.” He drew back. “You think I have feelings for her!”

“No. I actually don’t.”

“How many ways do I have to…”

“I don’t, Clark,” she cut in. “But everything you do is tied up in guilt. I know that by now. So nothing Lana does is ever wrong because…”

“I didn’t say she wasn’t wrong.”

“… because her parents died as a result of you landing here,” she finished. They stared at each other a moment, the words hanging between them. He couldn’t deny them and she wouldn’t take them back.

“Did you or did you not say that Lex needs to be put away?” he finally asked.

“Yes. But it’s still not adding up.”

“Of course it isn’t. I don’t agree with everything she’s doing. Her taking his company… I don’t feel right about that either.” He gripped her arms, rubbing lightly. “I’ll even talk to her about that. We can help her find another way, the both of us.”

She started to pull away, but he held tight.

“Lois, if Lex is put away, then Lana can live her life openly and… and honestly. And that can be a good thing. I’ve known her most of my life and I want to see her happy again. And maybe that is a little tied up in guilt. But tell me you wouldn’t want the same thing in my shoes. Just to see someone you may have wronged, whether you meant to or not, have a happy life.”

She wanted to point out, again, that there was more to it. But she’d said that so many times, she felt like a broken record. Maybe this was all there was to it. Her gut had been wrong before… well, not wrong exactly, but slightly off. “Maybe it’s just the… money thing that bothers me,” she conceded. 

“Exactly. And we can help her find a better way.”

She nodded. “I’m just tired.”

He pulled her in, rubbing at her back. “Maybe you should get some sleep. I shouldn’t have stopped by last night.”

She breathed him in, relaxing a little. “I wouldn’t go that far.”

He chuckled and pulled away slightly. “I can fly you home if you…”

“No, don’t do that,” she sighed. “That’ll ruin your little meet and greet.” She smiled. “I saw Jones down there, after all. New member?”

“I’m hoping. Might be nice to have another alien around.”

“Anyway, I’m fine to drive. You fly me and Bart takes my car back and he changes all my presets away from news and… It’s just a mess.”

He leaned in, his lips lingering briefly on her forehead. “It’s been a long week,” he murmured. “Maybe we can wait on the official… coming out.”

She chuckled. “Sure. Your mom’s got enough to process tonight. I’ll stay a little longer, eat something before the drive.” She leaned up, standing on her toes to meet his lips. Maybe everything about him was a little tied up with guilt, but she supposed that was better than him running through life like a callous jerk. He wasn’t a bad guy, that Clark Kent.

They rejoined the party… or Clark did. She mostly stayed in her corner, picking at a skewer of chicken. He seemed to know everyone here. She supposed she did, too… once. She wondered what it would have been like, being here as Chloe Sullivan, getting congratulated on her big city life and the big city job, like Clark was now, by people who knew her most of her life. But no. She mostly stayed out of the way, knowing that Chloe Sullivan had died.

She spotted Lana, in another corner of the dining room. She couldn’t see her eyes behind the sunglasses, but she wondered if they were a little like hers, trying not to hunger for something they knew they couldn’t have. Chloe Sullivan’s death may have been a little more necessary than Lana Lang’s, but that didn’t mean they couldn’t have similar regrets.

She made her way to Lana, figuring now was as good a time as any to start helping Lana live that honest, happy life Clark seemed to think was waiting for her.

“So I’m not really good at apologizing for things,” she began, trying to smile even as Lana stiffened at her approach, “especially ones I thought needed to be done… but I maybe could have done them better… or somewhere warmer.”

Lana looked like she might smile. “Sometimes I wonder how I took so long to catch on. Clark used to hang out in that loft in the dead of winter, barely ever wore a coat most times.”

Lois did smile. “I took care of that. Bought him a grown-up coat and all.”

“I saw at Christmas. Thought it was a real step up from that silly, light jacket he always wore.”

“I think Martha donated that thing.”

“I hope she donated it to a fire place,” Lana said, taking a long sip of wine. “I’m sorry, too. I guess I just… I got used to doing things in secret. I know how it looks. Maybe I would have spied on me, too.”

Lois sighed. “I kept waiting for you to be honest.”

“I know.”

“I asked you questions and thought, ‘if she answers this, then I’ll stop.’ But you didn’t and…”

“I should have known I couldn’t keep anything from you for long.” She turned to Lois. “So can we end this now? Can we just… try to… I don’t know. Maybe we can start over when I come back to life and all.”

Lois considered that. She’d kind of started fresh with Clark. That seemed to be going well. “I guess we can try.” No guarantees, though… God! She felt guilty even thinking that. Why couldn’t she let this go?

Lana leaned heavily against the hutch, looking rather pale and exhausted. Maybe she had put her through the ringer today. “Tired?”

“Like you wouldn’t believe,” Lana yawned. “I took three busses to get here and I feel like I never get any sleep, jumping at every noise and…” She stopped, chuckling. “I guess you know where I’m staying by now.”

“I do.” It made Lois feel worse. “The Port Inn? Really?”

“It’s all I could afford.”

“Maybe…” God, she wanted to kick herself for starting to say it, but once she started she knew it was the only thing to do. “Maybe you could stay with…” Martha. Say Martha. Martha would hardly mind if Lana asked. “With me,” she finally finished. She had to. It was the only way to make up for everything, make an honest, fresh start.

Lana’s eyes were wide and surprised. Lois could see that even through the glasses. “Well, I was thinking of asking Martha, but…”

“Oh, good. Then yes. That’s probably better.” Off the hook.

“But your place is closer to Belle Reve.”

And back on. “Good, then,” Lois said determinedly. “But… Are you really still going to work there?”

“Well, I can still cash checks as Lorna Leery and… Well, it’s my only incoming pay check. Besides, I do need to see it through. Make sure things with Lex… finish and all that.”

Don’t remind me. Why couldn’t she let this go?

“Long as you behave,” she tried, keeping her voice light. “You know, with my computers.”

“What?”

It seemed silly to being it up now. Whatever Lana deleted, she’d retrieved. “You know, no self-searching and definitely no deleting.”

“But I didn’t…”

“It’s no big deal, but you kind of did a search for your alias and deleted a few of my transcribed documents. So be careful.”

“But I only checked my email,” Lana gasped. 

Lois stared at her, trying not to be annoyed, but… No, she didn’t. She hadn’t even gone on the internet. Why would she lie about this? Self-searching wasn’t exactly a crime. 

“I'm so awful with computers,” Lana finally said on a long sigh. “You were always the computer wiz. Did I accidentally delete something?"

“Oh, nothing important,” Lois said, forcing a smile. “Don’t even worry about it.” Just two files that happened to contain "leery." Why would she deny it? What was there to hide? Something told Lois to play it cool. That faulty gut of hers, maybe. Still, she followed it. “You just be careful, Missy!” She laughed. “Anyway, this could be fun. We can reminisce… or you can. I can mostly listen. You have all the info.” She tapped her head. “It’s still kind of empty.”

“I know.” Lana’s glasses had slipped down. Her eyes looked strangely damp.

Lois suddenly felt horribly guilty again. There was something so… broken inside Lana at times. Maybe she just couldn’t stop lying, having got so used to it. “Anyway, Clark and I… We’ll help you rebuild. We might not agree with how you did this. But… it can be for the best if we do this the right way.” She wondered about mentioning how uncomfortable Clark felt about Lana taking over Lex’s estate. Maybe Lana would understand.

“I didn’t want it to be this way. Personally,” Lana whispered, “I saw no reason not to let him live out the remainder of his days safely in his family home.”

Something clicked at those words. “You saw…”

“But Doctor Carson insisted it should be this way. I was just… going along, seeing what happened.”

“I see.” But she didn’t. Lois didn’t see. In fact, she’d heard those exact words before, but not from Lana. She hadn’t told anyone about the bug in Doctor Carson’s car, hadn’t thought it gave her anything worth hearing… until now. 

Damn it, Lana! You almost had me. She couldn’t let this go and she knew why now. Lana just wouldn’t tell the truth. “So Doctor Carson’s pushing for commitment?”

“Yes.”

No. You are. You were that day. Why won’t you just say it?

And that was exactly why she couldn’t let this go. Because Lana might tell some version of the truth, but it was always heavily shaded in her favor. How could she get the whole truth? 

She spotted Jones through the people leaving and wondered about him. He could surely pick Lana’s brain, being a mind reader. But Lois didn’t know him well enough to ask. And… Damn it, she needed more proof than that! She wanted to hear the truth from Lana’s mouth, wanted that satisfaction, after all this suspicion and subterfuge, the whole story. But how…

She looked to the ceiling, thinking of that gym bag in left in Clark’s… No. She couldn’t say she hadn’t thought of it, from time to time. But that would be stealing. 

But would it? Just taking it for a bit?

And, considering how much everyone seemed to want to “let this happen,” she doubted anyone would be on board, even Diana.

“I guess it’s just as well about Lex,” she said, placing her barely-touched plate on the dining room table and picking up a napkin, trying to look as casual as she could on the verge of… something. “God, I’m tired.”

Lana yawned. “Same.”

Lois turned to her with a smile. “Why don’t I give you a lift back to town? We can grab your stuff and you can get a good night’s sleep at my place. I’ve only got the one bedroom, but the couch folds out. And it’s a nice and quiet neighborhood. I can’t stand the thought of you staying one more night in that fleabag motel.”

“Same here.” Lana sighed. “Sure. As soon as I say goodbye to…”

“Oh, we’ll never get out of here if we start with goodbyes,” she cut in quickly, linking her arm through Lana’s and moving through the crowd to the door. “Besides, we can call everyone tomorrow, tell them you’re staying with me for now.” She pulled her car keys from her pocket. “Go on. Recline the seat. I’ll be out in two seconds. We need to beat the mass exodus down the drive.”

Lana shrugged and nodded. “Okay. There might be a line to the main road.”

“Exactly. You start it up and I’ll join you in a sec. Just need to get something.” She shooed Lana out the door and quickly moved to the stairs. 

It wasn’t stealing. Not really. Just borrowing. She repeated that to herself as she moved past Diana, holding her purse close. She repeated it again as Clark waylaid her when she was nearly at the door.

He took her hands. “Listen, I know you’re tired, but if you wanted to stay for the meeting… I mean, you’re welcome to if…”

“No,” she said quickly, then smiled, trying to look very casual as she took one hand away to adjust her purse. Didn’t want the man with x-ray vision looking too closely. “You were right before,” she sighed. “I really haven’t slept much lately. I’m just going straight back to the city.” She carefully didn’t say “home.” That wouldn’t be true, after all. 

He peered closely at her. “Are you okay?”

She couldn’t tell him. He wouldn’t agree. He’d explain it away. She had to do this on her own. “I’m good. I just want to beat the traffic and…”

“I saw you talking to Lana. I know it probably wasn’t easy…”

“It’s fine. Me and Lana will be just fine.” I’m just going to tie her up a little and then…

“Isn’t this cozy?” Pammie appeared beside Clark, who started to let go of Lois’ hand. “No, no.” Pammie gripped their hands, keeping them together. “None of that now. Secret’s out.” She leaned to Lois, slurring just a little. “You sneaky girl. You never even called me.”

“I’ve just been…”

Pammie turned to Clark. “By the way, congratulations on your exposĂ©. Riveting stuff. I knew Mikey was smart not to accept that invitation. And I probably should apologize,” she went on, “about the whole Tom Hart thing, but it was a snooze-you-lose kinda thing.” She smiled. “Glad you woke up.”

Lois nudged her. “Have you eaten?”

Pammie seemed to think hard. “Does wine count?”

Lois caught Mike Sharp’s eye. “I think this one needs some food.” She turned to Clark. “And I need to get on the road.”

“Yeah. Of course.” Clark finally let go of her hand as Mike led a mildly protesting Pammie away. 

“I’ll see you.” 

By the time she finally got in her car, Lana was fast asleep with the heat blasting. She stared at her, just a moment, before she pulled into the line moving down the driveway. She looked so innocent… too innocent. 

She slammed unnecessarily hard on the brakes as she stopped behind one of the many pickup trucks, just short of the small road leading to the freeway. Lana shot up.

“Huh?”

“Oh, sorry. Kind of a line-up here.” She didn’t want Lana sleeping like an innocent babe. She wanted a worthy adversary. And she wanted answers. She dug in her purse, trying to find that pen… the one that was just too thick to be a pen. “It’ll be much clearer on the freeway,” she said as she slipped it into her breast pocket. “So… we’ll just swing by The Port Inn and grab your stuff.”

“Thanks again,” Lana breathed, sitting up and rubbing her eyes. “It might be nice to sleep all the way through a night.”

Damn it! She refused to feel guilty. If Lana was sleeping in a horribly unsafe dive, it wasn’t her fault. Hell, she was even remedying that… among other things.

“Well, even if you don’t,” she answered lightly, “I have plenty of good coffee for the morning. I don’t skimp.”

Lana chuckled. “No. You never did. You were always a connoisseur. I was almost flattered you frequented The Talon over The Beanery.”

“Beanery?”

“It was a rival coffee shop. It’s gained some ground with how Lex let things go. Not for long, though. You know, I think that’s one of the main draws, putting The Talon back on top again when… Well, if…”

“No, I get it.” Of course, Clark didn’t think it was such a good idea, Lana taking Lex’s assets. She wasn’t sure if he included the Talon under “bad idea.” Maybe he did. But Lana didn’t need to know that just now. “Good to start with a little healthy competition,” she finished. Lana needed to be complacent just now. Just a little longer…

“And I meant it about helping Martha. I can host fundraisers… galas, even. I want to put Smallville on the map as… I don’t know… America’s ideal small town.” Lana sighed. “I once read these books where this guy was searching for the most idyllic small town. I think Smallville could be that town.”

“Really?” She had to keep her talking, keep her happy. So she listened as Lana droned on, first about a gala called “Keeping Smallville Small,” then expanded farmer’s markets with rides and booths, then a harvest festival with a carnival rides.

And it all sounded just peachy. Lois hated to think that her determination to finally get some truth out of Lana negated all this hooplah. But… truth!

“… and you can have the exclusive,” she vaguely heard Lana say.

“Huh?”

“Well, I’ll have to give an interview. Who better than you and Clark?”

Lois wasn’t sure either of them would want the exclusive by the time this was over. She also rather doubted Lana would want to give it to them. “Should I get off here?” She wasn’t going to Midtown, after all. They were just gathering Lana’s things first and then… Could she wait that long?

“Yes. Port Inn’s just down High Street.”

“Great.” By the time they pulled into the parking lot in front of the rather decrepit Port Inn, she had decided. Here. It would be here. If Clark got some inkling of what she was about to do, she didn’t want to make it too easy for him to bound in and stop it... again. She’d do this right, and quickly.

She followed Lana in amid more excited babble about Smallville’s future and some apologies about the state of the place. She barely saw it. She only looked at the door and its three locks. She used all three of them.

“There’s no need for that,” Lana said as she opened her suitcase. “This won’t take long. I have barely anything here. Most of my stuff’s in storage in Florida. I’ll have to pay that soon or get it out. They’ll auction it off if I don’t…” Lana trailed off when she finally turned to Lois. Her eyes widened as Lois pulled out the rope.

“What are you…”

There was no easy way to do this. Lois pounced.

******************

“You don’t have to do all this,” Clark tried.

“All this? There’s not much to it,” Martha said, transferring the uneaten food to smaller platters. “Need to get rid of this food. So you remind everyone to eat up during your little pow-wow. Well, not Bart.” Martha chuckled. 

“No. You never have to remind him. I’ll put some coffee on. This won’t take long. Oliver just thought it would be a good idea to check in, since we’re all together with no crisis afoot.”

“Imagine that.” His mother laughed. “Yes, you all definitely need to establish some kind of rapport. After you nearly got yourself killed.”

He stilled in the middle of spooning out some grounds. “Uh…”

“That’s right. I guess you all forgot to get your story straight. I’ve heard varying accounts, probably not the whole thing. But they all seemed to agree that the world nearly ended and you were beaten bloody.”

“It’s not as bad as…”

She turned to him. “Yes, it is. It’s horrible. So I understand why you didn’t want me to know. But let’s get one thing straight. I’ve lived with you all these years and I am stronger than you know. I’m not saying you need to tell me every detail of your life. You are a grown man. But I deserve some warning when you’re putting yourself at risk.” She sighed. “Even saying that, I know your job is… risky in itself. But it’s rare that someone can hurt you. And I…” She threw up her hands. “If someone can hurt you and does hurt you, then I need to know about it!”

“That’s what Lois said,” he muttered, staring at the coffee pot.

“Well, she was right! I hope this isn’t how you’re going to go about your entire relationship. A girlfriend needs to know these things almost as much as a mother does.”

He looked up.

Martha groaned. “Clark, of course I know. And all your friends know. You aren’t as good at keeping secrets as you think.”

“Well, we weren’t keeping a secret. We were just… seeing where it goes before telling everyone. Mostly Linda.”

“Oh, Linda knows. She was just too busy to deal with it. She wanted to take you both aside for a talking to, but I guess Lois left with Lana too soon.”

“With Lana?”

“She gave her a lift back to the city.”

“She didn’t tell me…”

“Oh, let it be, Clark. The two of them have a lot to work out and they’re more likely to do it without you barging in. They’ll be fine.”

*******************

Lois pushed a hunk of hair out of her eyes and backed away from her handiwork. It was more than a little damp. It wasn’t just that Lana wasn’t cooperating, she’d had to coax and cajole that damned rope into even going around Lana. She suspected it didn’t easily obey people that weren’t Diana. Maybe it was semi sentient, which she would find fascinating if it wasn't getting in the way. She’d ended up improvising with several pairs of stockings and a belt as well.

“You’re insane. Who does this? I’ll…”

“Oh, stop whining,” she groaned. Lana had been loudly protesting for some time. She’d have gagged her, but that would have defeated the purpose. Anyway, this neighborhood was loud enough after dark, which was probably one of the advantages of doing this here.

“Stop whining? You tied me up!” Lana struggled against her bonds. 

“It’s only for a few minutes,” she said moving around to the bed to take a seat facing Lana. “This’ll all be over once you answer a few questions.”

“Does Clark know you’re doing this?” Lana growled. “Of course not. He wouldn’t let you. You’ve gone crazy just like Lex! I wish I’d never…” She stopped gasping. “I wish I’d never… No. No, I meant I wish I’d never…”

“Just keep talking, Lana,” Lois said, surreptitiously checking her pen was still lit. “This’ll be over much quicker if you do.”

“What’s going on? Why are you doing this?”

“Why don’t I ask the questions? Starting with your obvious plan to get Lex committed. Doctor Carson wasn’t pushing for that and you know it.” Damn the consequences, she was having a good time watching Lana sputter.

“Of course he wasn’t! He’s an idiot! I probably couldn’t have gotten him on my payroll if I had the money!” Lana shook her head furiously. “No. I mean… I was paying Grady… No!" Her eyes went wide. "Why can’t I…”

“Lie?” Lois smiled. “You just can’t right now. So you might as well start telling the truth. So you were paying Grady. Interesting. Care to elaborate?” There was more to this than she thought.

“What did you do to me? Did you drug me? I knew you were being too nice. I just…”

“Lana, just stop lying. That’s all I want,” she said tiredly. “Why do you refuse to tell the truth?”

“Because he’ll hate me. Everyone will.”

“Clark?” Lois shook her head. “I doubt it. He’ll make excuses for you like he always…”

“Not when he knows everything,” Lana said dully. “I know he’ll never be with me, but I don’t want him to hate me. And he will. He could have died. And it would have been all my fault.”

Lois stared at her. “You’re going to have be a little clearer.”

“So you can keep me tied up forever? That’s what you’ll do when you know.”

“No, I won’t,” Lois sighed. “I’ll let you go when you tell me the truth. All of it, this time.”

Lana glared at her. “I don’t believe you. You hate me.”

“I actually don’t,” Lois said, frustrated now. 

“You will.”

“But I do hate lies,” she went on. “And you’re just full of them. Grady, Lana. Tell me about him. Tell me what you think you did to Clark.”

“I didn’t do it. But it was my fault. She made it sound so beautiful. I thought it would be. I thought, if I could control it, do it right, then he’d thank me later. He wouldn’t have to save the world alone. And it would all be because of me.” She shook herself. “Make this stop,” she pleaded, her eyes filling. “I don’t want to tell you. Why…”

“Lana,” Lois started gently, leaning forward, “we’re not leaving until you tell me everything.”

“Everything?” Lana repeated on a sob.

Lois nodded. There was more to this. Maybe even more than she wanted to know. But she was sick of avoiding hard truths. “You tell me everything and we can both move on.”

Lana squeezed her eyes shut. “It started that summer,” she said, her voice shaking. “That summer I came back. I came back for him. But Clark… he wouldn’t come with me…”

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

The next chapter will be presented in Lana-Vision. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Noooo... I need more!!! I've been Reading this fic for about 2 years now, just wating for thr gran finale

Unknown said...

Holding out for this!! Need closure!!

April said...

@Anon and Kalin: There's more coming before the weekend. I promise. :)