Almost Lovers (Chapter Twenty-Seven)

Banner by Summerstar882


PREVIOUS CHAPTER

I feel like I want to post a disclaimer before this chapter... Well, not huge. Just two words: Trust me. 

We're hurtling to the finish now and I want you all to know that this will end the right way and I truly hope all of you will feel satisfied by the end even if some events might seem frustrating now. 

Anyhow, here we go.


Chapter 27

“What’s going on?” Oliver wanted to know. 

“We’re going down,” Clark whispered.

“You know, Supes, I could also use you over here with the laser eyes,” Diana grunted. “I just can’t seem to think of a quiet way to get through this door.”

“I’m heading to you,” Jones said. “East Hill?”

“Way to step it up, New Guy,” Diana said with a laugh. 

“We’ll at least be able to see what’s on the other side,” Jones said.

“What if it’s lead?” Diana asked.

“I don’t have any lead-based issues.”

“Okay, don’t brag.” Bart patted Clark’s shoulder. “Boyscout’s in a sensitive place.”

“Are we ever going to drop that codename?” Clark hissed.

Bart shrugged. “Probably not.”

“No, it really suits you,” Oliver seemed to agree.

“Two guards just inside. Do you trust me?” Clark heard Jones say.

“Why?” Diana asked, sounding wary. “Oh, my God!”

“What’s going on with you two?” Clark whispered loudly.

“Wait and see,” Diana whispered with a laugh. “Headsets coming off!”

“But…” There was a loud rapping noise, then nothing. Clark tried to shake it off, concentrating on the downward progress. They weren’t amateurs. They had to know what they were doing.

They might even know more than he did at the moment. He had no way of knowing what this… bathroom would land on as there was nothing but lead when he tried to look through the shaft around them. They must be deep down.

Bart snapped at his mask. “Okay. Go time. I say we both speed right out and just clobber everyone we see that’s, you know, not Lois.”

“Or Lana.”

“Yeah, yeah. Her, too.”

It seemed like as good a plan as any until they stopped in front of a grated door… with nothing beyond it but walls.

Bart pushed it open. “Aw! That’s no fun.”

Clark stepped out and looked to either side. Nothing but a long hallway, barely lit with hanging lights and dark on either end.

“Which way you thinking, Big Guy?”

Clark looked down one side, trying to see ahead when his hearing picked something up behind him. “Footsteps,” he whispered, turning that way, looking ahead. “It’s Lex and two guards and… They’ve got Diana.” He shook his head, staring at the men flanking Diana. Sure, they were big, but not much bigger than her. How could she possibly be captured?

When they came into direct view, he had an inkling how. She let them. 

The guards started on seeing them. “There’s more of them,” one yelled, rushing at Clark before Diana rushed in front of him, grabbing him by the collar.

“Manhunter, did you want to work your magic here?” She grabbed the other as he ran at her. “I just don’t trust myself.” She shook the one in her right hand. “This one grabbed my ass and I’m not happy.”

Clark let out a startled laugh, realizing what he was seeing as Lex rushed forward, whispering in either man’s ear. He nodded atLex. “Nice costume change.”

Diana let the men slump to the ground and brushed herself off. “We figured it was the best way to get in quietly. Have the boss bring in the intruder.” She stared at Jones, still essentially wearing Lex. “You going to keep that on or….”

“Oh, I don’t think so.” Lex’s face melted into a brief flash of green before forming into the face Jones usually wore. “That wouldn’t look right if I came across the man himself.” Then he stared at one of the guards. “But on second thought…” His face and even his clothes, changed again. He nodded at the guards, one of which he looked exactly like. “I did a little digging in their minds. There’s a chamber at the end of this hall. I think that’s where we’ll find everyone.”

“Who’s everyone?” Bart wanted to know.

“Luthor, two brunettes, that drunk, and the old guy is all I’ve got.” He shrugged. “They’re not very bright. And there’s probably some more of them.” He gestured to the guards again.

“Two brunettes is enough,” Clark said.

“Yeah, I’d like to be in on this, too,” Oliver huffed. “I have no idea what’s happening. Would you tell them to put their headsets back on and…”

“Don’t worry about it.” Clark looked at the others. “We’ve got this.”

“Oh, well. Don’t mind me, then,” Oliver grumbled.

Clark gestured them in. “Okay, Flash. You speed ahead and disarm every guard you see. Manhunter, you’re right on his tail to neutralize the guards themselves. In the interest of saving time, knock them out if you have to. But no casualties, obviously. Flash, you go right to Lana and pull her to safety. She’s light enough.”

Bart scoffed. “You know, it’s not like I’m a weakling!”

“Fine. But do you have this?”

Bart and Jones nodded and Clark turned to Diana. 

“From what Manhunter got, Lex has at least two other prisoners. You concentrate on them and pick up any slack.”

Diana nodded. “And you?”

“I’ve got Lois.”

“What about Lex?”

“I’m not sure I care at the moment.” He stepped back. “He’s anybody’s.”

“No casualty there?” Diana asked with a smirk.

“No,” Clark said through gritted teeth. “Oliver?”

“Oh, I’m sorry. Do I get to be in the gang now?”

“Call Smallville Medical Center and the police. We need emergency service and officers at Luthor Mansion.”

“On it,” he sighed. 

Clark backed up and stared at the others in all their glory. He wasn’t even scared. Nothing about this could scare him. Because look at them! 

Diana, so tall and imposing in red, white and blue and flashes of gold. Bart all in red with yellow lightning bolts. It seemed like it should look silly, but he wore it well. And John… Well, he just looked like a large red-haired man, but he was still formidable.

As they rushed down the long hallway, one by one, he wasn’t scared at all.

Then he saw it. And he found that something here could scare him --- the sight of Lois, strapped to a table and writhing, surrounded by blue light. It was downright terrifying. Almost paralyzing.

“No!”

But not quite. He rushed forward, seeing nothing but her, not sure what was being done to her, only knowing it had to stop!

He pushed at one the electrical columns on his way to her, ripping the gag from her mouth, the straps from her hands. “Lois!”

She only blinked up at him. 

He whirled on the old man at the controls. He looked familiar, somehow, but Clark didn’t have time to wonder why. He had more pressing issues at the moment. He advanced on him. “What did you do to her?”

“No! Let him go!” he heard behind him. 

He turned to Lois, sitting up now, tugging at her leg straps. 

“It was a light show! That’s all. Nothing happened! He didn’t even activate the… damn these things!”

He rushed to her and ripped the straps from her legs before running his hands over her face. “You’re okay?”

“I’m fine. We just put on a little show to kill time,” she hissed, “but tone down the touching. If anyone sees, they’ll think I’m cheating on you with… you.”

“Yes.” He stepped back, clearing his throat. “Yes, Miss Lane. It’s good to see you weren’t hurt,” he said loudly, lifting her off the table.

“Well, you could have been,” she whispered, staying close. “There’s a load of meteor rock powering this machine. You could have been exposed if he really used it, so no more smashing the merchandise. Okay, so where’s Lana?” She looked around as the old man ran past her to… 

Clark shook his head. “Is that Kevin Grady?”

“Yeah. He looks awful. I know. Lex has been letting him drink himself into complacence. That’s his father, by the way.”

“I thought he was in prison.”

“He must have got out and gone straight into Lex’s little work-release here.” She sighed as the man tried to embrace Kevin only to be pushed away.

“Don’t touch me,” Kevin growled.

“Kevin, I thought…” 

“What? Because I don’t want you dead? We’re not pals, you know.” Grady turned to Diana, who was breaking his chains. “Why don’t you just kill me?” Grady moaned at her. “I’ll never have the guts.”

“Sorry, Guy.” She pulled him up. “No casualties. You okay, though?”

Lois leaned into Clark. “I think he needs an actual psychiatrist. It’s really complicated. I’ll explain it all better after a hot bath.”

“Good,” Diana called out. “Because you’re going to have to explain a few things to me.” She turned to Lois and her face softened just slightly. “Just not yet.”

“There’s more to it.” She turned to Clark. “I had to and I’m glad I did.”

“I’m glad you did, too.” He resisted touching her. “Or we might not have found you.”

“But my instincts were right! I… I got it all recorded and…”

“I know. That’s how we started looking,” Diana called out. “Or I’d be mad at you… or madder. I directed the police to the east hill door. Lana’s fine, by the way, The Flash handed her off to the paramedics up at the main house.”

Clark looked Lois over. “Maybe we should hand you off to the paramedics.”

“I’m fine,” Lois scoffed. “I only got chloroformed a little. Not a scratch on me.” She looked past Clark. “You’re going to have to hand him off to someone, though.”

Clark turned his attention to the corner, where Lex was pointing a gun between Bart and John, his familiar face on now, advancing on him.

“Stay back or I’ll…”

“You might as well know that’s not going to do any good on any of us,” Jones said calmly.

“Fascinating,” Lex breathed. “How about this?” He put the gun to his own head. “I heard someone say ‘no casualties.’ Does this one matter?”

“Yes, it does.” Clark said, trying to keep his voice calm. “It’s over Lex. And even if you pull that trigger, one of us can get to you before it leaves a mark,” Clark lied. Bart had the best chance, but Clark wasn’t even sure he could stop it. But Lex didn’t need to know that.

Lex shook, his hand shaking with him. “You say that like it’s a good thing. It’s unnatural. Power like that should be contained, controlled by better minds than yours.”

“Ones like yours?” Bart sneered.

“Maybe,” Lex said, his voice quivering, “if I were the man I was. Not this empty shell!”

Lois shook her head slowly, moving away from Clark and toward. “Lex, I know something about what you’ve been through,” she said sadly. “I even know something about the man you were. And both of those men had the same problem. They refused to be happy with the life they had.”

He laughed bitterly, spittle flying from his mouth. “You say that like it’s a bad thing. Complacency is like… death. Every man should strive to be better.”

“Not if they always end up worse.” She moved even closer, moving to John and Bart, brushing their shoulders as she did. They stayed still. So did Clark. As much as he wanted to protect her, he trusted her instincts more… or he was starting to. “How much of your life are you going to waste like this?”

“Not much more,” he said through clenched teeth, pressing the gun harder against his temple.

“So you’d rather die?”

“Maybe.”

“You don’t sound very sure.” She suddenly squeezed John’s shoulder. “Do you think he’s sure?”

“No, I don’t,” Jones said.

Lois lifted a hand to Lex. “He should know. He can see every thought in your head.”

“I can,” Jones said gently, “And you don’t want to do this.”

Lex blinked hard, pulling the gun down to his side. “I don’t want to do this.”

“You want to wait quietly,” Jones went on, “until someone takes you away. Somewhere safe. Somewhere you can get help.”

Lex nodded dumbly and sank to the floor. Jones and Bart were on him in the next second.

Lois turned back to Clark with a sigh, her face crumpling. “Well, I wanted to try.”

Clark rushed to her. “You scared me!”

“I’ve been where he is,” she said, her voice hitching slightly as he drew her in. “I thought if I could just get through to him first…”

“Maybe you did.”

“No, I didn’t,” she sniffled into his chest. “Your mind-bending friend did.”

He stroked her hair. “You don’t know for sure. Maybe some of that will…”

She suddenly pushed at his chest. “What are you doing?”

“No one’s looking. See? Diana rushed both Gradys out the minute Lex started waving a gun around.” And Jones had Lex asleep by now.

She looked around. “Still, if the police come…”

“They’re not here yet.”

She swiped her eyes and looked up at him. “Then get me out of here. I just… want to feel safe.”

He nodded. “I can do that.”

“I know you can,” she said with a sniff. “And Clark?”

“Yeah?”

She gripped his collar and pulled, meeting his lips quickly before sliding them to his ear and looping her arms around his neck. “Take me home.”

He shook his head. “I wish I could.” But he lifted off.

“Then where are we going?”

******************

“God, these seats are hard,” Lois groaned, shifting on one of the orange chairs at the Metropolis P.D.’s break room. “Tell me again why you took me here. I only got to eat a banana and the coffee here is instant. Can’t we postpone? I mean, we might have better things to do,” she finished on a whisper, though she probably didn’t need to. It was the brink of dawn and the room was deserted.

Clark, or Superman, as he was still all dressed up in reds and blues, shook his head across the table. “The only thing you’ll do is sleep and you know it.”

“Fine,” she grunted. She made a note for future reference that feminine wiles wouldn’t work on him in super-mode. Besides, he was right. She didn’t have the energy to make good. “I mean, it’s morning now,” she said on a yawn.

His hand moved to pat her hand before he thought better of it. “I know and I’m sorry, but you’re a material witness and fleeing the scene could…”

“Ridiculous. I was an innocent party.”

He gave her a look.

“Yeah. Fine. I know the law,” she grumbled. 

“Besides, you aren’t completely innocent.”

She crossed her arms. “Is Officer Diana going to book me for theft?”

He gave her a half smile. “She’s deciding. She had to be in DC today.” His smile dropped. “You could have told us, you know.”

“No, I couldn’t.” She shrugged sadly. “I tried over and over to tell you, all of you, that she was still lying her shiny hair off and everyone just gave me a pat on the head.” She threw up her hands. “Anyway, would it have been better if I hadn’t? Maybe Lex would have snatched Lana up solo and how would we have found her? Or maybe he’d take her right from your mother’s house and get an eyeful of all of you. Or maybe…”

“I get it. I really do. I know why you did what you did. I just… I wish it hadn’t happened that way. I don’t want to feel like that again.”

“Like what?”

“Powerless,” he said, staring at the table. “Helpless, even. I kept moving, kept going, no time to think.” He took a deep breath. “I was afraid to stop because, whenever I thought about you gone… It wasn’t something I could even...” He looked up. “I can’t imagine life without you. And I don’t want to. Lois, I…”

“Maybe this isn’t the place for that,” she cut in. She held his stare for a moment before slipping her gaze away. Sometimes he was too damned much… and not enough. Would she let him finish that sentence if they were off and alone? Maybe. Maybe she’d even answer back. And that was a very big and scary idea for another place… with better coffee. “Speaking of that, why here? Why isn’t Smallville PD interrogating me?”

“Would you rather they did?

She set her coffee away. “Maybe. If they provide their victims something that doesn’t come in powdered form.”

“You were taken in Metropolis and Smallville can be briefed by them. Nobody was haggling over jurisdiction. I just thought you’d be more comfortable with city cops.” 

“I’d be more comfortable with a full night’s sleep and a shower and…”

“Hey, the police are just getting used to working with my type. We need to stay on their good side.”

“I know, I know. I’m just tired.” She snapped her fingers in front of her own face. “Keep me awake. What did they do with Lex?”

“He’s been taken to Belle Reve. I suggested it as I thought that would be a little more… helpful to him than prison.”

“Not if Lorna Leery’s on staff.”

“I doubt she will be.”

“I don’t suppose she’s fessed up to anything.”

“Smallville PD interviewed Lana in the hospital,” he whispered. 

“Well, she’s not an innocent party, that’s for sure. And I have no idea what she might have said, now that she can lie again. How am I supposed to figure out what I’m going to say?”

“If you’re worried she compromised any of us somehow, don’t. I had Victor access her statement. She claims Lex broke in with his thugs and drugged her while her friend, Lois, was helping her pack some clothes and that’s all she remembered before being handed to the paramedics.”

“Sounds like they went easy on her.”

“Probably. It’s Smallville and they know her.”

Lois snorted. “I bet they’re all readying the fatted calf for her triumphant return to life. And what about you and the others?”

“They know several vigilantes were on the scene and are willing to take my statement as to what happened.”

“And what is your statement?”

“I’m still working on it. But I think they’ll understand that we wanted to extract the victims as quickly as possible before sirens were involved.”

“And what do I say?” She groaned and leaned heavily on the table. “Maybe I’ll pull a Lana. I was drugged, too. I mean, chloroformed, but still… That way anything anyone says, like Grady or his dad, I just… don’t even remember.”

Clark grunted, pulling in her coffee, sniffing at it before also pushing it away. “They’re still trying to figure out whether to prosecute them, considering they were coerced.”

“Well, they were. And… the actual Doctor Grady did help me out a bit in the end. Where is Grady?”

“The older is being transferred to the halfway house he’d originally been released to before Lex interceded. And Kevin’s been taken to Met Gen since Smallville doesn’t have a proper psych ward. They’re looking him over for injuries... besides liver damage. He’ll likely be taken to Belle Reve as well.”

She frowned. “I’m trying to decide if he’s claiming insanity or genuinely gone off. Still, I feel like something needs to be done about Kevin’s past crimes.”

“Well, the police don’t know about those. If he decides to confess or we expose him, he could be jailed for fraud or practicing medicine without… or with a bogus license. That could be traced back to Lana, but if we want to pursue it…”

Lois groaned. “Great. More of this.”

“What?” 

“Deciding what not to tell,” she said tiredly, standing up and pacing around the table. “Sometimes I wish it were simpler. That’s all.” She rubbed her eyes. “And we have Lana’s crimes. What do we do about those?”

“You mean Lorna Leery’s employment or Lex’s money?”

“It’s more than that. You heard the recordings.” She stopped in front of him. “And the late Lana has been found alive now, giving out her own name. Maybe they can prosecute her for death-faking,” she frowned and paced back to her side, “though I guess that’s hypocritical of me to say.”

“Well, from a police standpoint, her hiding from Lex under an assumed name might seem justified, given him abducting the two of you.”

“I know, but she has to pay for some of what she did.”

“I think she already did. I mean, what you two went through…”

She paced back to him, irritated. “How are you not angry about this? Or gloating, even?”

“Gloating?”

“Well, you were right. I wasn’t just coerced. I was drugged and mind-whammied into it between Lana and Grady,” she muttered. “The both of them deserve…”

“Lois, back up.” He peered at her closely. “Mind-whammied into what?”

She moved closer, horrified. “The recordings. Were they…” Her hand flew to her mouth. “Please tell me they weren’t erased. The pen…”

“No. They’re on there. I mean, we had to find you. So we looked for the bang and that’s where Lex came in and…”

She gripped his cape. “You didn’t listen?” He hadn’t. She could tell by his dumbfounded look.

“Not all the way,” he hissed. “We were kind of focusing on finding you and safely...”

“But you have to listen!”

“Miss Lane?” An officer stepped in, looking rather startled to see a reporter berating Superman.

She let Clark’s cape fall from her hand with an awkward laugh as she stood. “That’s me.”

“Follow me, please?”

“Of course.” She moved after him, then twisted back to face Clark. “For God’s sake, Superman, listen,” she hissed. “Listen now!”

***********

“Victor!” Clark passed his mother in the dining room. 

“Clark, you need to…”

“Not now, Mom. Victor!” He rushed upstairs, feeling like a prize dunce. Why didn’t he listen? Well, he knew why. There wasn’t time, but couldn’t he have listened just a little? Just enough to get the gist of it?

“Hey!” Victor was boxing up some surge protectors. “Man of the hour! You really did good last night. Not every day we get a full-on happy ending. No casualties, Lex locked up just where he belongs, Lois safe, Lana free...”

“Yeah. I’m not so sure how happy we should be about that last part,” he muttered. Lois wouldn’t be this upset if Lana’s crimes were less than horrendous. “Where’s the pen?”

“Your mom’s still got it, I think. I’d better get it back from her at some point. We’ll need a copy just for the database.” He looked around. “Damn! I’m mostly packed for the harbor, here. Hey, could you tell her to make a zip file and…”

“Yeah, sure,” Clark mumbled, rushing downstairs. He found his mother, still in the dining room with headphones on, the pen plugged into her laptop. “Mom, I need to hear that.”

“Yes, you do.” Martha took her headphones off with a weary look. “With you all so busy, I decided someone should hear the rest. I’ve heard it twice now, once with Linda.” She stood with a sigh. “I had to almost force her to lie down with some chamomile. She’s pretty angry.” She pulled him to the chair.

“At what?” He was feeling edgy now, not wanting to sit down at a time like this.

“I think you just need to hear it to believe it.” She moved the cursor along the track and pressed play. 

There was just shuffling first, then Lois’ voice.

“So… we’ll just swing by The Port Inn and grab your stuff.”

“Thanks again,”
 Lana now. “It might be nice to sleep all the way through a night.”

“Well, even if you don’t,”
 Lois said, her voice almost chirpy. “I have plenty of good coffee for the morning. I don’t skimp.” He knew that tone. If it were him, he’d know she was up to something. 

But Lana didn’t know. In fact she laughed. “No. You never did. You were always a connoisseur. I was almost flattered you frequented The Talon over The Beanery.”

“Beanery?”

“It was a rival coffee shop. It’s gained some ground with how Lex let things go. Not for long, though. You know, I think that’s one of the main draws, putting The Talon back on top again when… Well, if…”


He groaned and turned to his mother. “How much of this…”

“Soon,” she said, patting his arm.

“… and you can have the exclusive,” he heard Lana say after even more pipe dream talk. 

“Huh?”

“Well, I’ll have to give an interview. Who better than you and Clark?”


He rolled his eyes, doubting that would happen, with what he suspected he’d hear. 

When he did hear it, he was glad he had his mother with him. Otherwise, the dining room table would be missing a chunk. He clenched his fists in his lap. Whatever Lois thought, he didn’t feel like gloating. He’d rather have been wrong than to think Lana did this, that Lana was behind so much of… everything. 

“When you pulled me in, I thought it was like a sign. I was meant to be there. I could fix you. It would be for the best. It was actually…”

“Stop it,”
 he heard Lois gasp. “You got it wrong. Because I’ve only just accepted what I…” She stopped, breathing heavily. “You can’t take that away and make it… Go back!”

“But I did it. I had to. It was the only way. You see…”

“I don’t see!”


Neither did Clark. There was no way to make this or Lana anything but wrong.

“Go back! You had it wrong. I did it. There were notes and…”

“You backed out,”
 Lana droned on. “You went home. You put on pajamas like you were just giving up. I couldn’t let you give up. Someone had to make sure you followed through. I thought it was like fate. You needed to let him go. You didn't want any more pain. All those memories bring are pain. You wanted to be Lois Lane. I was helping…”

“Stop it!”


“I’ve heard enough,” he growled, hands shaking as he took off the headphones and tried not to crunch them to pieces. 

His mother put a hand out. “Clark…”

“That’s where Lex came in,” he said, pacing to the door. “I heard that part enough to…”

“I know. Just stop and think...” 

“I need to go.”

“Where?”

He turned sharply. “Maybe the hospital. Maybe Lana needs a visit.”

“Please calm down!”

“I’m not going to hurt her, Mom! You know me better than that.”

“Yes, but I also know Superman can’t be seen berating helpless patients. Now, I had Bart go and get a suit from your place. It’s laid out in my room. Put it on and don’t forget your glasses.” She rubbed his back. “I’m sorry about this.”

“You’re not the one who’ll be sorry,” he said lowly.

*************

Lois thanked the officer and hopped out of the police cruiser in front of The Daily Planet. She’d had them drop her straight here. It was after nine by now and she was late for work. So was Clark, if he’d heard everything. She doubted he’d be coming in and she’d have to make excuses for both of them. She’d also have to figure out how the story should go as the police had released word of the incident by now. She’d have to figure out how to write it up before she could finally get some sleep.

The bullpen was frenetic when she moved in, noting all the eyes on her. She pasted on a smile as she made her way to Perry. “Rough night.”

“Well, here she finally is!” he said loudly. “Look at you. I can’t believe I didn’t hear it from you first.”

“Perry, I can explain. I still have no idea where my cell is and…”

“Oh, I’ve got the picture.”

She glanced down at her rather dirty clothes. “I suppose I do look…”

“Cat already sent me a rough transcript. Riveting stuff.”

“Cat?”

He laughed and shook his head, pulling her into his office. “You sneaky thing. You and Clark. All this time, you had her and you never said a word,” he finished as he shut the door.

“Had who?” She took a seat, her stomach dropping to the chair before the rest of her did.

“The late Mrs. Luthor who.” He chuckled and took a seat behind his desk. “I mean, I understand things had to be hush-hush, but you could have given me a heads-up.” He started typing and clicking. “But all’s well that ends with Luthor getting what’s coming to him. Now, I’m shooting you and Clark the transcript, see if you have anything to add before she finishes it up. She’s stuck in Smallville, but she said she’ll have something within the hour. Tell you what, if you two help me clean up some of her tabloid wording, I’ll give you secondary story credit even with your names in the article, but Grant’s still on top as she took the initial interview from Lang.”

“So… Cat interviewed Lana.”

Perry looked up. “I’m sorry. I thought you knew. I’m surprised your old pal, Lana, didn’t tell you herself.”

“No. She didn’t say a word,” Lois said, standing abruptly. “I’ll take a look at that transcript now.”

******************

Clark rushed through the halls of Smallville’s Medical Center, trying to keep his speed relatively normal and trying to get past person after person telling him the happy news… and the unhappy news. 

“Oh, she just left. But can you believe it? Our Lana’s been alive all this…”

“Yeah. It’s amazing. Did she say where she was going?”

“No. Someone sent a car.” Nurse Brennan smiled. “Should have known you’d be the first to visit her… Well, the second,” she teased. “Little hint. Bring some flowers if you’re coming to…”

“I’m actually seeing someone,” he said impatiently. “Who else came to visit?”

“Turn around see for yourself, Babydoll,” a voice said behind him. 

He turned to see Cat Grant leaning in the doorway of the waiting room.

“Oh,” he heard Nurse Brennan say, “Is she the lucky…”

“No,” he said, tried not to snap. “What are you doing in Smallville?” He moved toward Cat.

“Could ask you the same. Did Perry send you down?” she said absently, moving to an open laptop on the coffee table. She stilled. “Oh, wait. You’re probably visiting. High school sweethearts and all that.”

He shook his head. “How do you know that?”

“Lana.”

“Lana!”

She put her hands up. “Hey, I didn’t want to step on your toes. I even asked if she'd rather give you guys the interview. But she seemed to think that was a conflict, so here I am. Not complaining.” Cat laughed and sat down, started typing. “I hope they let me stay a little longer. I’m trying to write it all out while it’s fresh because the drive here’s a real b*tch.” She muttered. “I sent Perry the transcript. He said he was sending it to you guys to look over. I guess you didn’t get a look yet.”

“No, I… Where’s Lana?”

“Probably The Grand if I know Luthorcorp.” She snorted. “With word getting out about Lex, they offered to put her up, sent a towncar. Don’t want the company getting a black eye along with him, I guess.” She turned to Clark. “While I’ve got you, let me get my recorder…” She picked up her purse and dug in it. “Do you want me to get your side now or…”

“My side of what?” Superman was the only one with any involvement in last night, even whatever version Lana must have given.

“The great subterfuge. I mean, I know he only abducted Lois. But he must be pretty ticked off at you, too.”

“Are you talking about Lex?”

“Yes, Lex! Lana said you were in on the operation, trying to restore her to the living and all. And you never told us?” Cat shrugged and smiled. “The things that go on right under our noses. Crazy, huh?”

“That’s one word for it,” he grunted. Deceptive was another. Sneaky, underhanded…

“So you up for it, or what?” Cat held up her recorder.

“No.” He had to get out of here. “I need to… check on Lois, wherever she is.” She had to know what was going on before… Before what? They were already too damned late to stop whatever it was Lana was putting out there. Perry had a f*cking transcript!

“She’s at the Planet, according to... No. Wait. Perry had Jimmy take her home, said she was too tired or something. As for you…”

“I need to go.”

Cat huffed. “You know, if you two don’t get in on this, I will be taking that byline all by my lonesome.”

“Go ahead,” Clark growled before moving out of the hospital and into the streets, not wanting to waste time changing, moving too fast to be seen until he got there.

He’d barely knocked on her door when Lois threw it open. “She did it! I can’t believe she… Jesus! Of course I can believe she didit, but I can’t believe she got the jump on us like that.”

He moved in. “Cat’s already writing it up for the evening edition,” he grunted.

“So much for us getting the exclusive,” Lois muttered, slamming the door. 

“I don’t think we want it.”

“Still, it’s just another lie she told me. Why would she let that happen? She wouldn’t want our version of events out there.”

“Yeah, well Cat seems to be waiting for our side of the story.”

“She can wait forever.” Lois paced to her dining room table, opening her laptop. “Because I don’t think we have a side of the story to go with this horse sh*t. I think Lex came after us because he knew Lois was helping me,” Lois read angrily. “I was so afraid to be alive again. I knew he’d never let me live in peace. But Lois and Clark… they convinced me to do the right thing, to come out of the shadows and help put him where he belongs. And, I mean, I know Superman and his friends rescued us, but they’re the real heroes here. My God!” Lois pushed her chair away, and stood, clutching her stomach. “I haven’t even eaten and I feel like I’m going to be sick!”

“Okay.” Clark moved to her. “Deep breaths.”

“Oh, you take deep breaths,” she huffed, batting him away. “You heard the recordings, didn’t you? Your mother said you did. You know what happened!”

“Yes! And I’m mad as hell.” He did take deep breaths then. “So we need to calm down and figure out what to do.”

“You know the truth,” she said lowly, “and you know these lies are going to be out there instead!” She threw up her hands. “And now she’s getting everything she wanted! Probably even more! Lex even helped out! Destroyed his own reputation and saved her the…” She stopped, her eyes widening. “Maybe that was all part of the plan. Keep close to us, taunt him by showing up with that Doctor, knowing he’d come after her, knowing you’d save her.” She poked a finger at Clark. “And now…”

“We don’t know she planned that far ahead.”

“We don’t know she didn’t! And now… now she’ll be society’s darling! The poor, beleaguered Mrs. Luthor… I can’t even stand it!”

“So maybe we can stop this,” Clark said firmly.

“How?”

He dug into his pocket and held up the pen recorder. “With the truth.”

She stared at it, shaking her head. “Clark, your identity is all over that thing. So’s mine.”

“But maybe we can find a way to cover that part up. Scramble it or…”

She leaned heavily on her table. “Please don’t say food words.”

“God, Lois!” He put the pen down and pulled her in. “Did you sleep or eat yet?”

“I can’t.” She shook her head against his chest. “I’m either too hungry to sleep or too tired to eat.”

“Okay, just pause this and sit down.” He kissed the top of her head. “I’ll make something.” He set her away and opened her fridge. “Creamer, pickles, baking soda...” He reached in and pulled out some eggs. “Any idea if these are still good?” He turned to her and promptly dropped them on the floor. “Lois!”

He caught her before she hit the table. 

She was shaking, her eyes open, breath coming out in choked wheezes. 

“What do I do?” He gasped, not even sure who he was talking to. “Lois!”

Then she stopped, just as suddenly as she started, eyes going wide and the muscles seeming to strain beneath her skin before she stilled and dropped unconscious in his arms.

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally loved it. Can't wait for more.

April said...

Thank you, Mysterious Reader. :) I've just got to get one in on another fic and I'll be back to this for the finish.

Trinity said...

I don't know what you meant by warning us that we will be angry, because I loved it and I can't wait for more!

IolantheAlias said...

Did Lois just remember everything? Did Kevin Grady do some sort of delayed-release thing?

Post more soon, please!

April said...

@Trinity: Well, I wasn't sure if people would be disappointed Doctor Grady's machine was just a "light show" and didn't restore our girl. The story isn't quite over yet.

@iolanthealias: I am saying nothing except that I should have a new chapter up tomorrow or the next day.